Playing "sloppy" as a style?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
prman

Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:Personally Live or Recorded I don't mind little imperfections, slight mis timings, bends not quite to pitch but only in very small doses.
Personally, I wouldn't want a piece of my work entering the public domain if it had yawning glitches, fluffs and outright mistakes in it since it's that that people will remember you for. I don't want that!
Well, if the only thing people will remember about your music is the mistakes then there might be something wrong in the music itself... People will always remember the most impressive thing. It might be the impressive mistakes, songwriting, mood, singer, whatever.
spanishphrygian

There are tons of songs that have massive mistakes kept in the released cut. I remember "Master of Puppets," was one for example.

'Mistakes' created a lot of new trends in music.
another virtuoso

its not the mistake itself that creates the trend.
for instance paul gilberts fingerstyle playing isnt very good, and he played the end of To Be With You solo a bit slow, but it turned out sounding even better. it added a little character. try playing several parts of the solo slow and then it just sounds like a guy who cant play worth $h*t.
your crazy if you think you can go out and play in such a fashion that competes with the kid in the music store banging away at iron man and have people wanting to listen to you.
in some situations, a little slip up, or in some times even complete havoc can turn out to be a pretty neat thing. but to make that your "style"............... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

IMO

:roll: ..lol

*edit: although i will add that it sometimes depends on the genre. punk bands - the bands dont play "well" because nobody cares. not even the people in the band. they dont want to put the time into getting "good". think about the White Stripes! but at the same time these people arent messing up on purpose because they think its going to make their music cool.
burnt out

boswell wrote:
burnt out wrote:60's and 70's rock MUSIC is just far superior to any of the crap that has come after.
I take it you are someones grand father....................yawn :roll:
I take it you are some tone deaf gimp........ZZZ zzz SNORE zzz ZZZ.....

Oh and...
FUCK YOU you ageist little teenybopper Image

die !!!!!!!!!!!!
Masi

Marc Ribot, my friends...

He's recorded some really challenging tech stuff and chooses to play with a very cool and "sloppy" aesthetic...
Once backstage when really rshredding away he said something to the effect of: "I'm getting this out now, so I dont need to on stage."

Personally I love to hear a virtuoso and virtuosity is taste.
(Ribot probably would'nt want to play Vai and vice versa...)
boswell

burnt out wrote: I take it you are some tone deaf gimp........ZZZ zzz SNORE zzz ZZZ.....

Oh and...

die !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 41 ......................and not naive enough to believe my generation is the only one to produce good music..............I enjoy listening to music from the Renaissance period right through to todays "teenyboppers"...........anyhow I stand corrected you are obviously someones Great Grand father 8)
burnt out

boswell wrote:
burnt out wrote: I take it you are some tone deaf gimp........ZZZ zzz SNORE zzz ZZZ.....

Oh and...

die !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 41 ......................and not naive enough to believe my generation is the only one to produce good music..............I enjoy listening to music from the Renaissance period right through to todays "teenyboppers"...........anyhow I stand corrected you are obviously someones Great Grand father 8)
WTF?

YOU'RE OLDER THAN ME YOU OLD GRANDPA MOTHERFUCKER!

And yet you're such a n00b!!!!

I bet your balls are old and shriveled too.

Oh well there's no accounting for taste I suppose. But bleh !!!!!!!

LOL :lol:
boswell

burnt out wrote:WTF?

Older and wiser...............and I don't stoop to throwing petty insults when the power of debate eludes me 8)
burnt out

boswell wrote:
burnt out wrote:WTF?

Older and wiser...............and I don't stoop to throwing petty insults when the power of debate eludes me 8)
And such a wonderful sense of humor too. Boy you're a real charmer.

And BY THE WAY this started with an insult from YOU. :lol:

wtf
burnt out

Masi wrote:Marc Ribot, my friends...

He's recorded some really challenging tech stuff and chooses to play with a very cool and "sloppy" aesthetic...
Once backstage when really rshredding away he said something to the effect of: "I'm getting this out now, so I dont need to on stage."

Personally I love to hear a virtuoso and virtuosity is taste.
(Ribot probably would'nt want to play Vai and vice versa...)
I preach taste all the time but it usually only falls on deaf ears. :cry:
another virtuoso

burnt out wrote:I preach taste all the time but it usually only falls on deaf ears. :cry:
"No one has the right to say, 'Our noise is better than their noise'." - Steve Vai
burnt out

another virtuoso wrote:
burnt out wrote:I preach taste all the time but it usually only falls on deaf ears. :cry:
"No one has the right to say, 'Our noise is better than their noise'." - Steve Vai
And your point is?

What does that have to do with what I said?

Nothing.

Oh.
another virtuoso

if you can't figure out how the two relate to each other, then I'm sorry, day to day life must be awfully difficult for you.
boswell

:lol:
Andrew J Dampier

Playing 'sloppy' often adds to that human factor.

If you think about the idea behind it, when used by guitarist who are primarily really clean guitarist, it's thrown in at peak moments or something given a little swagger or groove, a little roughness.

It's definitely used as a technique for some, for others, it's a complete form of playing.