How to play Steve?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
dreamn11
Newcomer

Looks like playing Steve's music is more tougher than Satch..I was trying to play Boston Rain Melody...some part of the song were really tough...
What kind of exercises are recommended so that I can sound like Vai?
Finger streteches...?

TIA
PS: Also which are the best practise tracks of Steve...
jam-man

You really need to study Steve's music. He has very special style and technique. I think the best way is to learn some of His songs and to look for some licks He uses often, scales He plays and to observe His finger streching is a good way to learn to play like Steve!
Then you need to practice that every day, 385 days a year, 26 hours a day and then and only then you'll play like Steve! :D

Rock on!
resha

jam-man wrote:385 days a year
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe that's why Steve plays like He does...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
guyver_dio

It's like with anything, start out on the basics and work you way up from there. Start on some of the technically 'easier' vai songs like for instance Die To Live is a Vai song nearly every vai fan/guitarist learns to play (that I've noticed). As jam-man said above, you really have to get familiar with steve's music and style. This forum will also be a good source to you and I suggest you search the hell out of it as there are many many threads about how to play like steve, analysing steve's styles, techniques and music in general and will give you good indication on what to study.

Also be patient, playing a vai song doesn't happen overnight. Break the songs up in sections and practice your ring off. I can tell you it's deffinately worth going down this path as you will experience a hell of alot of techniques, tricks and concepts you never knew before and will help you feel comfortable with almost any song.
Bababoey

it may help if your fingers are longer than your arms like steve's
Juice777

The style is for me the most important aspect of Steve's playing. The phrasing, the articulation, and the sense of melody and tonality are all things that need to be studied carefully for a full and satisfying performance, as with any composer's work. There are a few quirky things Steve does (the sliding phrases, whammy articulation etc.) that once you've cracked will assist you in playing his music, but at the end of the day there's no substitute for practice and dedication.
fiddlemord

I've said it once and I will say it again. You may know the notes,but that's not enough to make it sound great. Steve is a master of phrasing and dynamics. Usually when I hear guitarists (mostly non-professional) cover some tunes,their playing bores me a little. Yeah,they know the notes to each part and can play the rhythm and all,but it doesn't sound that good. It's hard to play Steve's songs with the same kind of phrasing.
dreamn11
Newcomer

can someone elaborate out what do you mean by phrasing... can u point me specific sections in the song which uses phrasing..

Sorry for dummy question
Benjammin105

I think I would need natural finger enhancement to play like Steve Vai. lol

And maybe that ability to stretch the space time continuum to practice 26 hours a day would be useful too. :D :D
Ricardo

Hate to keep saying it, but again, the reason a lot of Vai's stuff is harder to get a handle on, is because of his sense of timing and rhythm. That is one of the main aspects of "phrasing".

Ricardo
Booligan

dreamn11 wrote:can someone elaborate out what do you mean by phrasing... can u point me specific sections in the song which uses phrasing..

Sorry for dummy question
i take phrasing as how do i or anyone else play the notes. it´s not about how fast you play, it´s all about HOW you play the notes ;)
MarkRobinson

Well....I reckon the best method is to try to play the stuff you want to play of Vai's and don't give up. :) Its perfectly ok to be working on five songs at a time, you'll get a good sense of his style then.

As for the stretching thing, it has little to do with the length of your fingers and more about how much stretch there is between them. You can improve it if it is a problem but try and play some of the music first and establish if it is going to be a problem for you or not.

Good luck!
Warchild
Newcomer

The good thing about Steves music is that there is something for everybody. Some parts are straight forward to play, other parts no other person besides Steve can play.

Its best to pick just a few bars and concentrate on them for a while till perfect.

Bad Horsie is a good song to learn which is accessable but does have some tricky bits in it to take you out of your comfort zone and give you something new to learn.
spanishphrygian

Then you need to practice that every day, 385 days a year, 26 hours a day and then and only then you'll play like Steve! :D
A hah! Now that proves ONCE and For ALL that Steve Came from another planet that has more days and years! Along with his extra stretch E.T. fingers....

Finally we know about (james) Mars hall music! Where it really came from!

:P I am onto what is going on!

Even mikey don't fool me no more!