Finger Deterioration

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
the_grod

Hey guys its been a while, I just wanted to raise up the question of finger stresses such as caluses, skin hardening/pain etc. For you more experienced players, do you find that playing excessively creates pain and limits your playing? Isn't it annoying?

anyway feedback is interesting,
thanks.
Zeds.Ded

it eventually gets to a stage were your callus is so strong that it dosent hurt at all anymore, just keep them strong and dont play when your fingers have been wet i.e, after a shower or even washing your hands. give them good time to dry
Janitor

when i started playing a found that the same happend to me but after awile the skin will keep breaking and the caluses on you fingers well become hard enough and it will not hurt anymore.
SPQR

Zeds.Ded wrote:it eventually gets to a stage were your callus is so strong that it dosent hurt at all anymore, just keep them strong and dont play when your fingers have been wet i.e, after a shower or even washing your hands. give them good time to dry
Yes completly agree with zed on that, your fingers become Immune to the idea and eventually think fo guitar playing as almost 2nd nature to them just like holding a pen or playing xbox .. 8)
Zeds.Ded

then you can start playing the 'how long i can keep a lighter on my finger tip for' game! :D
SPQR

Zeds.Ded wrote:then you can start playing the 'how long i can keep a lighter on my finger tip for' game! :D
lol yea forgot bout that one :P
Pobshot

Or you can go to the doctor and when they try to draw blood from your finger give them your left hand hahaha
Zeds.Ded

haha then quote " hmm, i seen some blood in here yesterday " while shaking it! :)
Janitor

lol that would be soo funny i would die laughing if i saw someone do that
Jay3

When your fingers hurt, what I did to develop callus' was massage the tips of your fingers. I did it when I would get grooves left in my fingers from the strings, and now my callus' are rock solid and never hurt. It only takes a minute, and is very effective.
llamahead

i disagree, just keep playing until your caluses get in the way, then give it a break. also play really lightly to they won't develop. but i got another problem, the muscle in between my thumb and first finger really hurts after a long day of scales over a metronome.

will a day off, or easy day, help?
Mr. Supertron

Some people think they should wash there caluses off because they are idiots. As a rule of thumb, if it hurts you're not practicing enough.
Little Dan

if you want rock hard fingers play steel string acoustic for a while if you have access to one.
try and play songs that you are comfortable with on electric on the acoustic. it will strengthen your left hand considerably aswell.
it will hurt at first. but it will pay off. :)
danny
Gyborg

In my experience, I play for about 2 hours a day. But if one day I play for 4-5 hours, I start to feel a little pain in the calluses.
resha

the_grod wrote:do you find that playing excessively creates pain and limits your playing? Isn't it annoying?
Think to your fingers like a socccer player can think about His feet (or legs); like in any kind of physical activity your muscles (hence skin, tendons...) must get used to a particular "level of stress".

Imagine it like a kind of standard.

If you are a newbie you'll probably find that it hurts to play for even 30 minutes; if you've played for years constantly you'll get into long sessions (5/6 hours in a row) without hesitate and with virtually any pain.

The more you practice the more you raise that standard (think about Steve's legato exercises like 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-4, 1-3, 2-4 for a minute and then more and more...).

Always remember that our hands are not robotical and so always pay attention to do some stretching exercises before go into a practice session. On this subject you may want to check John Petrucci's Rock Discipline Dvd, it's very helpful :P