VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:05 pm 

Always remember to gradually increace the tempo to avoid that annoying sloppy "14 year old guitar god" sound :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:28 pm 

slash89 wrote:
Always remember to gradually increace the tempo to avoid that annoying sloppy "14 year old guitar god" sound :wink:

ahhh..... i remember when i was a 14 year old guitar god.... those were the days! now i'm older. i've gained some knowledge and experience. and a better understanding of how i was never really a guitar god at all :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:39 am 

This is about as good as i can get the fast part for the moment..another 10 years and i might just crack it.. :lol:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/296779286e7c80/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:14 am 

tweezersguitar! wrote:
This is about as good as i can get the fast part for the moment..another 10 years and i might just crack it.. :lol:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/296779286e7c80/

The reason you can't play any faster is because you're picking too hard and too deeply . Relax the left hand as well as the right. Go through the passage at about 1/4 the speed you played it in the clip paying very specific attention to hitting the string with a very small portion of the pick and using as little motion as possible to create a reasonable displacement of the string (volume=mf). When you feel comfortable with the technique, play through the passage in 'laps' about 3-5 times at each tempo with no mistakes, no clicks, no buzzes, no dull notes. When you can do the passage perfectly, 3 times in a row, bump up 4bpm. In about an hour (with a five minute break every 15 minutes, you can probably get there. When you can play it fast and clean enough at moderate volume, then work on playing hard enough to get the aggressive tone you're going for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:09 am 

Quote:
The reason you can't play any faster is because you're picking too hard and too deeply . Relax the left hand as well as the right. Go through the passage at about 1/4 the speed you played it in the clip paying very specific attention to hitting the string with a very small portion of the pick and using as little motion as possible to create a reasonable displacement of the string (volume=mf). When you feel comfortable with the technique, play through the passage in 'laps' about 3-5 times at each tempo with no mistakes, no clicks, no buzzes, no dull notes. When you can do the passage perfectly, 3 times in a row, bump up 4bpm. In about an hour (with a five minute break every 15 minutes, you can probably get there. When you can play it fast and clean enough at moderate volume, then work on playing hard enough to get the aggressive tone you're going for.

Thanks dude i'll give it a go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:45 pm 

i personally refuse to believe that Vai can play this live, even when he played it live in Korea he skipped the arpeggios and went to the distored part. I'm sure he played it on the Crossroads movie, but not at that tempo. I think some studio magic had a hand into how great and harp-like it sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:32 am 

JohnStamos wrote:
i personally refuse to believe that Vai can play this live, even when he played it live in Korea he skipped the arpeggios and went to the distored part. I'm sure he played it on the Crossroads movie, but not at that tempo. I think some studio magic had a hand into how great and harp-like it sounds.

If he didn't play it at that tempo, he could have. There are a million guitar solos more difficult than the arpeggio passage in this tune. It simply is not even an 8/10 on the scale of difficulty. I'd estimate, at least 1 guitarist in EVERY major city can play this passage at 10bpm faster than the speed in the movie. Difficult? Yes Too difficult for Steve? No.
Let's let the tape speed issue rest, it's really not inhuman speed. If it was sped up, it was for the sake of the filming considerations, not because Steve was unable to execute the passage at that speed. Silly.
Great scene though, either way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXmHlSmamU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:45 am 

JohnStamos wrote:

In the movie it certainly looks like he plays the distorted part live...if he didnt his fingers and picking hand move exactly in sync with the guitar part...this means to me that he can play it at that speed...unless they sped the film up too of course :D

heres my latest effort...slightly slower but sounding better !

http://www.zshare.net/audio/29963150913f94/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 pm 

sounding pretty good man. nice 'n clean.

my very favorite lick is the very first descending lick vai plays after devil dude says "Jack Butler's gonna like you... :twisted: " i'll just about always throw it into one of my turns when "dueling" with buddies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:59 am 

Thanks !

I dont know if i can get it up to 145bpm or even be bothered trying :lol: the main thing for me is whether it sounds effortless and not rushed..kinda hard at 145bpm !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:23 am 

take your time and you'll get it there, you've already got a good start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:26 pm 

hey that sounds very nice dude :) For how long have you been playing?

You know I think yur giving up too fast :wink: I defenitly think you can play it full speed if you really practise it.

And also, my advice (professional? perhaps not. but it works for me!)
Play it as friggin fast you can with a metronome. And I don't mean exactly precise, I mean Quite sloppy but not super sloppy.

Then after a while play it slower.

Whenever I do this, it works! :P

also, any tab for this? I wanna see how fast I can play it. (I'll tab it myself if not, so that's ok)

EDIT

never mind the tab, I found a good one on the internet.
And seriously, you saying vai has faked this?
This is not so Super hard... I mean, I don't wanna make any promises but I, who have played less than three years, can nail this in 80 % if I play it all day tomorrow... (100 % will be tricky as hell I know)

But Vai on the other hand... who had played prolly more than 15 years on that video... (and he's Vai dang it)
He can't play it?

This is not faked. It is highly possible to play it.

And as proof, I'll learn it! :twisted:

(dang what am I getting myself into? :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:02 am 

Go for it Mike :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:58 am 

JohnStamos wrote:

No studio magic. He can play it. Would have to wood shed it now maybe but back then NAILED.

I think your also find that the orig song was played a tad sharp of standard tuning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:31 pm 

tweezersguitar! wrote:
Go for it Mike :P

thanks, I'm on it :twisted:

I managed to play it in 130 today, but going faster from there is Really difficult.

btw do you do the arpeggios too? (in the beginning)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next