juice,what's the big deal?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
playnoevil777

I've heard a lot about how it's really hard.Now I haven't tried to play it,but I listened to it a couple times,and I didn't hear anything real difficult sounding.Can someone tell me why people say it's so hard please.I mean like what technique is so hard in it?thanks 8)
badhorsie551

Timing is a big one.

it has that hot for teacher like groove and you have to be able to move in and out of playing the rhythm and the melody at the same time cleanly and smoothly. nailing the pinch harmonics is a big one too and all the little nuances in the song (slides,bends,harmonics,pinch harmonics,taps) make it difficult.

lol dont forget that crazy ass tapping section, jesus ive been working on that off and on for a while and i can finally do it right.

my opinion it doesnt sound all that hard because mr.vai is playing it. :wink:
Zebula77

Exactly. He makes it all sound effortless, but that song is so intense and busy, it's insane.

Personally, I feel that song is sort of the perfect continuation of what Eddie was doing in the 80s. The whole playing rythm and lead lines almost on top of eachother and still land on you feet, so to speak. Eddie was the master of that.
Fabe

That son not hard?? Come on.... I learnt that thing for weeks and still can't do it properly, mostly because of that insane tapping/legato run. That really makes you take your guitar and throw it out of the window out of frustration... ;). I recorded it anyway, with the screwed up legato run. So if anyone wants to hear it, mail me...

Fabe
littlegreenguy

I think this song is quite deceptive...on listening to it it seems pretty straight forward - FAST, but straightforward!

UNTIL you try to play it!! for a start the riff I think is actually harder than it sounds...it all down to tghe speed as well...it's SO goddam fast!
Bakerman

The tab book is wrong on that part- here's what Vai does. Book missed the whole idea of tapping notes on the B-string and some other notes and stuff.

Jordan
badhorsie551

omg

dude that's great.....

i learned it the way in the tab book and it took forever to get right and this way is like 12867192 times easier.

THANKS!
Willin

Bakerman, do you pick the first note on each string for that run in Juice? That thing is freakin' ridiculous! All over the place! :P
Bakerman

I just figured out the part yesterday morning, and haven't tried it on guitar, but you should pick any note on a new string that isn't tapped, if possible. Except for beat 2 of bar 4 which looks like it should have a tap before it based on the pattern, but the only note I could hear was the open E, and 21 on the B wouldn't be in key- tap 20 or 22 if you want. You can see Vai use the 'pick, tap, tap' sequence for bars 2-4 once he gets to the E string (at the end of bar 1) Then the rest it all tapping after 2 quick picks on the B and E.
Oliver_Reed

Would you like to show the fingering for your tab?

It doesn't quite make sense to me as it is i.e. it doesn't easily lend itself to a comfortable fingering.

Ollie.
Bakerman

Note by note, 1 bar per line, spaces between beats... (t=tap, vai only uses middle finger to tap this part according to the ALS vid):

2414 t434 14t41 /1214
t41t 2414 t41/1t 131
4t41t 131 4t41t 121
3t310 1214 t4t4t 4\
1214 t4t41 ....

From there it should be pretty easy to get the rest, mostly 2-finger stuff. The transition from bar 5 to 6 is kind of weird but unless it was a punch-in, he just probably lifted his finger off the string quick and tapped it down at 17 (I couldn't catch any lower notes between the tapped ones). You could try tapping w/ 2 fingers there but it's one of those things I wouldn't worry about too much, considering how quick it flies by.

Jordan
shader

99% of Vai songs don't seem that hard to me, mainly because i can play fast enough for most of them (except for some of the silly-fast shreddy bits), htne i try and play them and i realize it's way harder than it sounds :)
Luthartin
Newcomer

shader same here dude, but vai stuff is not 3 note per string durulu durulu

i even though that i could learn ftlog in a night! i'm so fool to understand those godly stuff!
Alexander Kinnaird

There's a nice subtle moment in "Juice" at 1:29 where he makes the guitar squeak like a creaky hinge that needs to be oiled by pushing the b string onto the polepiece of the neck pickup. He said that it took him ages to get that to sound quite right so that must be hard. He also does the same thing at 3:02 of "Jibboom." Had my electric stolen so can't try it for myself as I've just got an acoustic with me :cry: Don't think my neighbours would appreciate the volume necessary for that trick anyway :)
Pro-string strummer

problem one... tabs... tabs are the indirect way to learn a song, learn to transcribe and sight read music.... that helps alot, tabs don't show all the timing and dynamics that transribtions can...