I never knew that Paul Gilbert was so quick...

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Guitarmiester

I'm pretty sure you probably like Paul's technical/speed side, right? A lot of his solo albums aren't too similar to his work with Racer X.

If you like his technical/speed side, get these:
-Racer X - Second Heat
-Racer X - Street Lethal
-Racer X - Technical Difficulties
-Racer X - Live Volume 1

Those definitely display his best work with Racer X.

As for his solo material, I'd say start with his Space Ship One Live DVD. You'll be able to see what he's really like and find out what his solo albums are about. A lot of his solo albums are pop rock-ish, but he really packs some amazing solos in them, really great stuff though. Listen/watch his solo for 'It's All Too Much' off the SSO Live DVD.
another virtuoso

Dan McAwesome wrote:I just recently noticed how good paul gilbert is, I am hoping to find some decent solo CD's of him, any suggestions?

- Dan
He just released his fist fully instrumental album a couple weeks ago titled "Get Out Of My Yard". It's got some good tracks and some not so brilliant tracks.
If you want his technically intense stuff check out Racer X's Technical Difficulties and Super Heroes albums (especially Technical Difficulties :!: ).
He was also in a band called Mr. Big who wrote songs that sounded more like Whitesnake and that kind of stuff. Check out the albums Lean Into It and Big, Bigger, Biggest - The Best of Mr. Big for some more great music from Paul Gilbert.
treeduck

Dan McAwesome wrote:I just recently noticed how good paul gilbert is, I am hoping to find some decent solo CD's of him, any suggestions?

- Dan
Scarified that brings back memories...

You'll be wanting his new album Dan, "Get Out of My Yard."

:wink:

I heard BBB is the fastest three fingered spider snatcher east of the pennines...

:P
Big Bad Bill

treeduck wrote:I heard BBB is the fastest three fingered spider snatcher east of the pennines...
Don't even mention spiders please treeduck least I get out the Orange sauce.
espguitarlord

The new album, Get Outta My Yard, is a good starting point if you want to hear what he is capable of playing like.

His other solo albums are generally more classic rock "song" orientated and while they have the odd flourish of technical excellence here and there, they don't really showcase his playing. "Superheroes" by Racer X is also a good one to check out.
slash89

sktralternative wrote:this is cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYlx5gW90Aw
Yes, Paul is an amazing guitarist! He is one of my greatest inspiration sources 8)
NAB

Anyone who thinks he is only a shredder should check out some of his stuff such as 'Six Billion People' (jazzy), I am Satan, or Amy Is Amazing... the guy writes good songs, too.

What a player.
mxer

what im in awe about gilbert is how low he can have his guitar and still pull shit off. .. .
KillerArtist

I perfer this Paul Gilbert.

I just get shivers when listening to it. :D
slash89

KillerArtist wrote:I perfer this Paul Gilbert.

Very nice playing and singing! It is very hard to play what he's playing while singing over it at the same time.
lydian2000

:shock: I knew this guy had many talents and could nail anything down but that clip of him singing an playing one my "frank's"-in my world there are two "Franks";-)- favourite songs is amazing..thanx for the link!

8)
slash89

lydian2000 wrote:

:shock: I knew this guy had many talents and could nail anything down but that clip of him singing an playing one my "frank's"-in my world there are two "Franks";-)- favourite songs is amazing..thanx for the link!

8)
Indeed! He is a true virtuoso.
*theanimal*05

I love that paul gilbert too.
he can be so mellow when he wants to. such an amazing alround player.

although i still prefer his balls to the wall shred.

look how fucking clean this god is when he turns the volume down.
this entire solo is sooooooooo cool.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HC60XNiS-MQ
lydian2000

and if u want to see him and marty friedman play over 20 minutes of heavy metal history check that amazing link:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19957