Vibrato with first finger

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Luan

Hi!!
Well, i'm developing my vibrato, and I had some difficult when I try to do it with the first finger.
I saw that petrucci does a movement that I can't figure out, and I saw zakk doing the same.
Could you explain to me?

Thanks!
JBeCeDe

my vibrato technic is the same with every finger

maybe i am gonna check out my dream theater dvd´s later to see how petrucci does it
VintageVOX

theres lots of ways to do vibrato but i really dont feel like typin it all out. but heres a thing Steve Vai did on vibrato http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/84/vibrato.html
Luan

I already readed vai's article, but it doesn't speak about first finger, wich is a little different technique
RAI

Luan wrote:I already read Vai's article, but it doesn't speak about first finger, which is a little different technique
Why is it different?
VintageVOX

i call the first finger vibrato hand vibrato and i call the other kind finger vibrato.
doing vibrato with your first finger you use your whole hand and with all the other fingers i use just that finger to vibrato the note.
it's kinda hard to explain over this but i can make a short video on it later if you want.
Luan

With the 2, 3 and 4 finger you use at least 2 fingers, but with just one finger you need to do a different movement, I saw that, but I can't make it sound good as the others.
VintageVOX

Luan wrote:With the 2, 3 and 4 finger you use at least 2 fingers, but with just one finger you need to do a different movement, I saw that, but I can't make it sound good as the others.
mine sounds way better then the other fingers
the_grod

lol yea petrucci is awesome...hes got an awesome vibrato...
KillerArtist

Like Satch says, "its all in the wrist".

Really its all in the wrist.
the_grod

I dont know about satch's vibrato though....vai i can understand....
KillerArtist

the_grod wrote:I dont know about satch's vibrato though....vai i can understand....
What do you mean "understand"? That you perfer it over Satchs? :?
Rob A

Personally, I find 1st finger vibrato easiest. I've got more or a BB King "twisting the doorknob" style. I find it harder on 2 and i'm still struggling on 3. Don't ask about the pinky. :oops:
RAI

What about the pinky....?

(sorry, just had to...)

:wink: