How funny does Petrucci play lol!

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
the_grod

in the aussie tour down here in Australia we were so lucky to see the awesom Vai, satch and petrucci....in the show in melbourne i noticed more than ever that petrucci had a weird style about him...like he had his guitar positioned real high...not conventional...this posture seems quite funny when you look at it....wat u guys reckon?
miker

Yeah... Petrucci's a killer...

Here's a clip of him going over his guitar equipment with his tech. Cool stuff. Take some notes. yah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MefjovJJr-0
Evil Betty

the_grod wrote:in the aussie tour down here in Australia we were so lucky to see the awesom Vai, satch and petrucci....in the show in melbourne i noticed more than ever that petrucci had a weird style about him...like he had his guitar positioned real high...not conventional...this posture seems quite funny when you look at it....wat u guys reckon?
What are you.. 12?

Lots of players with their guitars high. Ever seen Allan Holdsworth play?

E.B.
Shamrocks

yeah, it is a conventional way of playing the guitar...from a classical guitarists perspective.
If you were to play with your guitar higher you would find it much easier to strech and stuff. too many people wanna look like some guitar hero with a low strung guitar and then wonder why they develop tendonitis and carpal tunnnel syndrome.
slash89

Check out Stu Hamm :)
GregN

the_grod wrote:the show in melbourne i noticed more than ever that petrucci had a weird style about him...like he had his guitar positioned real high...not conventional
Actually, this is conventional. You wil find that most of the good Technical guitar players do have thier guitars put up this high to allow easier stretching. It also prevents a lot of injuries to your wrists.

Billy Sheehan has said has that the best height for your guitar is where it is when you are sitting down. So, you guitar should really move when you stand up.
beyondthenotes712

Watching Greg Bissonette (Satch's bass player) cracks me up :lol:
Tayhan

Rusty Cooleys guitar also hangs as high as a necklace but I don't care as long as he plays good. This isn't a fashionshow buddy.
GregN

beyondthenotes712 wrote:Watching Greg Bissonette (Satch's bass player) cracks me up :lol:
Are you sure that is Greg?

I searched google and stuff and i only found that he was a drummer.

but who knows google sucks sometimes.
toms-ruin

tho i do agree that theres nothing anconventional about having your guitar up high 9mine is fairly high too), there are plenty of amazing players that are the low lowwww shooters.. paul gilbert?
GregN

toms-ruin wrote:tho i do agree that theres nothing anconventional about having your guitar up high 9mine is fairly high too), there are plenty of amazing players that are the low lowwww shooters.. paul gilbert?
indeed, i have noticed that nowdays, in some older vidoes of him, in like the 80's he does have his guitar a lot higher.
ebrown

Paul Gilbert has his lower than Petrucci for sure but Gilbert doesn't have it really low. Take a look at some punk bands guitarists, generally their guitars are hanging as low as they can get them.
I actually keep my guitar roughly as high as Petrucci because it does make it a lot easier to play and I really don't care what people think of me. They can call me a dork, I don't care, calling me it doesn't make me one and when they get arthritis they know who to blame.
I really don't care how high Petrucci or anyone else hold their guitar, as long as they can hit all the notes fine.
RAI

GregN wrote:
beyondthenotes712 wrote:Watching Greg Bissonette (Satch's bass player) cracks me up :lol:
Are you sure that is Greg?

I searched google and stuff and i only found that he was a drummer.

but who knows google sucks sometimes.
That would be Greg's brother Matt.
He was also the replacement for Billy Sheehan in the DLR band for the "Skyscraper" tour...
His bass was much higher back then.
8)
guyver_dio

GregN wrote: Billy Sheehan has said has that the best height for your guitar is where it is when you are sitting down. So, you guitar should really move when you stand up.
I've heard this too and that is how I always know where to exactly set my belt. It's the most comfortable position for your guitar IMO. There would be no way I could pull off the stuff I do if it I had it hung like a punk rocker, so if it effects your playing ability then surely this must over-rule looks so you'd be silly to do it.
toms-ruin

i play with the midle of my guitar on my hip, i noticed tho that having your guiitar up mega high doesnt make it easier to play every thing, but definatley has its benifits for shred.

so i think that there are benifits to using different positions, and obviously there will be differences between the effects for different body sizes etc.