Finger Deterioration

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
acoates

I'm a sick fuck and I bite the skin off around my fingernails as a habit. It's disgusting I know but it feels sooooo good. Doesn't help my caluses one bit.
joshua202020

Watch G3 Tokyo DVD bonus feature Joe's commentary.. He talks about those calluses.. I think they are very helpful for guitarists though..
sunai

resha wrote:
the_grod wrote:do you find that playing excessively creates pain and limits your playing? Isn't it annoying?
Think to your fingers like a socccer player can think about His feet (or legs); like in any kind of physical activity your muscles (hence skin, tendons...) must get used to a particular "level of stress".

Imagine it like a kind of standard.

If you are a newbie you'll probably find that it hurts to play for even 30 minutes; if you've played for years constantly you'll get into long sessions (5/6 hours in a row) without hesitate and with virtually any pain.

The more you practice the more you raise that standard (think about Steve's legato exercises like 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-4, 1-3, 2-4 for a minute and then more and more...).

Always remember that our hands are not robotical and so always pay attention to do some stretching exercises before go into a practice session. On this subject you may want to check John Petrucci's Rock Discipline Dvd, it's very helpful :P
ya petrucci's rock discipline is the best for stuff like stretches n stuff!!!!
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

acoates wrote:I'm a sick fuck and I bite the skin off around my fingernails as a habit. It's disgusting I know but it feels sooooo good. Doesn't help my caluses one bit.
lol the honest truth...

But what about the tips of the fingers on the picking hand for tapping techniques? Those are the ones I have a problem with. My left hand fingertips are dead..i don't feel a thing when I fret anymore. but I can't get the tapping fingers to callus up right.
VaiEvo

When I started out, I would practice for four to five hours a day, and it was painful until my fingers eventually developed a callous. The callous is only visible if i'm playing, and you can feel it, but other than that you can't tell it's there.

But yes, it is painful when you start to play. To make it easier, I read somewhere soak your hand in aloe vera before and after playing, I think someone did that (Zack Wylde maybe?).