Most accessible Vai song?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
CanCan

Hello shredders. I'd like to ask you all what is the most accessible song from our favourite axe-handler to play? I'm looking for a challenge.
Big Bad Bill

'Die to Live', I'd say. Having said that, I don't think any of Steve's pieces is easy in the way, say, a Van Halen song is easy. Steve always keeps things interesting in his music, which means ones fingers and brain have to always be on the move. Never an easy task!
BorgAngel

Frank is not that hard. At least they told me. I never looked at the song. I listen to it a lot cause I love it.
CanCan

I'm fully aware none of Vai's song can be classed as easy, but as I said, I want a challenge, and not something to fry my brain in the process.
sunai

+1
die to live was the first vai song i learnt to play and proud to say perfected. but the mountain just keeps gettin steeper!!
Stephen Brown

CanCan wrote:I'm fully aware none of Vai's song can be classed as easy, but as I said, I want a challenge, and not something to fry my brain in the process.
Try For The Love Of God.

Easy to play. Very hard to get right.

The whole thing is a work out on it's own merit.

Also try Warm Regards. Has some amazing phrase work.

Crying Machine is another feel great to play song. Dee dee da da dee da da.

Sisters. Get hard as the chords stetching get intense.

Just pace yourself really. You are talking hours of practise either way.
Jeries

learn FREAK SHOW EXCESS first and then every Vai song will be really really easy after that.
resha

I don't completely agree on Die to Live being easy.

It's asong that does not contain difficult passages (as far as technique goes), but to get it right, to get that particular feeling when you play it (and the ones who tried to play it that way would know what I mean) is absolutely the most difficult thing to learn.

I put my hands on it especially for this reason, to play it that way and not only put the fingers where they sould be :)
Big Bad Bill

resha wrote:I don't completely agree on Die to Live being easy.

It's asong that does not contain difficult passages (as far as technique goes), but to get it right, to get that particular feeling when you play it (and the ones who tried to play it that way would know what I mean) is absolutely the most difficult thing to learn.
Yeah, there are lots of little notes and phrasings 'hidden' in there that you don't really hear, but the piece doesn't dound right with out them!

Warm Regards is another good one, actually. I never thought of that one.
resha

Big Bad Bill wrote:
resha wrote:I don't completely agree on Die to Live being easy.

Yeah, there are lots of little notes and phrasings 'hidden' in there that you don't really hear, but the piece doesn't dound right with out them!

Warm Regards is another good one, actually. I never thought of that one.
Yeah.

But Warm Regards is way far from being easy imho! The sweeps and tapping parts are actually quite hard :roll:
guyver_dio

name 1 song of steve's that doesn't require a particular feeling?

I'd try a fair few out that you like to listen to, not in full, but just bits and pieces and see which you find most fun to play, then decide on getting that song down pat even if it has some real scary passages in it, it doesn't matter how difficult it is if you spend time on them, anything can be achieved and sometimes you really click with a certain song so you might get lucky. Personally my very first vai tunes I tried to learn were Die To Live and The Crying Machine. Don't worry about feel to much, that comes when it starts getting comfortable to play. I've known them for years and I'm still learning to feel them, that's an ongoing learning experience.
newmacman
Newcomer

His musical ideas are very long.....

Sometime I get a little lost just as a listener... Never mind tryin to learn one of his songs!!

I do like the intro to Going Crazy from Eat'm and Smile!

http://www.JohnDennerRocks.com
TRIDS

I think Die to Live is a good one only if you really listen to the song closely. It has easier notes to play then other vai songs, but the way he kinda like half assedly palm mutes and has the these nuances about how he plays it that makes it kind of a bitch to play.
slash89

Try Salamanders in the Sun :wink:

Quite simple to play, but very funny.
progmetalpilgrim

Jeries wrote:learn FREAK SHOW EXCESS first and then every Vai song will be really really easy after that.
haha, yeah...

I'd really like to learn Giant Balls Of Gold, cool melody in that one... Also the Fire Garden Suite, but that one could take a while... :P