Playing till you weep? Anyone?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
LupinTheThird

Okay maybe not weep but.... I have heard of Steve listening to music and playing music and just being reduced to tears..

I have had this experence .. As for playing its happened to me a couple times during long extended jams.. It seems that after exhausting all the standard licks you just begin searching your soul for stuff... I mentioned this in the Zappa thread but once while jamming to Hot Rats this happened.. I started from the begining and by the time I reached the Gumbo Varations I was crying.. It was great.. I seem to remember it happening a few times before but I cant remember any specific tune..

As far as listening to music the Nutcracker Suite always makes me feel warm and fuzzy and Clare de Lune has brought a tear to my eye.. WHat else? Oh yeah Led Zeppelin's "The Rain Song" gives me super emotional vibes.. ..I get the same feeling when I listen to "Call it Sleep".. When I was 16 I used to fall asleep to that tune imagining I was onstage playing it in front of thousands. Crazy kid I was... .. maybe someday..

oh well, anyone else have this happen?

d
shredlord

Nice thread, dude!

Regarding playing a piece and listening too it, I'd say, definitely "Easter" by Marillion. Steve Rothery is such a emotional player, his vibrato has such a desperate feeling, that's really bringing me tears (in a positive way).

Then Alice Cooper's "It's me" and "Stolen Prayer" (wonderful solo!), Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing", "Hole in my soul", and, of course "Cryin'" (:D).

In case of just-guitar-music, there's so much beautiful stuff, but nothing of it would make me cry, even not Steve's stuff. But there's one song of Joe Satriani, a wonderful, calm little tune, called "Baroque", which nearly got me weepin'.

Crying in musical extasy, I once experienced with "Was it all worth it" by Queen.
ibanezV12

Thats what its all about ... respect this thread ... but i'd prefare to let the guitar weep for me !! coz when u cry u just cry ! but when u let ur instrument do it ... u'll get musical tears & emotional screams the human body cant reach ! thats where the soul comes & blends with what ur heart signals to ur fingers & let that distorted sound speak the UNSPOKEN ! no words .... no sense ... 1 simple Edgey BEND can explode a nuke inner soul bomb of emotions! ... i'd say Criss Oliva had alot of those kinda moments!

Peace & Salute

www.musicalization.blogspot.com
S.V_is_god88

Cool Thread :D

For me its nearly anythning from The Phantom of the Opera (i dont know y) and with regards to purly guitar, Lotus Feet, Feathers and Whispering a Prayer.

Warm Regards
Chris
williebee

I was Playing a Bikers Party a couple months ago and got a request from the wife of a guy who was killed in a bike accident not too long ago. The tune was Skynyrd's Simple Man. Wow, I think I played the tune with this big freakin lump in my throat and tears in my eyes through the whole thing. Man my guitar was doing some real crying too. It's amazing the emotion that can come through your instrument. I'll never forget that one.
J Carlos

yeah! sometimes it happens to me !!

when i listen "Cry For You" (by Andy Timmons), Windows To The Soul ( by Steve vai)I feel very good and relax. There are the two songs that really touch my soul! :D
seeking 7

Check out David Gimour "on a island" for so major weeping :cry:
LupinTheThird

ibanezV12 wrote:Thats what its all about ... respect this thread ... but i'd prefare to let the guitar weep for me !! coz when u cry u just cry ! but when u let ur instrument do it ... u'll get musical tears & emotional screams the human body cant reach ! thats where the soul comes & blends with what ur heart signals to ur fingers & let that distorted sound speak the UNSPOKEN ! no words .... no sense ... 1 simple Edgey BEND can explode a nuke inner soul bomb of emotions! ... i'd say Criss Oliva had alot of those kinda moments!

Peace & Salute

www.musicalization.blogspot.com
Right! Thats what I meant.. When I was jamming to the Gumbo Variations I had used up all of the standard licks... Then I was forced to play from my emotion.. what I felt not what I knew or had practiced before.. Tapping into that was soo intense that the tears came. I guess I shoulda clarified.. :)
smj

seeking 7 wrote:Check out David Gimour "on a island" for so major weeping :cry:
I literally can't stop listening to this album. It's gorgeous in so many ways... particuarly sonically. It wasn't smashed to death in the mastering.

Sean Meredith-Jones
http://www.seanmeredithjones.com
Vaiagra

I get a lump in my throat when I hear the first 2 minutes of "Boston Rain Melody", the "Blue Powder " cadenza and the solo of "Hand of Heart".

It all takes me back to a period in life where I abandoned my guitar playing and sense of reality for drugs.

Steve always brings me back. 8)
SalamanderExcess

Hey i nearly cried during the new song Steve played on the Real Illusions tour, i think its called I'm Becoming.
Mustikk
Newcomer

I don't cry but i often shiver when im listening to vai's song, or "Nothing Else Matters" (Metallica), and other beautiful solos... ! :!:
mrfastfingers

I've weeped a couple o' times when listening to music. Once i had this mmmmmm lets say "bitter" experience with a girl and then i put my GnR cd on and November Rain started playin....dude, amazing feeling. I've been getting the same emotion with Crazy (Aerosmith) only this time there's no girl involved lol
But I not only weep when listening to music. It would be kinda dull if music only made u weep. I've smiled too. I've felt stronger, weaker, desperate, horny, angry....everything.
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

I've cried once on stage. It was an outdoor gig with a good 400 people there. Everything sounded perfect and my guitar sounded like more of a voice rather than wires. I know this sounds really cliche but it's true. But you know you're playing your heart out when you bleed and keep playing. Man it was this beefy .12 high E string that I bent the crap out of and it just skinned me. It was awesome.
chasmshredder

I never had an experience like that one.... unfortunally....