sweeping question

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
liq_weed
Newcomer

many times have i noticed sweeps running on the same fret for 2 or 3 strings in a row (for example in the shape of an open A chord).
i'm currently learning jason becker's mable's fatal fabal, and when i ran into this kind of sweep i transposed it to a regular C position (plays the same notes).
i was wondering if those kind of sweeps are supposed to be played like normal sweeps i.e using 1st 2nd and 3rd finger for a sweep on the same fret, or is it possible to use a barre with the first finger or something like that?
GregN

im not 100% sure what you are talking about, :roll: but from what i understand...

Yes, you are supposed to bar the notes on the same fret

Look at postition 4 at this site.

http://www.guitarstuff.com/lessons/arpe ... major.html

if you ignore the note in the low E, that is a 5 string major sweep that uses a bar, in this case using the third finger

and here is the same thing for a 5 string minor sweep, once again looking at position four and ignoring the note on the low E

http://www.guitarstuff.com/lessons/arpe ... minor.html

hopefully that helps...
b2

I guess the answer will be you could do both.
I would proberly use barre sweeping because I find it easier and faster.
But sometimes it can get more cleaner when using one finger pr string.
You should look at what comes next and see what is the easiest and
smoothest to play.
Ricardo

It is a special kind of bar that you "roll" across the strings, pressing not all at the same moment, but in succession, with one finger. Gamble had an exercise in a magazine where you roll each finger chromatic while sweep picking:

E----------------------------------
B-----5-6-------------7-8--------
G---5------6-------7------8-----
D-5------------6-7-----------8---
A----------------------------------
E-----------------------------------

Index, then middle, ring, pinky in succession, each finger has its own fret, but you rock the finger a bit rather than squeeze down like a bar.

Ricardo
groom

Ricardo wrote:It is a special kind of bar that you "roll" across the strings, pressing not all at the same moment, but in succession, with one finger. Gamble had an exercise in a magazine where you roll each finger chromatic while sweep picking:

E----------------------------------
B-----5-6-------------7-8--------
G---5------6-------7------8-----
D-5------------6-7-----------8---
A----------------------------------
E-----------------------------------

Index, then middle, ring, pinky in succession, each finger has its own fret, but you rock the finger a bit rather than squeeze down like a bar.

Ricardo
spot on, try sweeping a g shape like so
------------------5--4--------------------------
---------------2--------2-----------------------
------------2--------------2--------------------
---------2--------------------2------------2-----
------4--------------------------4------4--------
---5--------------------------------5-4----------
d d d d d d u u u u u u d d d e.t.c
4 3 1 1 1 4 3 1 1 1 3 4 3 3 1
it's actually a maj 7 arpeggio and can be dom7 if you use the 3rd instead of 4th ion the e's, aaanyway it combines the normal sweeping, barre sweeping, and a big stretch, a poyfect exercise. hope that helped.
spanishphrygian

Sounds like a cool idea, but I would rather refinger everynote. My personal believe is that we all have different hands and we have to find things that we can do with them hopefully for other people then just with yourself, but I figure that what you do with yours is fine. :P