Vibrato Whilst Bending

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
stu_hig

I sound like such a noob but can anyone explain to me how I can get good vibrator while I'm bending a note? Is there any special technique to it or is it just slowly rocking the string gently until I get it up to speed?

Thanks in advance! :)
guyver_dio

Not sure if my technique is right, but this is what I do and it sounds good. I wouldn't exactly say I rock my finger back and forth whilst in a bend, it's more of an up down motion. I learnt this by watching Gary Moore. This is a big part of his sound and now it's apart of my style too.

My advice is to watch closely at some Gary Moore vids, preferrably 'Parisienne Walkways'. Or watch any of your favourite artists doing it, study it, then try it yourself. This Up Down pattern I use sounded bad for awhile, but now I have it under control and sounds really awsome.
antithetic
Newcomer

I do pretty much the same thing i.e a slow up and down motion. It's the one part of my playing that gets more compliments than any other, so there's got to be something right about it. I personaly love the sound it gives.
klangmaster TM

You should refer to Yngwie's style. He gets it very nice. I do the same - it's nothing special. Just bend and vibrate, as I do, with whole arm. It's naturally and makes screamy sound. :) How long do You play? You should have all fingers prepared.
Big Bad Bill

Bend up to pitch using as many fingers as you can (at least three). Then the trick is to begin the vibrato by dropping the pitch down a little and back up to pitch-not beyond. It doesn't have to be very fast at all but you'll have to be careful about catching adjacent strings-I rest my pick on the adjacent string I'm bending/vibratoing toward in order to mute it.

Practice it regularly and you'll crack it soon enough! Good luck!
chris_lpp

stu_hig wrote:I sound like such a noob but can anyone explain to me how I can get good vibrator while I'm bending a note? Is there any special technique to it or is it just slowly rocking the string gently until I get it up to speed?

Thanks in advance! :)
SCOTT GORHAM (go to google)

BEST VIBRATO EVER
NantucketSleighrider

Best vibrato ever? Can you say... LESLIE WEST!?!?

He can do so much with his vibrato, he can make it talk man, it is pure genius.

Check out early stuff by Mountain for more info!
Zebula77

Big Bad Bill wrote:Bend up to pitch using as many fingers as you can (at least three). Then the trick is to begin the vibrato by dropping the pitch down a little and back up to pitch-not beyond. It doesn't have to be very fast at all but you'll have to be careful about catching adjacent strings-I rest my pick on the adjacent string I'm bending/vibratoing toward in order to mute it.

Practice it regularly and you'll crack it soon enough! Good luck!
Well, that is one way to do it, but vibrating slightly beyond the pitch is nice too. What I like to do is vibrato slightly beyond and slightly below. If you've listened to some Chinese Violin players, you'll hear that kind of vibrato which is what I go for sometimes.
Vibrato is really one of the most expressive tools you've got as a musician and getting good at it is vital in my opinion. I really don't like when players have flat or unskilled vibratos. It makes it sound lifeless and not particularily emotional.
shredlord

but remember, violin-players won't bend the strings :D

i think there are some really good players with flat vibratos. like steve morse etc.
Benighted

Some shit hot vibrato players mentioned, so let us not forget Zakk Wylde and Yngwie Malmsteen !
chris_lpp

Benighted wrote:Some shit hot vibrato players mentioned, so let us not forget Zakk Wylde and Yngwie Malmsteen !
no...lets
shredlord

yeah, you can say about yngwie what you want, but he has a phantastic vibrato... very hendrix-like...
NatiFable

Vibrato is soooo overlooked and adds so much to your playing. I still to this day can get lost just hitting a note and adding every kind of vibrato I can think of. There are so many combinations it's just incredible.

I would start with a non bent note and build up your technique. But I would also have you work on your bending. Find a note say a whole step up from the note, pluck it-to get the sound in your head. Then bend the note a whole step down from the starting pitch and bend it so it matches. Do this with all strings, all neck positions and step increased-half step, whole step, ect. You'll really bend with authority-some people just bend a note and have no target to what note their bending too.

It's a must that your bends sound beautiful so that when you hit your target note-bent or fretted, it will sing with your application of vibrato.

Just bend a note and establish the note you are bending to and add just a nice smooth vibrato. Nothing fancy, just get the note to sing. Like I said there will be so many different ways to add bends and vibrato that you'll get lost in it! For example: Bend a note, add nice vibrato, release the note so it drops in pitch and rebend to the next higher note and add a nice wide vibrato. The combinations are endless.

Once you really start working your vibrato, you'll really hear it in other players, especially Blues players. But you should also try to phrase your vibrato/bends with singers. Very rewarding exercise. Take a Bessy Smith vocal-just a phrase and transcribe that and you will really be happening with the technique. You'll hear other musical instruments from other countries, ect..

peace and light
stu_hig

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been working on it and it's starting to gradually come to me.
Zebula77

shredlord wrote:but remember, violin-players won't bend the strings :D

i think there are some really good players with flat vibratos. like steve morse etc.
Hehe, nope - they don't bend, but they do sound different from guitar players and that's part of what I'm trying to do.

Steve Morse does have a nice, fast vibrato, doesn't he? But I wouldn't call it flat. By flat I mean a note that you don't add vibrato to. And a lot of players do that. And then, some players just have bad vibrato, like Kirk Hammet - his vibrato is just, I dunno, sour sounding. It makes me cringe. I like other aspects of his playing, but his vibrato doesn't make me feel the emotion in his playing, of which I'm sure there is plenty.

I've got this thing that my vibrato sort of subconsciously matches my mood and level of emotion, heh. When I'm relaxed, I've got a slow, calm vibrato, when I'm excited, it might be a little wider and faster, and when I'm really emotional, it tends to be very fast and intense, though not so wide.

I guess I use vibrato a lot, for some I guess - too much. But I just love it. :lol: