Playing stood up as well as sat down.

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
GuitarBizarre

Playing stood up as well as sat down.

#1 Post by GuitarBizarre » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Pretty much what it says on the tin. I have trouble playing a lot of things stood up as opposed to sat down.

I know a lot of it is because the guitar is closer to the head and so on, and that practice makes perfect, but theres some things I have trouble doing that seem just impossible stood up!

For example, this sweep shape:

Code: Select all

|----3---|   |---3---|    |----3---|   |---3---|   
      E    E   E   E   E   E    E    E   E   E   E   E   
E||-----------------------13h--17p--13------------------|
B||-------------------15----------------15--------------|
G||---------------14------------------------14----------|
D||-----------15--------------------------------15------|
A||--12h--17----------------------------------------17--|
E||-----------------------------------------------------|

Sat down, that shape is simple. Stood up, its guitar acrobatics just to hit the second note of the shape cleanly. I know its a bit of a stretch, but I can't for the life of me figure out why its so hard. I shouldn't need to hike my guitar up any more, since its FAR from low slung.

Other than resting the guitar on my inner leg or striking some obscure pose, what could I be doing wrong?

Shade

#2 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:19 pm

Being lower down like that on the neck(lower as in, on the fat strings). Your fingers are having to reach across more fingerboard space to fret the notes, causing your wrist to be at an angle that you're not used to while sitting down.

This is normal, and it will take practice to get used to, but my first advice would be to make sure you're completely stretched out and warmed up when you play standing up. You don't want to strain anything.

Do a search on youtube for "john petrucci stretches" and give them a try. You may find that it helps somewhat.

Good luck!

Edit: You most likely aren't doing anything "wrong". Just try subtle adjustments to your your hand position until you find the most comfortable position. Remember, if it hurts, don't try to push through the pain, especially if your forearm/wrist starts to hurt.

another virtuoso

#3 Post by another virtuoso » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:00 pm

its only hard to you because you dont play standing on a regular basis.
i'm sure playing upside down would seem normal too if thats how you had always practiced. it's just a matter of getting use to it.

i guess Nike says it best... Just do it.

Zebula77

#4 Post by Zebula77 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:51 am

Or you could just 'cheat' like John Petrucci and rest your leg on a monitor or something. :wink:

boswell

#5 Post by boswell » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:43 am

Or like Tom Morello strap high so the guitar is in the same position wether stood or sat 8)

joebot

#6 Post by joebot » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:33 pm

ha ha ha, personally I do both, I have it quite high and when a really tricky bit comes up I stick my foot on the monitor, it doubles up as a rock pose as well :lol:

Duggy

#7 Post by Duggy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:10 am

:lol: What about the lot of us who don't have your fancy "stage monitors"?

And yes, I too find it hard to play arpeggios high up on the neck whilst standing. What I find helpful is to do is what Pablo does here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE at about 2:47

Masi

#8 Post by Masi » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:34 am

One thing I picked up from studying classical woodwinds is that my teacher insisted I practice standing up...I've tried to carry that over to the guitar...
Makes a lot of difference.
At the very least warming up before performances should be done standing up...