Time management..

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
lydian2000

vaiisgod8 wrote:Check out www.daveweiner.com someone there just asked this question and dave gives a nice long answer and it makes alot of sense.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG what have I been doing all these past 10 months to ignore dave's site...

there's so much in it..so much!

thanx for the link!!!!
spanishphrygian

My Job is to play guitar! My boss does not see it that way yet though. haha.
Big Bad Bill

spanishphrygian wrote:My Job is to play guitar! My boss does not see it that way yet though. haha.
That's not a job-that's a dream! I envy you!

vaiisgod8, could you post a specific link to the Q?
spanishphrygian

I find you very interesting Big Bad Bill. I really enjoy your feedback and comments on this forum.

There are a lot of cool people in the world of Vai! Life is Good! :D

I wish more people had more time to practice. Then we might have more good music? That would be nice. I would have more favorite guitarist too.
spanishphrygian

Oh yeah, simple: Wake up fresh and early in the morning and practice! I find that my brain works best fresh and early in the morning. Actually, this is the time that my brain is way ahead of my fingers. Later in the day my fingers are ahead of my brain. :lol:
Jay3

Fucking A man :P , I'm the same way. I also practice three hours a day, and feel it's not enough :oops: . I work hard on my technique, and my creativity, and often see it improve. But I still feel it's not enough. Every morning I wake up, get a shower, and practice guitar until it's time to go to school. I practice between songs, in Jazz band and between classes in school. I practice as long as I can (basically) when I get home, but still feel it's not enough!!! I'm hoping some day to realise it is enough, and reach the level of guitar skill and ability where anything possible. (Ramble Ramble Ramble :wink: )
wholetone

You'll know you haven't practiced enough when your doing the same patterns and scales, and stuck in the same time signature after 3-6 months. Fact is, if you see yourself improving and moving forward then your dedication is spot on! Otherwise, you're fooling yourself and burning your life away by NOT practicing correctly.
Benjammin105

thats a good way to think about it. i can see myself moving up slowly. i like to look back over like a year or so and think about all the stuff i know compared to back then. its easier to compare the knowledge you have gained than how much your chops have improved.
MarkRobinson

Nine hours per day? Maybe....maybe not. That much practice might actually be detrimental... but not always. You get out what you put in is the GCSE (or high school) way of looking at it. There's actually a lot more going on.

Take the following analogy: Two people living in Ireland want to get to Russia pre flights or common knowledge of the globe etc. The first guy declares his dedication to the cause and says he will spend every waking hour to the cause and sets off right away. He doesn't know everything about the route but he knows the direction and he's got a compass so everything will be fine...

The second guy, sits back and considers his options. He then spends a month talking to all the people in the know about navigation and what exactly is between Ireland and Russia and then takes the time to make sure he has the right boat, the right stuff for getting across land and adequate supplies. He then took a month off to make sure he was absolutely prepared mentally for the journey.

Prizes for guessing who got there first and with there well being still in tact...

Obviously this is guitar playing, not travelling but hopefully it'll get you thinking in a certain way. I'm going to be posting a full article on time management up at www.alloutguitar.com soon.... you can find the first part of that series at

http://www.alloutguitar.com/education/l ... a_musician

which leads up to the topic we're discussing here. Discussions are welcome. :D