blue powder live at the astoria

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
catscratchfever

does anyone have at tab for this. i bought the dvd a while back, and he did a great job on this song, everything after the clean section and bass solo is freakin awesome and im dyin to play it. i think its my all time favorite vai tune. thanks in advance for any help.
Branden
quiksilver98

Why dont you try to learn it by ear? It's pretty hard to find LIVE versions of songs in tabs.
Zeds.Ded

its a pretty easy song to take on by ear, just do it slowly bit by bit
quiksilver98

Exactly, might take a while, but you will get it.
catscratchfever

thanks guys, ill try. just had to ask you know, oh well.......i better buy some asprin and hit them notes....thats ch-ear-acter buildin ...lol
Zeds.Ded

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

:wink:
quiksilver98

It will frustrate you. Also, don't get TO concentrated because then you will play the wrong notes and think they are right. Happens with me....
catscratchfever

thanks, ill try not to get to caught up in it, i figured i should just set a goal for myself of figuring out a few notes a day until i get. then i wont make myself hate the song by the time im finished :P :roll:
is there any other advice u guys have that might help...........so far i've only done this by ear thing a few times.....my best was i figured out the first 2 minutes or so of hand on heart , but i guess that doesnt really say much so, anyway thanks for all the help and anymore you might be able to add. peace
quiksilver98

For ex. I am trying to learn Juice right now, the tab is NOT doing me any good because there are parts where the tab makes you move your fingers so quickly where as you can just make a chord out of it and pick each note. for songs like Juice, it's best to do it by ear, the tab will just frustrate you. So i'm just going to listen to it tons of times and watch Vai a couple and then do it by ear.
Stephen Brown

catscratchfever wrote:does anyone have at tab for this. i bought the dvd a while back, and he did a great job on this song, everything after the clean section and bass solo is freakin awesome and im dyin to play it. i think its my all time favorite vai tune. thanks in advance for any help.
Branden
Most of the main lines & fingerings are in P & W Tab book.
<Mike>

quiksilver98 wrote:It will frustrate you. Also, don't get TO concentrated because then you will play the wrong notes and think they are right. Happens with me....
:? :? :? ???

that's just weird. When I tab I concentrate until my brain feels like it's gonna blow. (this is when I tab something difficult). And when I do this I can focus on one instrument til I hear it very clear like for example a keyboard with a low volume or whatever. I have to concentrate this much to be able to filtrate the sounds.

Also this way you can hear patterns in the music that's being played and that'll help your tabbing a lot too.
quiksilver98

Everybody is different or maybe it's my method of concentration.
Zeds.Ded

if you have the dvd, watching him while listening works soooo well, you wouldnt think it, but it does!!
leigh01

It helps if you know your modes for this piece,
if you don't already know the modes of the major scale, learn them in G ionion (major scale) A dorian and so on, and it will help loads.

the begining of the piece is in A dorian, and then just keep hearing for the changes, this will lay out all the notes nicely for you if you know the modes in the key of G ionion, as steve seems to stay in these patterns all the way through the piece.

mm I'm crap at trying to help on here, if I confused you say what with and someone with better wordings might help.