Jason Becker Legato (video inside)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Message
Author
acoates
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:38 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

#16 Post by acoates » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:17 am

GuitarHero wrote: Well, saying one of my favorite guitarists is unimaginative gets my blood boiling. Have you ever listened to a Jason Becker album??? Probably not based on your comments. And if you've come up with better shit than that you would be out making money playing music and not sitting on your ass at your computer desk writing on this forum. Have a listen to the album, "Perpetual Burn" and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from.

---
Edit: btw he was only about 19, 20 years old in that video.
Calm down we're all ok everythings fine be cool we're all ok everything is ok :(

Firstly, someone doesn't like your favourite guitarist; get over it.

Secondly I would support you in the sense that this is just a showing off spot to get the audience going

But if the guy has listened to Becker in a wider context and still doesn't like it then he has every right to make an opinion on it.

User avatar
Deyo
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 1:52 pm
Location: Croatia
Contact:

#17 Post by Deyo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:05 am

alienillusions wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:
alienillusions wrote: I've come up with a lot more original and beautiful pieces than that, not that I have anything to prove. His tone is shite, EVH would school the kid. I wonder if he's ever played rhythm? It's impressive that he can play so fast, however, he sounds stale and mechanical. No soul. No need to get so uptight.
Well, saying one of my favorite guitarists is unimaginative gets my blood boiling. Have you ever listened to a Jason Becker album??? Probably not based on your comments. And if you've come up with better shit than that you would be out making money playing music and not sitting on your ass at your computer desk writing on this forum. Have a listen to the album, "Perpetual Burn" and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from.

---
Edit: btw he was only about 19, 20 years old in that video.
Kid, grow up and suck it up...you need to learn to accept other people's opinions without getting so upset. Shows your low level of maturity to say I should be out making money if I'm so good. Money is not what music is all about, and if you haven't learned that yet, then you shouldn't be playing kiddo. I've listened to all that stuff. Becker just never impressed me. I've never been a fan of sweep picking either, even though Vai does it here and there. Becker is overkill with the technique though. Just sounds like a powerdrill that has a dying battery. I'm a huge Vai, Satch, Holdsworth EVH etc... fan because those guys have finesse AND chops AND a keen sense of melody AND great tone, none of which Becker posesses. Now if you can't accept this opinion and you're going to whine like a baby about it again, please re-think your aggressive defensiveness and accept the fact that people will have different tastes and opinions than your own. Not everyone has to think "Perpetual Burn" is awesome.
i love Vai, Satch and Holdsworth, EVH, ...but i seriously think that none of them is even close to composing something like J.Beckers "Air" ... for anyone who has ever checked out tabs for that song, one can see that it's out of space... nothing tops Air.

GuitarHero
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

#18 Post by GuitarHero » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:50 am

acoates wrote: Calm down we're all ok everythings fine be cool we're all ok everything is ok :(

Firstly, someone doesn't like your favourite guitarist; get over it.

Secondly I would support you in the sense that this is just a showing off spot to get the audience going

But if the guy has listened to Becker in a wider context and still doesn't like it then he has every right to make an opinion on it.
I'm calm! lol.

I could give a rats ass if he likes him or not, but to call him unimaginative is just plain ignorant. That's all I was saying ok?

----
Edit: Alienillusions you're right I was out of line for what I said about you making money..... I appolagize.

alienillusions
Banned
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:31 pm

#19 Post by alienillusions » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:52 pm

GuitarHero wrote:
acoates wrote: Calm down we're all ok everythings fine be cool we're all ok everything is ok :(

Firstly, someone doesn't like your favourite guitarist; get over it.

Secondly I would support you in the sense that this is just a showing off spot to get the audience going

But if the guy has listened to Becker in a wider context and still doesn't like it then he has every right to make an opinion on it.
I'm calm! lol.

I could give a rats ass if he likes him or not, but to call him unimaginative is just plain ignorant. That's all I was saying ok?

----
Edit: Alienillusions you're right I was out of line for what I said about you making money..... I appolagize.
Cool. Don't hate the player. Hate the game! I learned that from some white rapper on TV. :lol: Sorry for fanning the flames, I'll stay away from Becker comments.

GuitarHero
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

#20 Post by GuitarHero » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:54 pm

alienillusions wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:
acoates wrote: Calm down we're all ok everythings fine be cool we're all ok everything is ok :(

Firstly, someone doesn't like your favourite guitarist; get over it.

Secondly I would support you in the sense that this is just a showing off spot to get the audience going

But if the guy has listened to Becker in a wider context and still doesn't like it then he has every right to make an opinion on it.
I'm calm! lol.

I could give a rats ass if he likes him or not, but to call him unimaginative is just plain ignorant. That's all I was saying ok?

----
Edit: Alienillusions you're right I was out of line for what I said about you making money..... I appolagize.
Cool. Don't hate the player. Hate the game! I learned that from some white rapper on TV. :lol: Sorry for fanning the flames, I'll stay away from Becker comments.
Lol nice comment. You have a right to say whatever you want, but I just don't see how you think Jason is unimaginative... I'd like to know why you think so. Or maybe it was just that particular solo?

endor
Member
Member
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: campbellford ontario

#21 Post by endor » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:28 pm

wasnt this thread once about getting a tab for a musical composition that guitar player named jason becker performed in that video clip posted, please, stop argueing about guitar players, jason becker plays guitar, I play guitar, along with millions of people. Music is music, let us embrace the pssitive value of it and stop spreading the negative. why should we say to somone who enjoys the art of music that the person/band they lisiten to is untalented and boring. The music certainly cant be untalented if somones listening to it. If you have people listening to your music, you have the talent to bring them joy to listen to music, to bring something they find intresting and fun to there ears. Let it be Steve vai or Brittney spears or Bach or mozart or corey hart, or even janet jackson. i cant be totally fair, even i said to somone befor the music they listened to sucks, and well, i apoligize for that. It all boils down to TASTE, and what YOUR, intrested in.

Zebula77
Member
Member
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

#22 Post by Zebula77 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:35 am

What he said! :lol:

Benighted
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:42 am

#23 Post by Benighted » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:13 am

Jason Becker is awesome and his technique is unquestionable but that particular legato line at the start of the video is just horrible. That's not music it's mindless speed.

pr1nce
Member
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:08 pm
Location: United Kingdom - Leeds
Contact:

#24 Post by pr1nce » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:18 am

idd Becker was a v fast and great technical guitarist, but i agree on the sound, it didnt sound melodic enough for my ears to enjoy, at some points it did sound like cats having a fight :(

alienillusions
Banned
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:31 pm

#25 Post by alienillusions » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 pm

endor wrote:wasnt this thread once about getting a tab for a musical composition that guitar player named jason becker performed in that video clip posted, please, stop argueing about guitar players, jason becker plays guitar, I play guitar, along with millions of people. Music is music, let us embrace the pssitive value of it and stop spreading the negative. why should we say to somone who enjoys the art of music that the person/band they lisiten to is untalented and boring. The music certainly cant be untalented if somones listening to it. If you have people listening to your music, you have the talent to bring them joy to listen to music, to bring something they find intresting and fun to there ears. Let it be Steve vai or Brittney spears or Bach or mozart or corey hart, or even janet jackson. i cant be totally fair, even i said to somone befor the music they listened to sucks, and well, i apoligize for that. It all boils down to TASTE, and what YOUR, intrested in.
Did someone say the word 'untalented', because I sure didn't...

Zebula77
Member
Member
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

#26 Post by Zebula77 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:25 pm

pr1nce wrote:idd Becker was a v fast and great technical guitarist, but i agree on the sound, it didnt sound melodic enough for my ears to enjoy, at some points it did sound like cats having a fight :(
But he was YO-YOing! That's the whole point, hehehe. :lol:

Bono
Member
Member
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:47 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

#27 Post by Bono » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Without a doubt one of the most technical players who ever picked up a guitar - such a shame about his illness - wasted on a great player :(

acoates
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:38 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

#28 Post by acoates » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:00 pm

endor wrote:wasnt this thread once about getting a tab for a musical composition that guitar player named jason becker performed in that video clip posted, please, stop argueing about guitar players, jason becker plays guitar, I play guitar, along with millions of people. Music is music, let us embrace the pssitive value of it and stop spreading the negative. why should we say to somone who enjoys the art of music that the person/band they lisiten to is untalented and boring. The music certainly cant be untalented if somones listening to it. If you have people listening to your music, you have the talent to bring them joy to listen to music, to bring something they find intresting and fun to there ears. Let it be Steve vai or Brittney spears or Bach or mozart or corey hart, or even janet jackson. i cant be totally fair, even i said to somone befor the music they listened to sucks, and well, i apoligize for that. It all boils down to TASTE, and what YOUR, intrested in.
After hearing some of the Pop/American Idol entries there are indeed untalented people in the world, and in general a lot of music is sold on the basis of the artist being 1) hot and 2) singing music written for them by people with talent. Not only that, but the songwriters are required to appeal to the lowest common demoninator with songs about "my baby" and how "you've ruined my life because you slept with someone not as deep as I am".

We should give our honest opinion about things, rather than embracing nothing but the positive just to massage people's egos. Its like the schools which don't give F grades anymore and call it delayed success. If you think it sucks, say so, just don't be obnoxious and make it obvious you don't think your opinion means everyone should think it sucks.

User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

#29 Post by lydian7 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:23 pm

He was fast and precise, and he's obviously technically acomplished, but his groove doesn't sound naturally musical. To cram as many notes into a single bar and to sweep pick all over the neck is one talent, but to fit it into the context of a song, and to capture the soulfulness of the groove is another.

If he had the groove of hendrix, he'd have been unstoppable. Or is that Steve Vai? ;)

Very talented guitarist, it's a shame about what happened to him at such a tender age.

dweezil 9
Member
Member
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:25 am

#30 Post by dweezil 9 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:33 pm

Fuck, alienillusion, your opinion was never asked, don't waste space. Thanks for the tab.

Locked