Is there an age limit?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
feedbacklover
Newcomer

Hi guys!

I've started guitar when i was 17, and mostly played powerchords up to when i was about 18. Then i started getting into blues, right up to now which i'm now 20, i've started to really loved shred guitar! The problem is that i want to be a really good shredder but think it might be out of my league since i have left it up to this late to start trying to be able to shred. Am i just paranoid? Or is it a truth that will really hurt me feelings..

Please reply!
MatJB

It's just paranoia, I assure you! You're 20 years old, with decades ahead to perfect the shred. If there is an age limit, it's probably around sixty years old, so don't worry about it. Good luck :wink:
leigh01

Yep true, plus by the time your sixty you'd probably be bored of shred and be listening to Hank Marvin.
Big Bad Bill

I didn't begin to play guitar until the age of 21 but I can shred now-19 years later! :shock: I think the problem was that I didn't seek out/find a good guitar tutor until a couple of years ago. Since then I've come along leaps and bounds. If I had found one sooner I suspect I would've reached 'shredvarna' a lot quicker.

True enough, kids pick up stuff much quicker, but they tend not to have the patience and discipline that we adults have and so generally fritter away that unique period of their lives.

Get yourself a good tutor, which may take some time, and practice hard and you'll get there!
Stephen Brown

Kerry King from Slayer started when he was 19 or there abouts.
jykemartin
Newcomer

me I started at 9 and now im 10 have many gigs
VaiEvo

You can do whatever you feel, just study it.

I myself am a blues/rock guy, so the blues scales suit me fine. I do venture into Vai once in a blue moon, but I'm good.
slash89

There are no age limit :) Just pick up the axe and hit the books :P
applesteam

Fear not, Zappa didn't start playing till was 18, and he two only played blues for the first couple of years. I know he wouldnt have been considered a 'shredder', but he was still a great guitarist.
slash89

applesteam wrote:Fear not, Zappa didn't start playing till was 18, and he two only played blues for the first couple of years. I know he wouldnt have been considered a 'shredder', but he was still a great guitarist.
Yeah, no doubt about that :)
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

To some extent I know how you feel. I started playing when I was 14, I took a months worth of lessons and then my tutor passed away. I haven't taken any lessons since. It was a bummer, I'm 19 now and I feel I haven't made any progress. Sure I can play FTLOG note for note and pick up lots of other Vai songs and whatever but all these years I've been doing stuff by ear. People are like "wow that's so cool", it's not, it sucks. Seriously I feel like I'm the crappiest guitar player on Earth. I really just wanna immerse myself in the magic of the little black dots and for once in my life actually know what my fingers are doing when they fly across the fretboard. I think we'll be fine man, we just have to work hard.
feedbacklover
Newcomer

Thanks for the motivation guys. It's just that all the shredders seemed to play at a younger age than me. I heard michael romeo or what ever his name is started at 18, but that's a rumor from 2 people i know i think.
jemgirl

you are never to old to play guitar or whatever!
take my advice!!just do what you wanna do!!!

goodluck :wink:
slimshady842

I started 5 years ago all ready. I'm 19, and looking back, I thought I'd never be able to play. It just all depends on how much work you put into it. If you're like Vai, who had an intense routine throughout his earlier years, you definitely can achieve your dream of "shredding." Build up your technical skills, but don't forget to make music of it. There's nothing like a line of notes in a song that sounds like an exercise. It just makes you think... whoa.
(S-O)
Newcomer

Francesco Fareri started when he was about 17, and he's a monster shredder. Rusty Cooley started getting serious late in his career, you can too! Shred initself is a difficult genre, but so is every genre, even pop, you think Jessica Simpson was born with those things? Well yeah bad example, but you get the point!