no time for guitar...

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
nosferatu777

I can't be the only one out there. I work 45 hours per week @ one job; plus I work part time whenever I can fill in. Then I have a very understanding woman in my life who I want to spend some quality time with. My chops aren't what they used to be.
slash89

You have to ask yourself what is more important: A healthy social life, or being fully devoted to the playing.
Steve himself has said that he has been tremendously selfish in his life. Because nothing was more important to him than learning that lick or song. Every rose has its thorn.
Big Bad Bill

nosferatu777 wrote:I can't be the only one out there. I work 45 hours per week @ one job; plus I work part time whenever I can fill in. Then I have a very understanding woman in my life who I want to spend some quality time with. My chops aren't what they used to be.
You have to eat nosferatu777! Guitar is just a hobby unless you're a professional musician!
spanishphrygian

I hear you man, I think most adults experience the same thing.
GregN

spanishphrygian wrote:I hear you man, I think most adults experience the same thing.
Yay for only being 16 8)
Nikkoe

GregN wrote:
spanishphrygian wrote:I hear you man, I think most adults experience the same thing.
Yay for only being 16 8)
Same here, dude! Though I aspire to become a professional musician -- or at least a successful music teacher.
aaron555

I started to play at the age of 15, now I 21 and i notice that I have less free time to play my guitar wich I love, so if you are a teen dont weast your time and play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tony K

aaron555 wrote:I started to play at the age of 15, now I 21 and i notice that I have less free time to play my guitar wich I love, so if you are a teen dont weast your time and play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats where I am at. I am 13, and here was my yesterday...

Get home from school,
Record for 3 hours,
Eat,
Record,
Practice,
Sleep.

I love my life!
toms-ruin

i had this same problem, and to an extent i still do.

at the moment the way i manage to get more pratice is that i dont realy touch my electric, i would find a lot of the time that if i only had the oppertunity to have a short practice then id end up not bothering because i knew that by the time i set my stuff up etc. id either have lost interest or spent most of my time.

now i unless i know i have plenty of time, i stick to my accoustic (i know its not the same thing but its a compromise and its worked for me) just pick up and play, 5mins here 10 there.

and a bonus playin accoustic more, has acctualy revived my interest a lil more, sinse im now doing somethink a lil bit different.
T bird

can your guitar speak and bitch about your day???
djhollowman

nosferatu777 wrote:I can't be the only one out there. I work 45 hours per week @ one job; plus I work part time whenever I can fill in. Then I have a very understanding woman in my life who I want to spend some quality time with. My chops aren't what they used to be.
I'm with you man! I've often thought "wouldn't it be great if I had no biological need for sleep, so I could play through the night and never feel tired!" I have 2 sons, one is almost 3 and the other is 6 months old, I get almost no time at all to play at home! I'm so desperate to play that I took one of my guitars to work, and I play on my lunchbreak hour every day!! It makes all the difference! :D
As for Steve's selfishness, well, I don't wanna get divorced so some compromise is inevitable, lol!
Shredded Heat

I used to be able to get in 2-3 hours at least every evening, but I moved house at the start of the summer and the new location isn't really conducive to proper practice - not so much a case of not having enough time, but none of my equipment fits in my new room, and neighbours are always complaining about the noise, which makes me feel guilty whenever I do get the time to put in some solid hours. My landlord's gonna sell the house soon though so hopefully I can find somewhere better.

Still wish thre were more hours in the day though!
djhollowman

Tony K wrote:
aaron555 wrote:I started to play at the age of 15, now I 21 and i notice that I have less free time to play my guitar wich I love, so if you are a teen dont weast your time and play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats where I am at. I am 13, and here was my yesterday...

Get home from school,
Record for 3 hours,
Eat,
Record,
Practice,
Sleep.

I love my life!
When you say "record" do you mean you're recording yourself playing? That's a really good idea, both in terms of being able to see and document your own development as a player, and also so that you're more likely to capture those all-important "playing-out-of-your-skin" moments!! I find it can be very inspiring to be reminded how far you've come along as a guitarist, esp. if you're kinda stuck-in-a-rut for a period.
Play your heart out while you can, you won't ever regret it - but spare a thought for us poor guys who don't have enough hours!! Right, gotta go practice.....
j3

I wish I hadn't wasted so much time practicing when I was 16. When you become a professional musician, the majority of your success is being able to respond appropriately and gracefully when talking to bandmates, club owners and educational institutions. There are a ton of musicians who have more success and poorer chops than I do. I would say that 30 minutes to an hour a day is enough to make a rewarding accomplishment. By the time you're 35, it does not matter if you spent 10 hours a day or an hour a day when you were 16, you are going to be as good as you'll ever be minus the repertoire. Practice as much as you have time to practice without letting it overtake your life and when you practice concentrate on very small, attainable goals like, warm up 5 minutes, transcribe 25 minutes, play songs 20 minutes, improvise 10 minutes or until you have somewhere else to be. Most importantly, do NOT practice sloppy playing.
Warchild
Newcomer

During the week i keep going by playing my unplugged electric in the living room whilst the wife watches tv. I manage to get at least a hour a day just from this which i think most people could achieve.