What Guitar Strings to Use?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
mahavira

actually I'm using the Ernie Ball Super Slinky's.
is this a good choice? i mean, i'm feelin' quite comfortable with them, but what about the sound.
what strings do you play? and what do you think about the sound of ernie ball Super Slinkys?
GregN

i used to play them, not bad at all they just arent my personal preference.

now i use DR extras or Elixir's.
You know, the coated strings

I use them because while they are about $10 a pack, they last like 4 times as long. A normal string pack is like $4.50 here.
Money wise, this saves a little bit of cash.

some people really dont like the coated ones for one reason or another but i find that they are worth it.
Big Bad Bill

I'm an Elixir devotee too! They are brilliant strings, last for ages and because of the coating you get a lot less 'handling noise' as you move your hand around the fretboard.
MarkRobinson

Slinkys are fine. Always done the job for me just nicely. You may wish to try out other brands to see if something suits you better but I always went with the motto of "if something aint broke..."
norbulator
Newcomer

GHS Boomers 11-50.
slash89

I've been using Elixir strings for quite some time now and I'm very pleased with them :) Suites my Jem fine. I use other strings for my Gibson Leas Paul..
lydian2000

if ernie ball is good enuff for steve, its good enuff for me. other than that the "blue steel" are good once new but then they age very fast unlike erine balls'super slinky IMO.
resha

mahavira wrote:actually I'm using the Ernie Ball Super Slinky's.
is this a good choice? i mean, i'm feelin' quite comfortable with them, but what about the sound.
what strings do you play? and what do you think about the sound of ernie ball Super Slinkys?
As long as you feel comfortable with them, both on sound and on feeling aspects, then just keep on using them!

I only use D'Addario 10-46s on electric guitars and feel ok with them, don't need to think about a possible brand change :P
BlindVision48

So far I've liked Ernie Balls And D'adarrio's the most. It's all personal preference though
shredlord

Since most guitar string brands like D'addario, Ernie Ball, GHS etc. are pretty equal in quality, it's not so important which strings you use. Just take those which you feel the best with, the sound comes from your fingers ^^

I use D'addario XLs, .011-.049 gauge in standard tuning, since they are long lasting, I never broke one of 'em, and they have a nice, full sound and silky feel.
I always buy 3D-Budget-Packs, 3 sets of strings for 12.30 €, which are 15.92 $, that's a quite normal and cheap price here...
applesteam

Super Slinky's have always worked for me. You could switch to regular slinky for a while and see how you like them. Also the slinky dog from toy story does the job quite nicely..Yes, quite nicely indeed....Mmm
Tammiyontouho
Newcomer

Choosing Strings...

I use couple on different tunnings... For lower tunning I like 0.10-0.52 alot.. But hey, what ever feels good is my choise, there is much to choose from but just try to find ones you like. Nobody else can tell you what strings you like...
barhouston

I've tried a few different electric string brands, not a huge selection, but I think I'm loyal to D'Addarios (10-56 on my 7-string) for feel and tone. But for acoustic strings, I definitely agree on the Elixir Nanowebs. Worth the extra couple bucks by miles, and they sound just great.
Guitar God
Newcomer

I personally like D'addiaro......but I also use Ernie Ball and like them just fine,but you should stick to whatever is comfortable
joshua202020

Ernie Ball Supe Slinky 009-045