VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:06 pm 

BobDaNob wrote:
An added benefit is that after trying to grapple with the 16th at anything even slightly resembling full speed, Steve's piece will appear SOOO much easier and you'll seem to breeze through it.

Lets hear it Bob !! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 am 

That's one piece I've always loathed to post online, because it's always seemed as if it's everyone's rite of passage. LOL Sorta like Paganini's 5th Caprice or Flight of the Bumblebee, I guess. To many people have been there already that if I did ever upload it, it would have to be something oddly ecclectic. :P

I dunno, maybe I will one of these days. It is devilishly fun to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:42 am 

I'm begining to HATE eugenes trick bag :lol:

no matter how much i practice the really fast part i just cant get it sounding like vai :evil:
Musically its a dead end too i mean its just a really fast piece and doesnt really relate to my style of playing yet i really want to master the damn beast lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:13 am 

Hmmm i've just realised something else too...

I'm playing using a set of 9's...10's or 11's are gonna be very slightly tighter which will help the picking with this i think and i need all the help i can get no matter how small !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:20 pm 

I liked it because, at the time, it was the first thing I'd ever attempted to play with those crazyclassical arpeggios that cascade across all the strings. It was a turning point for me in terms of how much further I could take the guitar and I distinctly remember it being one of the most difficult things I ever learned, because it was completely new ground to me.

I remember fighting tooth and nail just to nail the first arpeggio...SLOWLY. lol And when I actually managed to play the first two arpeggios together for the first time ( very, very slowly), it was like a revelation. I left the mundane world of Metallica solos behind for this new, more exhilerating and elegant style of playing and ran face-first into guys like Becker, Petrucci and Vinnie Moore. As a result, my playing skyrocketed. Learning 'Eugene's Trick Bag' signaled the start of when my playing actually became good. LOL

I believe learning a piece like this has all sorts of benefits, even if it doesn't fit your style. For one, it forces you to become VERY good at picking across the strings. Once you have this down at a respectable speed, everything else seems to get just a bit easier because of the control that you now have. It also teaches you quite a bit about arpeggios and leading, too.

And I would comment on your take, but the computer I'm on for the immediate future has no sound. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:33 pm 

As already stated here, you have to start slowly, then, as you start to feel comfortable with the shape of the arpeggios, you'll start improving on speed... And, when you notice, you're playing it faster than Vai himself. Then you just have to make it groove... Remember, the less effort you make, and I mean, the less amount of strength you use, the less you move your fingers and the less you move your pick away from the strings, the better your playing and your sound will be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:39 pm 

I play it every day without fail. Have done for years. Some times it really works & others are a oopps. String skip section's the killer. Not the arps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 pm 

FRETPICK wrote:
String skip section's the killer. Not the arps.

That's why I say that you have to move your fingers only the strictly necessary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:01 am 

FRETPICK wrote:
I play it every day without fail. Have done for years. Some times it really works & others are a oopps. String skip section's the killer. Not the arps.

which part contains the string skipping ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:10 pm 

tweezersguitar! wrote:
FRETPICK wrote:

O.k I ment the hugh leaps around the high E & B...where your going up & down,followed by the diminshed run down.
Although there is string skips in the octaves with E notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:54 am 

FRETPICK wrote:
tweezersguitar! wrote:
FRETPICK wrote:

O.k I ment the hugh leaps around the high E & B...where your going up & down,followed by the diminshed run down.
Although there is string skips in the octaves with E notes.

I'm not entirely sure what string skipping is exactly...
Anyway i reckon half the battle of playing the fast alternate part is playing it the easiest way possible...I was struggling with the G#dim bit quite alot until i changed the tab to this....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:02 am 

Only trouble with all this talk is sometimes it can muck up what you already have down. Great work by the way. If it works for you then great.

It's not how I play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:54 pm 

It is what it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx4869Q0VF4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:35 am 

"I play it every day without fail. Have done for years."

sorry fretpick dude but that was 1. wrongly played (not talking bout position but tones) and 2. not anywhere near nailing it clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:03 am 

<Mike> wrote:
"I play it every day without fail. Have done for years."

sorry fretpick dude but that was 1. wrongly played (not talking bout position but tones) and 2. not anywhere near nailing it clean.

I'll have another crack at it at some point to a click.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next