crossroads help

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
precario

#16 Post by precario » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Alright, how I play that last note? Actually I play the last three notes, that are just way high, on the B string with artificial harmonics. So that we have the right pitch.

dweezil 9

#17 Post by dweezil 9 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:41 pm

I jsut explained, he uses the fret pick up. And there are several guitars dubbed into the recording.

Willie

#18 Post by Willie » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:07 pm

Hey guys 8)

dwezil 9 is right, if you listen carefuly to Eugene's guitar parts, below the slide work and very clearly you'll hear Steve's Jaskon Solosit playing the exact same thingeven in the very list squeel on the top E string, that was how I know that it Steve, who did both guitar parts in that duel.

Another thing that isn't clear is if Steve had the top 4 frets on that neck scalloped or not, if they were scalloped, then you're gonna be able to get a much higher squeel that with a regular fretboard :)

It's also quite possible that Steve has 'Coil Splitter' options on the Jackson also for that guitar and just using the 2nd coil of the neck HB :)

I'm not sure if any of you would agree with this or if this is the case :), if anyone doesn't agree or if I have got it wrong, then please feel free to correct me on it :)

Take good care everyone and peace always :peace 8)

al

#19 Post by al » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:26 pm

Just play the note

acoates

#20 Post by acoates » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:35 am

mhuey1 wrote:Maybe he used a harmonizer to hit that high A or a slide. :?:

I highly a doubt that Vai speed a tape up to play that fast! It makes no sense that he would play it at a lower pitch to then speed it up to the right pitch. :roll:
VAI IS NOT A SLACKER!!! :wink:

Listen to the movie version, i.e. on the film not the soundtrack. It's higher than a normal tuned guitar suggesting sped up to me.

I reckon he probably played it properly for other recordings because it's the right pitch i believe (I'll check)

j3

#21 Post by j3 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:21 am

[quote="Willie"]Hey guys 8)

dwezil 9 is right, if you listen carefuly to Eugene's guitar parts, below the slide work and very clearly you'll hear Steve's Jaskon Solosit playing the exact same thingeven in the very list squeel on the top E string, that was how I know that it Steve, who did both guitar parts in that duel.
Ry Cooder played the slide/blues parts of the duel. Steve played both 'Eugene's trick bag' parts The difference is that he played Eugene's part on a single coil setting, his imitation with an HB

Another thing that isn't clear is if Steve had the top 4 frets on that neck scalloped or not, if they were scalloped, then you're gonna be able to get a much higher squeel that with a regular fretboard :)
Not true. Scalloped frets have no effect on pitch (unless you squeeze the string-almost impossible to get more than 1/4 tone in frets 20-24) and little effect on timbre.

It's also quite possible that Steve has 'Coil Splitter' options on the Jackson also for that guitar and just using the 2nd coil of the neck HB :)
Neither would this effect the pitch of the note

I'm not sure if any of you would agree with this or if this is the case :), if anyone doesn't agree or if I have got it wrong, then please feel free to correct me on it :)

Willie

#22 Post by Willie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi j3, That confirms what I though at the beginning :)

I have spoken to a guitar maker about getting a 7 string w/ a scalloped fret board at the top 4 frets and it was he that told me thatit makes it earier to get a higher bend effect on the fret, now if this is not that case, then not only do I stand corrected, but the guitar maker does also :)

I do know that on the suggestion of a speed up of the music in Crossroads, ALL music in ALL movies sounds at a higher key because I have noticed this that when I heard 'Walking Away Blues from Crossroads, (sond at the end credits) and then I buy the soundtrack albumn, the song is in slightly lower key :)

The only explanation for this, must be that the playback in movies is slightly faster than the playback of a a regular CD :)

anyways, take care everyone and peace always :peace 8)

j3

#23 Post by j3 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:18 am

Willie wrote:Hi j3, That confirms what I though at the beginning :)

I have spoken to a guitar maker about getting a 7 string w/ a scalloped fret board at the top 4 frets and it was he that told me thatit makes it earier to get a higher bend effect on the fret, now if this is not that case, then not only do I stand corrected, but the guitar maker does also :)
Actually, you might be able to get a better grip on the string, possibly allowing you to bend further, but Steve's whammy bends up to a P5 above the fretted pitch (the top A note is a P4 above a 24th fret E), I've never met anyone who can bend that high. If he was using the guitar to generate the high pitch, he'd probably use the whammy. Anyway, there are a bunch of guitars on the last few notes of that harmonic minor scale and I think the one guy talking about fretting on the neck pickup coil is correct. I play it differently than Steve does at the end, but I think playing the last note on the pickup generates the highest pitch in the chord that makes up the last note. The catch is that you have to have a guitar with pickups in exactly (or very close to) the same place as Steve's guitar. Otherwise fretting the string on the pickup will produce a different note just as playing on a different fret would do the same.
anyways, take care everyone and peace always :peace 8)
Last edited by j3 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Willie

#24 Post by Willie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:40 am

ahh yes, I see what you mean :), that was why I was wondering if The last coil on the Neck HB had been used in last section of the Trick Bag solo :), but it's like you say, every guitarist plays differently :) and it's good that way because it's good to have more stuff to learn :)

I'll say one thing though :), I don't really care though how it is played cos it's still pretty damn cool 8)

I have considered getting the new RG fretboard scallopped, but I'm not going to yet because I would rather try a guitar that has been scalloped before I would have it done to the RG :), even I still gotta wait a few days for the damn guitar to arrive and it sucks big time :)

I'm gonna make a video of playing 'Feelin' Bad Blues' from Crossroads, it's the song that Eugene plays when Willie Brown confesses that he lied to Eugene about the "Lost Song", it's the best song I can suggest for anyone learning to play slide and also learning to play with feeling :) and I also play harmonica, so if anyone wants to hear a little harp blowin', just hollar and I'll cook up some of my own blues harp recipies :)

Take care everyone and peace always :peace 8)

Willie

groom

#25 Post by groom » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:05 pm

*theanimal*05 wrote:thats bullshit that steve sped the tape up u know.

HE IS STEVE VAI U KNOW!!!!!

that's what i heard, and you must remember that he wasn't always that fast. he could probably do it now though.

Willie

#26 Post by Willie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 pm

I have said this before and I'll say it again, the tapes wasn't sped up by steve, the Music that is played in the movie, is faster because the playback of a movie is faster than the playback of a music cassette.

For example, if you watch the movie Crossroads, you'll hear that it sounds pretty fast, but if you listen to it on a CD from the original remastered recording, you'll hear the same piece, being played in exactly the same way, BUT!... it is playing in a lower key and isn't as fast in the movie because of the playback difference btween a huge movie making Camera from a Recording Studio.

Now, I hope this will put the idea of the tapes being sped up or Steve playing that fast out the window, just enjoy the damn music and quit pulling your hair out :)

Take care everyone and peace always :)

student
Newcomer

Re:

#27 Post by student » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:17 am

groom wrote:qwertyuiop[]

asdfghjkl;'#

zxcvbnm,./

steve alternate picks it i believe, but he also detuned, played it slower, then sped the tape player up, still hellishly fast though.
Can you tell me how you know Vai sped up Eugene’s Trick Bag & in particular that it was done by speeding up the tape? I'm especially interested in the opening arpeggios.

Arlen Roth, Macchio's coach for the film has said online, in several places, that it was sped up.

I would really appreciate your reply !! ---Thanks!!