Steve is bored (?)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
YaiYaiYai
Banned

WOuld you ever get bored playing your music???

I mean playing it from an album 15 years ago, you gotta just have to look excited when playing but it really when getting an audience goin maybe not so much

But im sure the band can play Juice with their feet by now?

Anyone else get bored of playing a song this is about live performance
NextStopEarth

I bet a players interst in a song and the amount he's played it could be plotted on a graph resulting in an upsidedown parabola, starting at (0,0). where a player starting from the origin might build interest in a song at first and as he gets more comfortable and familiar with the song, becomes greatly infatuated, but by playing it to much may eventually reach a point where he begins to lose interest in it and plumet down on the graph(heres the twist) but eventually as time is spent on other songs in other areas, the interest for the original song eventually levels out to a medium.

Or maybe would could get even more specific and say that it could be more like a sine graph that eventually works it's way down in magnitude to the linear medium??
Tommy

NextStopEarth wrote:I bet a players interst in a song and the amount he's played it could be plotted on a graph resulting in an upsidedown parabola, starting at (0,0). where a player starting from the origin might build interest in a song at first and as he gets more comfortable and familiar with the song, becomes greatly infatuated, but by playing it to much may eventually reach a point where he begins to lose interest in it and plumet down on the graph(heres the twist) but eventually as time is spent on other songs in other areas, the interest for the original song eventually levels out to a medium.

Or maybe would could get even more specific and say that it could be more like a sine graph that eventually works it's way down in magnitude to the linear medium??
:) :D :D :D
another virtuoso

NextStopEarth wrote:I bet a players interst in a song and the amount he's played it could be plotted on a graph resulting in an upsidedown parabola, starting at (0,0). where a player starting from the origin might build interest in a song at first and as he gets more comfortable and familiar with the song, becomes greatly infatuated, but by playing it to much may eventually reach a point where he begins to lose interest in it and plumet down on the graph(heres the twist) but eventually as time is spent on other songs in other areas, the interest for the original song eventually levels out to a medium.

you paid far to much attention in school
Big Bad Bill

another virtuoso wrote:
NextStopEarth wrote:I bet a players interst in a song and the amount he's played it could be plotted on a graph resulting in an upsidedown parabola, starting at (0,0)........
you paid far to much attention in school
Thankfully-I wish more people would! Such clarity!

It must get boring playing the same song over and over-it must be like telling the same joke or story again and again. But I guess that's why musicians introduce variations in the melody or arrangement in order to keep it fresh.
YaiYaiYai
Banned

Thats why you say

''I could have been been a popstar once...NAT!''

I suppose when you can play it like that it becomes can i play it even more perfect this time....you can play it and think about the chord sequence of the next song
ernzzz

well what NextStopEarth told is probably very true... but i guess having songs that are THAT good (like steve does) might be an extra, to keep the interest in it..

songs that are that introspective and part of him (i guess) that is easier to regain the passion for it..

maybe one guitarist that is more bored than vai can be malmsteen.. his songs have a lot of strenght and passion too, but they dont vary as much.. yet he improved em from year to year, being even more well defined than they were in start..

in the other hand we all know that when you learn and master something in music, that before seemed impossible or very hard, it turns to be the easiest thing ever once you transcend it..
eareshel

i dont think he is bored :P
Vaiagra

It can get extremely boring when you rehearse a song over and over again, especially the lead parts.. until you step out in front of a living, breathing audience :) .
groom

vai often updates his songs i think, for example he does various intros and outros for ftlog, and the attitude song with other ppl (like sardinas).
slash89

Improvising keeps the songs alive..
jam-man

If you think tah Steve got bored playing, you should pay more atention when watching His DVD's or watching Him live!
...I mean...just look at Him! He turns into a little child...He's all smiling and playful...
lydian2000

that being said, as billy sheehan points out in the commentary track for astoria, ppl and me included tend to forget the amount of work it represents to play all these songs, learn them and being able to play them with the exact nuances and that for years and years, tha's why in a sense i think steve is technically far beyond most out there,even YJM, because i think steve if given the time could play any of his stuff, but im pretty sure YJM coudn't perform an entire Vai setlist...think about FSE for example...

welll...IMHO.
slash89

lydian2000 wrote:that being said, as billy sheehan points out in the commentary track for astoria, ppl and me included tend to forget the amount of work it represents to play all these songs, learn them and being able to play them with the exact nuances and that for years and years, tha's why in a sense i think steve is technically far beyond most out there,even YJM, because i think steve if given the time could play any of his stuff, but im pretty sure YJM coudn't perform an entire Vai setlist...think about FSE for example...

welll...IMHO.
Well I'm not too sure about that..
lydian2000

what i mean is he could shred it to pieces, but perform all the nuances,subtelties....hummm dont think so.

:wink: