What works for YOU as a practice routine?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
V-type

What kind of practice rountine fits you?
-yasi-

i jiust practise all tecnics like sweeping, tapping. ect. for 30 minutes a day( swepping 30 minutes;Tapping 30min....). 1 hour would cost me too much og my conccentration. and i do it so... one technic thing then 30minutes of playing.. like improvising and then again technik. Afert all techniks i take the songs i learn at the moment and practise them for hours.
but that's the way i have the most concentration :)

hope i could help you a bit^^ :lol:
Zeds.Ded

i find that learning songs with the various different techniques in them is a way of practicing, you never get board cause your always learning different songs. but it really helps to also do alternate picking exercises and techique exercises too
eXor

Zeds.Ded wrote:i find that learning songs with the various different techniques in them is a way of practicing, you never get board cause your always learning different songs. but it really helps to also do alternate picking exercises and techique exercises too
I do that to,
practising is soooo boring :D
<Mike>

I learn songs too. and play em til I nail em. A good thing is to say to yourself: "If I don't nail this song perfect before I stop playing for today I'll be a total loser".
It works for me. Sometimes I can sit hours longer just cause I told myself that. :)
another virtuoso

<Mike> wrote:A good thing is to say to yourself: "If I don't nail this song perfect before I stop playing for today I'll be a total loser".
unless you are fully aware that you are already a total loser :lol:
<Mike>

of course there are always exeptions :wink:
Ugur Dariveren

I don't do practise anymore.
V-type

lol. Jemsite would disagree.
Stephen Brown

Depends on what area of practise your asking about.

After all there are many forms & areas.
joshua202020

Sometimes I find it really hard to practice.. I just loose appetite and want to do something else..
Pobshot

I do a lot of what Yasi does... technique, improv. then song.

But what I"m having trouble is disciplining myself to learn theory. It's so hard when you have no direction. Currently I'm a little confused about modes. I know scale patterns in terms of note degrees. So when for instance the dorian mode is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 does that mean on the degree III I would flatten it and same with degree VII?

What are ways that you guys organized your theory learning and tackled it?
catscratchfever

i have about 2 years of playing under my belt now, (just turned 16), and after i get home from school i play for pretty much the next 3 to 6 hours i have available for the night.
i usually start with some baseline riff from a song im learning or something, but i don't practice it much, just warm up with it.
after that i begin some finger excersizes for speed and clarity. i prefer playing k'm-pee-du-wee's faster parts and lydian for about ten minutes.
the next few hours are divided in different patterns based on my mood or feel for the day. i may learn songs and hardcore focus on them or i might just improv for the rest of the night. i find that i can feel my creativity and can sense when it will arrive. if its not that day then i move to some technique building, and or song-learning.
about once every week or so i like to throw a curve-ball at myself and either turn on some wacky effects or pick a different music style and make up a song in it. this keeps me from getting that"trapped in a box" feeling and lets me make up my own new techniques in the ongoing forging of my style. wow,,,,,,, that was long :roll: Rock on guys!
Branden
another virtuoso

Pobshot wrote:So when for instance the dorian mode is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 does that mean on the degree III I would flatten it and same with degree VII?
yes.
b = flat
# = sharp
sunai

[/b]my workout is sumthin i derived form many many places so here goes
(the time i practice for changes evryday but is bare min of 3 hrs)

first i do simple warmups on the guitar (from john petrucci rock discipline)
it rocks for gettin the blood flowin!!!

then i focus on my alternate pickin in which i do exercises from may places liek intense rock 1 n 2 , rock discipline, couple of pentatonic scales n stuff!!!
thing is i set a target tempo for a day n work on it till i get there(it wont be more thn 5 bpm a day)
thing is i play like this suppose i start from 130 n wanna reach 135 so i'll go up 2bpm n after tht loop is done i'll come down 1 bpm n so on!!!

next legato
i practice these 2 a watch !!again most of the stuff from all the above mentioned stuff plus i also work on the stuff given in steve's 30 hr guitar workout plus the solo riff of the animal!!!!!

next sweeps
again i try to come up with a few shapes n practice them for a good 20mins or more!!!!

and finally i practice songs at the end like when me at a good peak of the day :shock:
practicing technique makes learning songs much easier
(P.S i work on music theory when im not playin guitar.jus do it newhere n everywhere)

call me nuts if u want
hope ive helped!!!!
@cheers@