overview over the fretboard

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
matthias

overview over the fretboard

#1 Post by matthias » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:53 am

hi everyone, can you help me on getting a better overview of the fretboard, like exercises or something. i'd be really happy :D

thx matthias

Roger

#2 Post by Roger » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:28 am

Learning where the intervals are compared to a note is good and useful.
like an octave for example:

Code: Select all

--- ---- -17- --- -5-
--- -10- ---- --- ---
--- ---- -14- -2- ---
-7- -7-- ---- --- ---
--- ---- ---- --- ---
-5- ---- ---- -5- -5-
And learn intervals on one string. Major third is on the 4th fret, fourth is on the 5th fret, and fifth is on the 7th fret, octave on the 12th fret etc.
Then you can start connecting what you know and maybe start seing patterns.

beyondthenotes712

#3 Post by beyondthenotes712 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:25 am

"overview of the fretboard" is kind of vague... do you want to know where the different scales and modes line up all over the fretboard? Or some more theory related things? Intervals (mentioned above) are very important too.

matthias

#4 Post by matthias » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:02 am

Sometimes i play and just don't know where the notes are that fit the scale, no matter which scale I'm in... i just need somev exercises that helped you or somethinf like that. but although thanks for your help (the interval exercises were really cool :D

NatiFable

#5 Post by NatiFable » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:21 am

I think the first thing you should do in memorize all the names of the notes on the fretboard. That was one of the first things my dad had me do when I started.

Draw a guitar neck, write all the notes out on each of the strings. Some books already have them diagramed for you. You will see where all the notes are. Now circle all the notes that are in a pentatonic scale for example, all over the neck. You will end up with a neck diagram with all the notes that are in that scale. Break them up into patterns. You will now have a system of positions up and down the neck, you'll be able to solo using all of these patterns up and down the neck. That's a start.

peace and light

Guitarmiester

#6 Post by Guitarmiester » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:32 am

Sort of a side note for you: When learning the fretboard, you most likely will discover the 'box shapes'. Yes, they are easy and helpful, but make sure you also think LINEAR! After a while of just playing within the box shapes you will get bored with it, LINEAR is really the best way to go. I'm not saying don't learn the box shapes, but also think LINEAR! That was one of Joe Satriani's biggest thing to get across to people just learning the fretboard (it's in his 'Guitar Secrets' book). As for learning the fretboard, here's a great little test to put yourself through: Once you learn all the notes and where they are, pick a note and play it everywhere on the fretboard, but do it at a consistent speed, test yourself, it'll be your proof that you know that you've actually memorized the fretboard.

matthias

#7 Post by matthias » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:50 am

wow, these technics are hard 8) , but i have to admit they help :D !! thanks a lot guys!!

Gastric Sumo

#8 Post by Gastric Sumo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:26 am

Seeing the guitar neck in a linear way helped me out alot. Especially if you only know say, the penatonic blues scale. Also realize that the notes on the neck really just go to the 12th fret. After that, they just start over again only an octive higher, with the 12th fret being like the nut at the first fret. A good way to start seeing the fretboard in a linear way, it to see all the notes as a series of odds and evens. 2 frets down 2 up, then maybe one fret down. And from there maybe 2 down 2 up or something like that. You will start going up and down the neck using the dot inlays much more. And most importantly use your ears to practice staying in key. You may go off key, but that's when that series of odds and evens sorta comes into play. You can just zipp down the same string somewhere and make it sound like you meant to do it.

Roger

#9 Post by Roger » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:45 pm

Gastric Sumo wrote: You will start going up and down the neck using the dot inlays much more.
What if you play a guitar that don't have dot inlays? :lol:

Mike7771

#10 Post by Mike7771 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:03 pm

Try my site http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com it has lots of tools designed to help you get a better understanding of the fretboard.

Good luck,
Mike