Vai's techniques and style(s)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
guitarplayer
Newcomer

I apologize ahead of time if this is a repeat of a previous thread. I am new to this forum and in my looking around I saw nothing about this. Anyways, does anyone know if Steve Vai has put any books or dvd's out teaching his techniques and/or style(s)?

--Mike
theollieb

Go to the little black dots section in vai.com
-SkiZ-

theollieb wrote:Go to the little black dots section in vai.com
martian love secrets is really inspiring.
jemgirl

-SkiZ- wrote:
theollieb wrote:Go to the little black dots section in vai.com
martian love secrets is really inspiring.
ohhh yes!!
i loved to read that stuff..over and over again.
its very very good stuff!!

btw,
welcome aboard!!!!
VaiEvo

Check out the "Little Black Dots" section of the main site, and look up Steve's guitar workout (not sure if it's 10-hour or 30-hour, I can never remember...)
quiksilver98

Watch him play in concert, watch closely, the secret is in his fingers ;)
Masi

There's a book called "Guitar Extravagenza", where the Roth albums are transcribed and explained quite well and another book "Signature Licks" (or something similar) focusing on the PAW & SAR records.
The "Alien Love Secrets" record is available as a playback DVD. There you can see what his fingers are doing in those songs.
For a general analysis get the Live at Astoria DVD and make notes, if you're feeling nerdy :D
slash89

Steve is not a guitar teacher. He has not released an instuctional guitar DVD (yet). Check out the Freak Show Excess video and Incantation :)
pagliai

unfortunately the methods about vai are .....the albums,so when you play a album just like passion and warfare you can understand the way of playin of Steve,you can search 30 hours workout too where Steve explain more more and more ,and guitar extravaganza yes at all,but the Steve instructional methods are his albums,play them and trascribe them don't help you with trascriptions.You can put the song at middle velocity and find the notes the fingers position ,it is so hard but you 'll go ahead through the main road
the_grod

Vai doesnt teach because he is a bit arrogant, he doesn't want to share his awesome skills with the world community, thats wats happening with vai, even though his playing is supernatural...
another virtuoso

the_grod wrote:Vai doesnt teach because he is a bit arrogant, he doesn't want to share his awesome skills with the world community, thats wats happening with vai, even though his playing is supernatural...
:lol:

he's actually had instructional projects in the works on a number of occasions but they always end up on the shelf when more important things come up. he was going to do a comprehensive instructional CD-ROM probably around 10 years ago that never made it to the finish line. but never expect a dvd, he doesnt seem to be very keen on that idea.
TRIDS

on the guitar world website it shows him on the front cover with stach and it says they go through some of the 10 or 30 hour workout. It is gonna be on the CD showing his gear and giving some tips.
Stephen Brown

Say Steve did do an instructional dvd.
Wouldn't that kill some of the magic? + You can't really teacher performance out of a book/showmanship. A subject that also never covered is Steve's knowledge of sequencing,layering,mixing & mastering polishes. That's got to be years of hard graft behind him.

All of Sound Theories is astonishing!!

In order to cover such a wide pallett from Steve you'd need a series, to go indepth. Don't think that will ever happen.

I've been studying Steve & Joe for 9 years & I still have loads to learn.

That's prob the best thing about it. It never stops. :D

I find the best methods are to cross ref offical tab's & dvd performance. Of course going to a live show & seeing it also really helps.
The matser class I attended was also amazing. O.k some of the question were a bit pap..."How do you play fast Steve?"

(me)...."errr that old chest nut".lol

Everything else though was amazing!! Tips on rhythm,objective thinking. History stories,practise tips,his playing. I mean the list goes on & on.

To say the least one can learn loads from experience like that. If you get a chance to go please do. Really does help you to re-focus your goals & achievements.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

the_grod wrote:Vai doesnt teach because he is a bit arrogant, he doesn't want to share his awesome skills with the world community, thats wats happening with vai, even though his playing is supernatural...

Wow.

J
theollieb

Orrrr maybe hes just busy and we're lazy!