bumblefoot and the thimble

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
TonyMacalpine

is anybody here into thimbling. I just started screwing with it and i thinks its cool. anybody over here ever try it?
Splish

Yer! I'm not the only wierd one on the forum lol :wink:

If you've got the lick out of 'Don Pedro Pimpwagon' thats a killer for the thimble... Insane sweep too

:D

Splish
MarkRobinson

Given it a fair try in my time. :) Figured its Ron's thing though so I don't use it unless I'm trying to sound like Ron.
miker

Thimbling?! What?... I never heard of this.

You're making me feel like such a n00b! :oops:
TonyMacalpine

MarkRobinson wrote:Given it a fair try in my time. :) Figured its Ron's thing though so I don't use it unless I'm trying to sound like Ron.
its no different than tapping, it just gives you more range. If done well, you can't tell the difference between the notes you thimble and the ones you finger. It's basically like a tiny slide. Ron is just ripping of Robert Johnson.
TonyMacalpine

miker wrote:Thimbling?! What?... I never heard of this.

You're making me feel like such a n00b! :oops:
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal uses a thimble on the pinky of his right hand to tap notes beyond the limits of the fretboard. Like if you wanted to play a tapped A minor arpeggio starting on the 17th fret, you would finger the 17th and 20th frets normally and use the thimble to tap where the 24th fret would be (assuming you're playing a 22 fretter). Its not a huge deal, but it's a little bit difficult to get the hang of (intonnation and all)
Mockturtle
Newcomer

Ha. That's a cool little trick. I tryed it on my bass and if you put the thimble on your right hand and tap lightly you get a deaded harmonic of the note. Just make sure the string doesn't viabrate and you aren't holding the string on any hamonics.