Remembering note placement

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Eutow

Well, I am currently taking an introduction to music theory class at the moment. And although I can read a keyboard and play them on the piano(if needed), I have trying to figure out a way to recognize them easier on my guitar. I know I can do this with simple practice and repetition, but are they are any formulas or ways that you guys have come up with?!

(I play in standard, btw)

Thanks a lot guys!!!

:D
Big Bad Bill

If you mean landing on 'target notes' of the prevailing harmony for solid tonality and resolution then learning movable arpeggio shapes is a good idea. So when you whizzing around you can throw in the arpeggio and land on the root, fifth or third to make it sound harmonious.
applesteam

try printing out a diagram of the guitar fretboard with all the notes labelled on it up to the 12th fret (from the 12th fret onwards the whole pattern of notes is repeated.) Then incorporate the studying of this diagram into your daily practice regieme. try spending about 15/20 mins a day out of your practice time to studying the fretboard.

Use your guitar to play the notes and get used to how they sound individually and also in relation to one another.

when you go out,bring the diagram with you and look over it when you're on the bus,train, eating lunch, taking a dump,whatever...

You will start to notice patterns within a string and across the strings.

Take a simple melody comprised of 6 notes, and write out the names of the notes that make up the melody. learn how to play it using only one string, lets say the high E string.Then learn how to play it on every string.Then learn two different ways of playing it on each string.
Then start learning how to play that same melody, but across the strings.
figure out a way to play it using the E and B strings. Play the first 3 notes of the melody on the E string, then the other half of the melody on the B string. Then switch, playing the first half of on the B, and the rest on the E.Do this for all the strings. So the next step will be to play the melody
on the B and G string, then The G and D string, the D and A string, then the A and low E string. And remember to keep switching.

Then play it using the High E and G string, then the B and D string, Then the G and A, then D and E. Then do the reverse, starting the melody on the G string and finishing on the High E, etc.

Then learn the meloday across 3 strings:EBG,BGD,etc. then acrosss 4 strings, etc.

Get 12 little pieces of paper and write a different note on each one. Put them in a hat and pick out 3 at random and arrange them in any order to make a 3 note melody, then play that melody, in all the different places and positions that you can, using the patterns from the previous exercises. Then Pick out another 3 random notes and do the same, then pick out four notes, etc...
MarkRobinson

The quickest way to do it:

1) Write all the notes down in a random order
2) Take each in turn and play it on every string as quickly as possible, you'll hear if you're going wrong (assuming you get the first one right!)
3) When you get good at this do it to a metrenome

Five minutes a day, twice a day if you like. I've never taught anyone who hasn't had the whole fretboard down in a month provided they do the practice... most are quicker than that.
spanishphrygian

I had a teacher say learn the notes on the frets. Like choose a fret like the first and start on the 6th string, then the 5th ect.

I found that this helped because going up the string is just e f g a b c you know.

across the fret takes more memorizing like the open notes E, A, D, G, B, and E, then try some thing else like the 1st fret F, Bb, Eb, Ab, C, and F.

If you need something even more random try www.musictheory.net there is a nice guitar trainer there:

http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id81_en.html with other things

that are helpful.

Finally, you will need to learn the E' or E'' E prime, or double prime on your guitar as well because then you can see where all of the octaves are laid out.

At this point you can just look at some tenor parts writen on the bass clef and play them at sight. Or off course the treble cleff an octave below or whatever. I forgot!