VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:05 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am
Posts: 2310
Location: Norway
Always remember to gradually increace the tempo to avoid that annoying sloppy "14 year old guitar god" sound :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:28 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:23 pm
Posts: 1231
Location: Nashville, TN
slash89 wrote:
Always remember to gradually increace the tempo to avoid that annoying sloppy "14 year old guitar god" sound :wink:


ahhh..... i remember when i was a 14 year old guitar god.... those were the days! now i'm older. i've gained some knowledge and experience. and a better understanding of how i was never really a guitar god at all :|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:39 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:39 am
Posts: 57
Location: Glasgow,UK
This is about as good as i can get the fast part for the moment..another 10 years and i might just crack it.. :lol:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/296779286e7c80/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:14 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:43 am
Posts: 314
tweezersguitar! wrote:
This is about as good as i can get the fast part for the moment..another 10 years and i might just crack it.. :lol:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/296779286e7c80/

The reason you can't play any faster is because you're picking too hard and too deeply . Relax the left hand as well as the right. Go through the passage at about 1/4 the speed you played it in the clip paying very specific attention to hitting the string with a very small portion of the pick and using as little motion as possible to create a reasonable displacement of the string (volume=mf). When you feel comfortable with the technique, play through the passage in 'laps' about 3-5 times at each tempo with no mistakes, no clicks, no buzzes, no dull notes. When you can do the passage perfectly, 3 times in a row, bump up 4bpm. In about an hour (with a five minute break every 15 minutes, you can probably get there. When you can play it fast and clean enough at moderate volume, then work on playing hard enough to get the aggressive tone you're going for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:09 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:39 am
Posts: 57
Location: Glasgow,UK
Quote:
The reason you can't play any faster is because you're picking too hard and too deeply . Relax the left hand as well as the right. Go through the passage at about 1/4 the speed you played it in the clip paying very specific attention to hitting the string with a very small portion of the pick and using as little motion as possible to create a reasonable displacement of the string (volume=mf). When you feel comfortable with the technique, play through the passage in 'laps' about 3-5 times at each tempo with no mistakes, no clicks, no buzzes, no dull notes. When you can do the passage perfectly, 3 times in a row, bump up 4bpm. In about an hour (with a five minute break every 15 minutes, you can probably get there. When you can play it fast and clean enough at moderate volume, then work on playing hard enough to get the aggressive tone you're going for.


Thanks dude i'll give it a go


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:45 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:55 pm
Posts: 70
i personally refuse to believe that Vai can play this live, even when he played it live in Korea he skipped the arpeggios and went to the distored part. I'm sure he played it on the Crossroads movie, but not at that tempo. I think some studio magic had a hand into how great and harp-like it sounds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:32 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:43 am
Posts: 314
JohnStamos wrote:
i personally refuse to believe that Vai can play this live, even when he played it live in Korea he skipped the arpeggios and went to the distored part. I'm sure he played it on the Crossroads movie, but not at that tempo. I think some studio magic had a hand into how great and harp-like it sounds.

If he didn't play it at that tempo, he could have. There are a million guitar solos more difficult than the arpeggio passage in this tune. It simply is not even an 8/10 on the scale of difficulty. I'd estimate, at least 1 guitarist in EVERY major city can play this passage at 10bpm faster than the speed in the movie. Difficult? Yes Too difficult for Steve? No.
Let's let the tape speed issue rest, it's really not inhuman speed. If it was sped up, it was for the sake of the filming considerations, not because Steve was unable to execute the passage at that speed. Silly.
Great scene though, either way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXmHlSmamU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:45 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:39 am
Posts: 57
Location: Glasgow,UK
JohnStamos wrote:
i personally refuse to believe that Vai can play this live, even when he played it live in Korea he skipped the arpeggios and went to the distored part. I'm sure he played it on the Crossroads movie, but not at that tempo. I think some studio magic had a hand into how great and harp-like it sounds.


In the movie it certainly looks like he plays the distorted part live...if he didnt his fingers and picking hand move exactly in sync with the guitar part...this means to me that he can play it at that speed...unless they sped the film up too of course :D

heres my latest effort...slightly slower but sounding better !

http://www.zshare.net/audio/29963150913f94/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:23 pm
Posts: 1231
Location: Nashville, TN
sounding pretty good man. nice 'n clean.

my very favorite lick is the very first descending lick vai plays after devil dude says "Jack Butler's gonna like you... :twisted: " i'll just about always throw it into one of my turns when "dueling" with buddies.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:59 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:39 am
Posts: 57
Location: Glasgow,UK
Thanks !

I dont know if i can get it up to 145bpm or even be bothered trying :lol: the main thing for me is whether it sounds effortless and not rushed..kinda hard at 145bpm !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:23 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:23 pm
Posts: 1231
Location: Nashville, TN
take your time and you'll get it there, you've already got a good start.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:26 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:42 am
Posts: 530
Location: Sweden
hey that sounds very nice dude :) For how long have you been playing?

You know I think yur giving up too fast :wink: I defenitly think you can play it full speed if you really practise it.

And also, my advice (professional? perhaps not. but it works for me!)
Play it as friggin fast you can with a metronome. And I don't mean exactly precise, I mean Quite sloppy but not super sloppy.

Then after a while play it slower.

Whenever I do this, it works! :P

also, any tab for this? I wanna see how fast I can play it. (I'll tab it myself if not, so that's ok)

EDIT

never mind the tab, I found a good one on the internet.
And seriously, you saying vai has faked this?
This is not so Super hard... I mean, I don't wanna make any promises but I, who have played less than three years, can nail this in 80 % if I play it all day tomorrow... (100 % will be tricky as hell I know)

But Vai on the other hand... who had played prolly more than 15 years on that video... (and he's Vai dang it)
He can't play it?

This is not faked. It is highly possible to play it.

And as proof, I'll learn it! :twisted:

(dang what am I getting myself into? :( )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:02 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:39 am
Posts: 57
Location: Glasgow,UK
Go for it Mike :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:58 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am
Posts: 1774
Location: PETERSFIELD,HANTS
JohnStamos wrote:
i personally refuse to believe that Vai can play this live, even when he played it live in Korea he skipped the arpeggios and went to the distored part. I'm sure he played it on the Crossroads movie, but not at that tempo. I think some studio magic had a hand into how great and harp-like it sounds.


No studio magic. He can play it. Would have to wood shed it now maybe but back then NAILED.

I think your also find that the orig song was played a tad sharp of standard tuning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:31 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:42 am
Posts: 530
Location: Sweden
tweezersguitar! wrote:
Go for it Mike :P


thanks, I'm on it :twisted:

I managed to play it in 130 today, but going faster from there is Really difficult.

btw do you do the arpeggios too? (in the beginning)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group