What makes a guitarist a guitar Virtuoso?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
User avatar
leigh01
Member
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:18 am

(I hope this is a good place to put it, also sorry if this topic has been covered before)

The first time I heard the term virtuoso, I wondered how I can become one, so can some people shed some light on what makes a guitarist a virtuoso?

Cheers :)
slash89
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am

This should do the trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuoso
User avatar
leigh01
Member
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:18 am

slash89 wrote:This should do the trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuoso
Thanks Slash,

That sucks though, just to dazzle Audiances, soo does it mean when I impress all my college friends that I'm a virtuoso, and would it also mean that MAB is also a Virtuoso. :shock:
slash89
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am

leigh01 wrote:
slash89 wrote:This should do the trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuoso
Thanks Slash,

That sucks though, just to dazzle Audiances, soo does it mean when I impress all my college friends that I'm a virtuoso, and would it also mean that MAB is also a Virtuoso. :shock:
Yes.
User avatar
leigh01
Member
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:18 am

slash89 wrote:
leigh01 wrote:
slash89 wrote:This should do the trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuoso
Thanks Slash,

That sucks though, just to dazzle Audiances, soo does it mean when I impress all my college friends that I'm a virtuoso, and would it also mean that MAB is also a Virtuoso. :shock:
Yes.
Damn, that sucks.
slash89
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 am

leigh01 wrote:
slash89 wrote:
leigh01 wrote: Thanks Slash,

That sucks though, just to dazzle Audiances, soo does it mean when I impress all my college friends that I'm a virtuoso, and would it also mean that MAB is also a Virtuoso. :shock:
Yes.
Damn, that sucks.
I know :lol:
User avatar
lydian2000
Member
Member
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 am

the answer is: regular hard work.
User avatar
another virtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:23 pm

you took that a bit out of context i think. just because you can play well and impress a few friends doesnt make you a virtuoso. the emphasis was on the:
"who is capable of displaying feats of skill well above the average performer. "
not so much on the dazzling audiences part.

a little kid fresh to guitar playing could play Wish You Were Here and impress all his friends, but that doesnt make him a virtuoso.
...maybe after he spiced it up with a few 64th note triplets at 216bpms lol.
seljer
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:11 am

another virtuoso wrote:you took that a bit out of context i think. just because you can play well and impress a few friends doesnt make you a virtuoso. the emphasis was on the:
"who is capable of displaying feats of skill well above the average performer. "
not so much on the dazzling audiences part.

a little kid fresh to guitar playing could play Wish You Were Here and impress all his friends, but that doesnt make him a virtuoso.
...maybe after he spiced it up with a few 64th note triplets at 216bpms lol.
though just because he can do 64th notes at 216bpm doesn't mean I'd enjoy listening to him
guitarbonham
Member
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:05 pm

enjoying the listening isn't such a huge emphasis. most people hate shred music but most shredders are virtousos
TongueNGroove
Member
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:38 pm

I believe to be considered a virtuoso you need to have complete mastery of the instrument as a whole, not just be great at one thing on it. If you can do most or all of the techniques on a guitar well above average and have an ability to improvise (proving your mastery of the instrument) at will in a way that stuns the listener on a consistant basis then you could be considered a virtuoso.

For instance, Steve Vai is a virtuoso, the guy playing at the local guitar shop is most likely not.

But there is no strict definition, you can't say that once I can do this I will be a virtuoso, but when you are a virtuoso people will let you know :)
davidparis
Member
Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:11 pm

TongueNGroove wrote:I believe to be considered a virtuoso you need to have complete mastery of the instrument as a whole, not just be great at one thing on it. If you can do most or all of the techniques on a guitar well above average and have an ability to improvise (proving your mastery of the instrument) at will in a way that stuns the listener on a consistant basis then you could be considered a virtuoso.

For instance, Steve Vai is a virtuoso, the guy playing at the local guitar shop is most likely not.

But there is no strict definition, you can't say that once I can do this I will be a virtuoso, but when you are a virtuoso people will let you know :)
I agree...true words there
I ZoSo I
Member
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:40 pm

There's some wannabe 'music-elitist' assholes whom I've met online who don't consider Vai to be a virtuoso. They usually put John McLaughlin, Alan Holdsworth and Shawn Lane at the top of their virtuoso list, great guitarist, but I just don't see the attraction, I've forced myself to sit through some of their albums - and when they're done, I can't remember what one single song sounded like...

but yes, I consider Vai AND Holdsworth (I'm just not really into his music, his playing is phenomenal though) a virtuoso.
Ultraviolet
Member
Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:44 pm

:shock: I think you're all wrong. lol Virtuoso?
Allow this rusty,..jaw-wired-shut,..and broken-legged nobody, who had my mother drive me two towns away tonight, so
I could gimp into the Music store, on morphine and cruthches,. just to put my last 40 bucks down on a shiny new (poor man's jem lol ha ha) rg350, to give an opinionated ellaboration on the meaning of this HIGHLY overused word. ;) here goes, and I'm gonna swing for out of the park with this one, on the first try, no balls, no strikes. (this is just my opinion, and if I recall correctly, that was the goal of this topic?)
It's not one's skill, or tallent, or speed, or endurance,...or complexity.
What it is, is a beautiful thing to behold, once you learn enough beyond the mechanical mathematics of music theory itself, and see that to be a virtuoso, isn't how good someone is, or how many people one impresses with their,(to quote a previos post) "MUCH HIGHER THAN AVERAGE" ability by any means. Virtuoso can be paraphrased with just one context. INSPIRATION, purely, with Love, and without articulation as to why. It's all fine an dandy in candyland when masses of people say,..."Boy, that (she/he) plays "better" than anybody. (She/he) is the "best" guitarrist ever. I've never heard anything as "complicated", or as "fast", or as "technical" as that before. Isn't (she/he) the best? That person must be a "virtuoso"
I'm sorry but that person is a robot. A virtuoso in reality, has the blessed and fortunate ability to hear the masses say, "I love him!! Isn't he fabulous? or "I love her, she makes me feel good" Ones direct conclusion from this (if you agree with my opinion that is) would be safe to say that one's ability to spread positive energy, and I mean positive energy that doesn't cease to create a feeling when the concert is over,...but 10 years later,..they are still singing the melody they witnessed at that concert 10 years ago, in the shower,(just an example, could be anyplace really) not because the tune is stuck in their head,...but because it makes them feel good to sing it. That my friends is what (to me) being a virtuoso really means. :) TA DAH!!! do I win the reces pieces now? lol
User avatar
leigh01
Member
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:18 am

Ultraviolet wrote::shock: I think you're all wrong. lol Virtuoso?
Allow this rusty,..jaw-wired-shut,..and broken-legged nobody, who had my mother drive me two towns away tonight, so
I could gimp into the Music store, on morphine and cruthches,. just to put my last 40 bucks down on a shiny new (poor man's jem lol ha ha) rg350, to give an opinionated ellaboration on the meaning of this HIGHLY overused word. ;) here goes, and I'm gonna swing for out of the park with this one, on the first try, no balls, no strikes. (this is just my opinion, and if I recall correctly, that was the goal of this topic?)
It's not one's skill, or tallent, or speed, or endurance,...or complexity.
What it is, is a beautiful thing to behold, once you learn enough beyond the mechanical mathematics of music theory itself, and see that to be a virtuoso, isn't how good someone is, or how many people one impresses with their,(to quote a previos post) "MUCH HIGHER THAN AVERAGE" ability by any means. Virtuoso can be paraphrased with just one context. INSPIRATION, purely, with Love, and without articulation as to why. It's all fine an dandy in candyland when masses of people say,..."Boy, that (she/he) plays "better" than anybody. (She/he) is the "best" guitarrist ever. I've never heard anything as "complicated", or as "fast", or as "technical" as that before. Isn't (she/he) the best? That person must be a "virtuoso"
I'm sorry but that person is a robot. A virtuoso in reality, has the blessed and fortunate ability to hear the masses say, "I love him!! Isn't he fabulous? or "I love her, she makes me feel good" Ones direct conclusion from this (if you agree with my opinion that is) would be safe to say that one's ability to spread positive energy, and I mean positive energy that doesn't cease to create a feeling when the concert is over,...but 10 years later,..they are still singing the melody they witnessed at that concert 10 years ago, in the shower,(just an example, could be anyplace really) not because the tune is stuck in their head,...but because it makes them feel good to sing it. That my friends is what (to me) being a virtuoso really means. :) TA DAH!!! do I win the reces pieces now? lol

:shock: No.

So Now a Virtuoso, is just a great player based on opinions??????

from what you wrote You are in a way saying that a Virtuoso is a performer/songwriter, so in which would mean that Eric Clapton is a virtuoso just because his guitar bit for "Layla" sticks in your head????

If it's know about opinions and not what a virtuoso is then, I always thought that a virtuoso was someone that can do anything on guitar,
Suck as come up with melodys that are Catchy as you have just said UltraViolet, and also very fast on guitar but also gentle touch when needed, can pick every note flawlessly, can site read staff notation, knows music theory inside out as I also read somewhere else in this thread, also can stay in perfect time to all types of music, can play many styles, Have also their own obvius distinctive sound,also has perfect pitch, and the skill to create excellent pieces of music.

or in short have huge technical skills,
know music theory insideout,
and very creative,and also impressive and unseen before.

What do you think?
:D
Post Reply