Playing "sloppy" as a style?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
JBeCeDe

Hey,
this is something that came up to my mind when listening to some live metallica.

e.g. in fade to black kirk is using a very fast, unregular fingervibrato. he sometimes misses some notes in the main solo and does some slightly wrong bendings...he is sometimes introducing a very edgy (not to say sloppy) tone...

now me as a guitar addicted person, listening to vai, petrucci and all the other great would always aspire to nail these solos "perfect"...

i wondered if you guys would determine this "sloppy" playing as a solo style or simple inability to do it better?

i for some reason started to think that this "sloppy" style adds alot of "magic" to it

discuss :)

regards
mental speedin

Joe Perry lol enough said.

nah i think its just how certain guitars go. i personally think kirk is just sloppy but that might be the sound he wants n has decided not to improve his technique
Breeder

kirk is just out of tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw

Especially here on intro solo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1281YUs2M
JBeCeDe

Breeder wrote:kirk is just out of tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw

Especially here on intro solo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1281YUs2M
i dont think you understood what i was saying
Breeder

I understood perfectly well what you said, but as I said-he is just out of tune-it is not a style when it comes to him.
Good example for purposely playing sloppy is Vai`s solo on "Junkie"(in the middle of the song) or "Call it sleep" also by Vai, "Steve`s spanking" by Frank Zappa(also the solo)
JBeCeDe

Breeder wrote:I understood perfectly well what you said, but as I said-he is just out of tune-it is not a style when it comes to him.
Good example for purposely playing sloppy is Vai`s solo on "Junkie"(in the middle of the song) or "Call it sleep" also by Vai, "Steve`s spanking" by Frank Zappa(also the solo)
the question was not "do you think kirk hammet is sloppy" but "do you think playing sloppy can be determined a solo style?"

if you were to play fade to black in a cover band, what do you think would fit better? a "edgy" version or everything nailed 100%?
shredlord

Indeed, Kirk seems to get more and more unprecise. Most of the times, he doesn't play any solo like he did in the studio.
Impro, one could say. But he covers it up with a muddy 'wooosh' of trills and max level wah wah.

I don't know if he does it for fun or if he simply is not able to reproduce any of the more complicated solos of his past career.

Playing 'sloppy' as a style?

It's how you define 'sloppy'. Jimi Hendrix often did hit some strings that were not supposed to be hit, he did a lot of overbending and stuff.

Steve Vai himself often hits double notes when playing fast parts live like the fast run in the end of "For The Love..." (so does John Petrucci since he does his 'new style' of fast shredding), and noone can say if the sweeps at the end of "Freak Show Excess" are perfect...

You could say that making some little mistakes while playing with passion and vehemence is pretty normal and nothing bad, but I do not think that if one could avoid these mistakes, he or she wouldn't do so...

And no, 'style' and 'individuality' are no excuse for playing like an effin' sloth on crack. :lol:
Stephen Brown

Sloppy style in Blues works really well. SRV wa great at it. Off the top of my head.
It is an art form of it own though. Behind the beat,in front......pushing & pulling.
cosmic ape

shredlord wrote:And no, 'style' and 'individuality' are no excuse for playing like an effin' sloth on crack. :lol:
Couldn't agree with you more, bro... 8)
JBeCeDe

FRETPICK wrote:Sloppy style in Blues works really well. SRV wa great at it. Off the top of my head.
It is an art form of it own though. Behind the beat,in front......pushing & pulling.
wow finally some1 who got what i was talking about

this is no thread about kirk hammet ~

thx for your opinion
RAI

"Sloppy" is definitely a style to include in your arsenal.
It needs to be used properly, though.
To capture a mood, a certain style, or a certain player.
Hendrix is a good example. He wasn't perfect, so to add some slopp isn't exactly out of line. But to play some Hendrix cleanly won't spoil everything either...

Now, take something highly complex, and that was played flawlessly originally. You wouldn't be doing the piece any justice by playing it sloppy, would you?

As for a player that used to play it right, but is starting to "lose it", do him right, and play it like he used to...
sj_sparks
Newcomer

I would say the EVH in his heyday was a sloppy player (no disrespect to his abilities) but his rough and ready sense of timing sure made for great music.

Jimmy Page I am sure never did the woodshed thing with a metronome - he went with the "feel" - sloppy but great music.....
notavirtuoso

Some guys can be precisely sloppy, someone like Jeff Beck for instance. I call it slop control and dig it a lot.
Shade

People nowadays that try to imitate the tasteful sloppy style of famous blues players end up sounding just like that, imitations of tastefully sloppy famous blues players.

It's definitely a style, but not one that is going to be done better than it already has. Unless you define better as being even closer to the edge of unpleasant :).
Stephen Brown

Shade wrote:People nowadays that try to imitate the tasteful sloppy style of famous blues players end up sounding just like that, imitations of tastefully sloppy famous blues players.

It's definitely a style, but not one that is going to be done better than it already has. Unless you define better as being even closer to the edge of unpleasant :).
I wouldn't say that. Some modern players have really embraced the style & carried it over well. Kenny wayne Shepherd went to an SRV concert when he was 9 I think. Then there is Stevie's brother Jimmy. I'm sure Eric Johnson has the know how.
Last edited by Stephen Brown on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.