Freak Show Excess Tab Search

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
SPQR

PNicholson_RGT wrote:They're easy once you get the practice under your fingers - like most things with the guitar.

Very rarely do you have to do a full tone bend with your index finger (as conventional music - ex. blues bends, are done on the third finger, supported by your index and/or middle finger).

These bends Vai does in this song are done to create that feel of a hanging note found in eastern playing. The pitch we are reaching with our index finger on the bend is two frets up which is the note he frets with his third finger. To play it smoothly the ring finger plays the desired pitch 2 frets up, followed by the bend that is played with the index finger (for the smoothest approach).

e ----------------------------------------------------------------
B --------------------------------------5-----8~~~-------------
G ----------------------------6---7------------------------------
D ----7----5-(7)-5----7------------------------------------------
A -----------------------------------------------------------------
E -----------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you can understand any of this - I'm tired while writing this!
nice one
Cleggy

lydian, which way are you bending? i pull it down towards the palm of my hand, if your going up to the sky its twice as hard
lydian2000

yep indeed its much easier towards earth...'ll take a while nonetheless!

thanx for the tip :D
m0thr4
Newcomer

beyondthenotes712 wrote:
slash89 wrote:No there are no fully tabbed versions of the song, sorry..
There's is an entire Real Illusions band score on ebay from Japan that is quite accurate.
I bought that... it's not very accurate at all. I watched how Steve plays some of Freak Show Excess on a free CD I got with a guitar magazine and the band score book gets those bits all wrong.

Also the notation style is really hard to follow, especially pitch bends. A very disappointing book indeed.

I am 75% through tabbing Freak Show Excess myself, using the band score book as a guide where I can and using my ear to make corrections/enhancements.

However, the MPA/NMPA is currently shutting down any sites that feature guitar tabluatures and threatening prosecution of anyone who attempts to share tablature of copyrighted songs.

Bizarrely, they're not just after people who have copied a printed and published tablature into Guitar Pro or similar, they're after any transcriptions of a published work, regardless of whether a commercial transcription is available.

I cannot see how that latter category is actually in breech of copyright, but it matters little - who wants the cost of going to court to defend themselves? Exactly... that's what the MPA are relying on.

For that reason, I will not be sharing my own transcription of Freak Show Excess on this site.
Splish

m0thr4 wrote:
beyondthenotes712 wrote:
There's is an entire Real Illusions band score on ebay from Japan that is quite accurate.
I bought that... it's not very accurate at all. I watched how Steve plays some of Freak Show Excess on a free CD I got with a guitar magazine and the band score book gets those bits all wrong.

Also the notation style is really hard to follow, especially pitch bends. A very disappointing book indeed.

I am 75% through tabbing Freak Show Excess myself, using the band score book as a guide where I can and using my ear to make corrections/enhancements.

However, the MPA/NMPA is currently shutting down any sites that feature guitar tabluatures and threatening prosecution of anyone who attempts to share tablature of copyrighted songs.

Bizarrely, they're not just after people who have copied a printed and published tablature into Guitar Pro or similar, they're after any transcriptions of a published work, regardless of whether a commercial transcription is available.

I cannot see how that latter category is actually in breech of copyright, but it matters little - who wants the cost of going to court to defend themselves? Exactly... that's what the MPA are relying on.

For that reason, I will not be sharing my own transcription of Freak Show Excess on this site.
You must have bought a different book to me... I'll admit that the tab system is a little hard to get to grips with at the start, but you get the message. And it's not 100% accurate, but there are many different positions to play things on the guitar neck. I have many Red Hot Chili Pepper tab books by Hal Leonard that are the "wrong" possition to how Frucsiante plays it....

But your right about the site closures :(

Is your tab in GP format?

Splish
Miketmv92
Newcomer

I've taken a lot of time off from this, but I'm going to give it a second effort. I am going to attempt to finish tabbing it, just for you guys. :wink:

Edit: Oh, and I apologize for not finishing it earlier. I got caught up with football and other things and didn't really have any free time, and I never got back to it. Hopefully I'll get it finished this time around, but it might take a little while because I have yet to tab some of the hardest parts.
slash89

Miketmv92 wrote:I've taken a lot of time off from this, but I'm going to give it a second effort. I am going to attempt to finish tabbing it, just for you guys. :wink:

Edit: Oh, and I apologize for not finishing it earlier. I got caught up with football and other things and didn't really have any free time, and I never got back to it. Hopefully I'll get it finished this time around, but it might take a little while because I have yet to tab some of the hardest parts.
I have pretty much nailed the first part. I stopped when the tab stopped. What you have done so far is really good dude :) Thanks a lot!

Peace,
Kristian :)
Stephen Brown

m0thr4 wrote:
beyondthenotes712 wrote:

(This isn't aimed at you man)

The MPA need to sort their life's out. Chances are it's a tax with in a tax.
True for the sake of the artist & their work being protected I'm all for that.
Truth be known though the MPA has lost out on money & it's us that will pay the price one day. Some tab as we all know is bang on while other are not. I've even spotted tab of late that's had a mistake put in on purpose. That's the conclusion I came to anyway. Everthing else was bang on. You get the point though guys 'n girls.

I think MPA will be the driving force behind getting the artist to surpport them. That's not a nice fireing line to be in.

Even the old fashion way of going round a mates house & borrowing a tab book is under the law. Does anyone take notice? I've lost count of how much stuff I've passed on. Then someone starts a database & all of a sudden he's law breaker. Go fig. :roll:

Powertabs & the rest could end up..more than likely like Napster.
ie: That site would pay a subscription to the label/artist/publisher & then charge us for the joining.
Of course this would also come with "The artist does in noway authorize the accuracy of these works to be correct" or something like that.

One of the great things about tabs is that they are underground. That cool factor like the Prodigy & where would they be if it wasn't for the underground scene? If anything it help the artist to become more main stream. The other side of the coin is the famous long established artist. Go to the above.

Who know what & when & who's going to go down over this. These are dark days.

If the worst came to the worst I'd look up:Defamation of Character.

Out all things in the world to pick on. They pick the guys who are applying themselves to their instrument. Down load programs...No....Down load films....No...Down Load Tab..Now & then...Arr....£2000 court fees. You loose. Drug's,drink,fighting..NOW TABERS.

You know what I say. That's just BULL HOOP.

Ve va the revolution. Err it wasn't me.lol

Also just to add. What about tab's that aren't out there?

If FN had a tab department I'd be a very happy man!!! (In house/sub contracted)
DW tabs,RB tabs,AT tabs,Pep D,Tabs,TE Tabs.

Rather give my money to that than some others etc......

Take these guys. Now they are PRO & care. Their professionalism & standard speak for themselves.
http://www.progressivetranscriptions.com/

All in all though I can uderstand the legitimate reason & legal stance of the MPA. Do agree? I stand divided.

Topic. After you have learn't the intro good luck with the rest of the phrasing. word. 8)
m0thr4
Newcomer

Splish wrote: You must have bought a different book to me... I'll admit that the tab system is a little hard to get to grips with at the start, but you get the message. And it's not 100% accurate, but there are many different positions to play things on the guitar neck. I have many Red Hot Chili Pepper tab books by Hal Leonard that are the "wrong" possition to how Frucsiante plays it....

But your right about the site closures :(

Is your tab in GP format?

Splish
Some of the notes are plain wrong in the book, and the parts I've seen Steve play... well, they're wrong too. And there are missing harmonies. Also, I think some of the time signature choices are a bit dubious. But the real value in that book is that the other instruments (the band parts) are really well transcribed. I should also point out that I'm really only talking about Freak Show Excess here... I haven't had time to look at the other transcriptions!

Yes my tab is in GP format. I'm using GP5 for the Apple Mac. I'm up to the bit where the sitar solo starts (in the 7/4 section).

It's really tricky stuff to transcribe btw, particularly the bit I've just done in which there are fast chromatic bits combined with the whammy bar and wah-wah pedal, quarter tones... not that difficult to play, but an absolute nightmare from a transcription point of view.

And I'm not looking forward to the freeform bit (right before the song goes into its closing reprise). Again, I can play it pretty much like he does, but writing it down? That's another thing altogether!

I will soldier on and make sure that, one way or another, you guys get to benefit.
beyondthenotes712

Granted, the tab in the Japanese book isn't perfect, especially in positions (K'm-Pee-Du-Wee has you playing the main melody on the 6th and 4th strings and Building the Church's melody guitar is written for drop C) and I have found a few wrong notes *but* anyone looking for a relatively accurate way to sort out some of the musical madness of this masterpiece (like my alliteration?) wouldn't go wrong with this book. If you are looking for perfection wait for the official one, which unfortunately could be a while coming out.

m0thr4: I'm looking forward to seeing your updated tabs, thanks for all the hard work :D
s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i

lydian2000 wrote:by the way I'd be curious to know how many here are actually capable to play the full tone bend with his index finger ("there is no other way to get that sound") even with my current of strings which are 4months old(i know)=very loose, i'm still not capable of doing that with my index(I feel like its gonna break), I don't have the necessary strength even after more than 12 years of playing..... :?

its' at 4:07

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid= ... how+excess

anyone...?
I can do it hehe, remember Steve plays .09 Strings (I cant do it on 11, 10 however works out for me)
<Mike>

I'm tabbing freak show excess.

I'm rly lame though so it has taken a while. (It's like that I tab something, wait two weeks, tab something again)

Anyway here is what I've got so far:

http://rapidshare.com/files/45136793/fr ... _.rar.html

(if someone knows a better place to upload files, please tell me)

So, about the tab. Yes, bars 20-21 are correct, it's the rhythm guitar that plays the other stuff. the drums are Not correct, I only made them to be sure I made the guitar stuff right.

Other than that, I'm sure this tab is 100 % so far and I plan to finish it today, or at least finish most of it. So you guys will prolly get the full version this week or early next week. (My cousins comes here over the weekend so I can't do anything then)

Enjoy learning the song.
<Mike>

300 more views on the thread and no one thinks anything about my tab? :(
Red Ribbon
Newcomer

<Mike> wrote:300 more views on the thread and no one thinks anything about my tab? :(
Great job!!!

But there's a note in the main melody (close to the end of it) that doesn't sound quite right. It's a C in your tab but my guess is that it's actually a B. (I could be wrong). Oh, and the second solo could use some adjustments.

WTF? Overall I'd say you nailed 97% of it... Again... Great job!!! Hope you have time to tab the whole song!
<Mike>

dude I assure you, it's correct :lol:
Look, I'm really grateful 8) but,
U can check the tab though, it's correct. I know what you mean about the C tone but check the song, it's the tone! heh.
And also I know which bars yuo mean in ther first solo but I assure you there too, it's correct. Check em out :wink: