Vai's transcriptions of Zappa's work

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
PNicholson_RGT

I've had a look on these forums and haven't really discovered a topic on this. I have heard that you (at some point) could buy the complete transcriptions of Zappa's work done by Vai in a book. I'm not sure but I also heard that there were copies flying around of photocopied originals in handwriting in a book? Anyone know anything about this?

Regards,

Pete

P.S And I'm still looking for the Japanese copy of RI:R transcription book on evilBay . . . still can't find it!
Juice777

I think you mean the Frank Zappa Guitar Book. I have it in PDF format, but it's 15MB, so my Hotmail account won't let me email it to you. I'll see if I can email it from my college account, I think that should work.
PNicholson_RGT

That would be great if you could get it to me mate. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Pete
Juice777

Just sent an email with it attached using my dad's business email, so you should have it soon!
PNicholson_RGT

Excellent mate! I'll let you know once I've received it! Owe you one.

Regards,

Pete
slash89

You should look forward to it, because it is great! :D
guitar88

Could anyone please send it to me too at guitar88@gmail.com ?
PNicholson_RGT

Juice777, still haven't received it for some reason???
munchocruncho

Does anyone know why Barko Swill stopped selling scores?
Stephen Brown

So noone prints it anymore then? :shock:
lydian2000

Just so you know this book is 100% sight-read music=no Tablature whatsoever,

Unless you are educated at a very high level musically, and are able to sigt- read very complex/bizarre music(we're talking zappa's music here)it's not even worth having a look, or by pure curiousity which i did. Foreword from steve even says "let's face it, this isn't "Sight Reading 1""

the book ends with "for Those who managed to get this far"...to give you an idea. :!:
joelcornell

If you could send it to jcornell1@gmail.com that would be great. Thanks!
another virtuoso

lol, i wish you had of posted this a day earlier, would have saved me $10 buying it as .pdf on a CD-R
munchocruncho

lydian2000 wrote:Just so you know this book is 100% sight-read music=no Tablature whatsoever,

Unless you are educated at a very high level musically, and are able to sigt- read very complex/bizarre music(we're talking zappa's music here)it's not even worth having a look, or by pure curiousity which i did. Foreword from steve even says "let's face it, this isn't "Sight Reading 1""

the book ends with "for Those who managed to get this far"...to give you an idea. :!:
You don't have to sight read it you can work it out in advance. But it is all in standard notation. Its not sight reading number one but some songs are easier than others and if you take you're time you can get through it.
The polyrhythms are impossible though so you'll just have to listen to the songs to get a feel for them.
These are Zappa's solos and theres a lot of stuff about Zappa's solos that make them totally unique and one time things. If you're really gonna try and play a Zappa solo note for note you're really defeating the purpose. I see the book more as a way to get a feel for a specific Zappa solo so you can then go out on your own and experiment with it (it has the vamps).
PNicholson_RGT

I still haven't received it yet!!! I need it!!!

Regards,

Pete