Breaking strings while playing live

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
anthony d
Newcomer

I have seen Vai play about six times and never seen him break a string live. I am interested to know on what I could do if this this happened to me while playing live. I use a floral Jem and enjoy use of the floating tremolo but when a string breaks, all the other strings go out of tune.

Would Steve simply stop the show and grab another guitar?

My band mates encourage me not to stop until we see the rest of the song out.

People talk about Stevie Ray Vaughan breaking strings live and how he still doesnt miss a note. This is OK if your using a Strat but what about floating systems?

I am interested to hear from anyone regarding this. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
another virtuoso

you cant finish out a song using a floating trem after a string breaks. well, you cant finish it without it sounding HORRIBLE, anyway. cause like you said the whole thing goes out of whack when one string breaks.

steve has several guitars he takes with him on tour. when he breaks a string the song stops, because you cant exactly finish off a steve vai song without steve vai. he could have his tech thomas nordeg restring it while he replays the song with a different guitar.

when playing live, especially if your using a floating trem, you want to have a spare around for when things go wrong so you can quickly get back to playing music and so the audience does not lose patience with you.
Guitarmiester

There's a video of Vai playing at one of the Ibanez Anniversary shows where he broke, I think, the high E string and finished his solo. His tone was is pretty bad in this video, but it didnt sound like he was way out of tune.
Last edited by Guitarmiester on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarbonham

i was going to ask about this too... im gonna try and pull canon rock which is by far the most technical song i have ever attempted live (probalby next most is like la grange or paranoid lol) so i wouldn't be surprised if a string broke just to make it that more stressful... lol but anyway since this all follows the same chord progression i was just gonna tell the rest of the band that if i do just solo or something until the chord progression starts again and im ready. i'm gonna be playing in a time limit at a talent show so i have to do it that way. won't have time to start the song over.
Jeries

At the phoenix show last sat during DIE TO LIVE Steve's strap lock completely broke off the guitar, he stood their puzzled for a moment and cued the band to stop, grabbed EVO and started from the beginning after talking to the crowed for a second

ps...jimi hendrix broke his high E at woodstock
Big Bad Bill

Doesn't Steve break a string on 'Alive in and Ultra World' and has that impromptu mess around with the rest of the band while Thomas sorts it? Or is he just out of tune?
Steen

Big Bad Bill wrote:Doesn't Steve break a string on 'Alive in and Ultra World' and has that impromptu mess around with the rest of the band while Thomas sorts it? Or is he just out of tune?
He breaks a string in Devil's Food and is out of tune in Babushka. He messes around with the band in both songs. :P
Guitarmiester

Jeries wrote:ps...jimi hendrix broke his high E at woodstock
...and?

There's not going to be a big change in tuning if you break a string on a guitar that doesn't have a floyd rose.

Here's the video of Timmons, Vai, and Pablo at the Ibanez Ann. show. Vai breaks his high E string just as his solo starts, you'll notice it around 2:25.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_P4a-zUjM3Q& ... ed&search=

They need to get Timmons on a G3 tour!
guyver_dio

Most professional concerts I've seen where the guitarist has broken a string the rest of the band will keep the progression going and keep repeating it over and over until another guitar is quickly run out to them, plug it in and just finish it off. The only time I've ever seen a professional band actually have to bring the song to a complete stop was with malmsteen in alcatrazz, where he like needed a replacement quickly and they brought one out but then no sound was coming out of the replacement guitar so they were trying to sort that out while the band kept playing the same thing over and over and over waiting for ages and eventually malmsteen just lifted the guitar over his head and the rest of the band ended it. It's considered very unprofessional to just bring a song to a complete stop and you would never catch a pro band doing it (mostly because they have back-ups ready to go at a moments notice anyway).

For just your average band, if you haven't got a spare guitar tuned up then the rest of the band should just end it sooner but not just completely stop the song in the middle of something. It's funny though when it happens to see just who is paying attention in the band lol.

EDIT: My god Andy Timmons is a beast lol
Jeries

I saw a video of Aerosmith on Saturday Night Live and he breaks a string and finishes up the song, i think it was Janeys Got A Gun...
once for guitarmaggeddon in one of the regional finals i was in i broke 3 strings...then by the end started ripping the other ones off...

the was the last time i used a .007 string for the high E
Breeder

Guitarmiester wrote:
Here's the video of Timmons, Vai, and Pablo at the Ibanez Ann. show. Vai breaks his high E string just as his solo starts, you'll notice it around 2:25.
Smart move,this is nice lesson -don`t learn CAGED system only :lol:
Rachmaninoff

Break a string with a floyd is terrible...
Panic.
Stephen Brown

Down a local, breaking a string is like a crime. The looks you get. I think it's funny but some none players have no idea with a floyd why it's so hard to carry on. I've died a death. :D :lol: :P & been given a pink strat to carry on with. :shock:
Now that's the blues.lol
-SkiZ-

FRETPICK wrote:Down a local, breaking a string is like a crime. The looks you get. I think it's funny but some none players have no idea with a floyd why it's so hard to carry on. I've died a death. :D :lol: :P & been given a pink strat to carry on with. :shock:
Now that's the blues.lol
LOL
V-type

I was thinking...cuz on my Wolfgang, the floyd is set and flush with the body, not floating. If I broke a string, would it still go amazingly out of tune?