MOST OVERLOOKED PRACTICE ISSUES

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
mrfastfingers

hello folks!
What do u think are the most overlooked practice issues?

1. Transcriptions - it trains ur ear and rythm abilites....besides, it gives u the best insight of the player's style that u'll ever get...try 'em :)

2. Ear training - I don think someone's ever told me that they actually practice this...but why da fuck? It's bloody important!!

3. Chords & Strumming - Another important and overlooked issue. Probably because the only effective way to practice this is to actually learn a rythm track and play it over and over - not like with scales, cause with em u can play a zillion different things and u'd still be practising them.

4. Dynamics - OMG! Honestly, raise ur hand if u practice this stuff....ok, ok im kidding, i noe you do, but i also noe that there's more ppl that dont than ppl that do.

What do u think?
musicslave

How about using a metronome?
Learning other intruments on guitar (piano, violin, etc.)
Learning vocal lines :wink:
smj

facial contortions, picking with teeth, behind the back playing...learning to play with your guitar set ablaze

It's not what you play anymore...it's how you look doing it...:D

Sean Meredith-Jones
mrfastfingers

did u really mean dat?? "Is not what u play, is how u look while playing it"......Eric Clapton would stand stiff as a board when soloing with cream and still he'd make girls have an orgasm!!
Big Bad Bill

I have to agree with the strumming/dynamics point. I'm trying to practice this now for some guitar examinations and I'm finding it really hard!
mrfastfingers

I have one...accoustic guitar :) how about it? It's pretty overlooked i think, but it's a must....when a lotta ppl get together theres a huge chance that there's gonna be an accoustic, chicks dig, and a whole lot other things dat juss dun come to muh mind rite now
Christophar

how exactly do you practice transcribing?
Willie

I hope that you guys don't mind me saying, but I've only been playing for just over a year and I know very little bout things like reading music or how to practice certain things like dynamics, or any of that stuff, I have learned, solely by listening to CD's and listening as I was playing and the only thing that I have needed to lookk up so far is chords and a little bit about 2 handed tapping. :)

The one thing I learned most when I started playing and it's always an important thing, not only should you know to listen to the music around you to play along it it, but you also need to learn how to feel the music and to play with real feeling is the biggest key to being able to know of things like daynamics :)

I know that I have alot to learn yet, but in the year that I have been playing, (which has been on and off and I don't practice as much as I should) I have learned good strumming, flat picking, finger picking, some tapping, using a slide and playing riffs and the odd 1 or 2 runs :), but I learned this, not from going to a music school or anything, I learned this from playing mostly Delta and Chicago Blues and some Rock, but I am more into Rock and Instrumental guitar as well as The Blues :)

I currently have a Les Paul and a 12 string accoustic, which I currently play as a 6 string and it's amazing what you can learn, just by listening and remembering :)

I don't know if this helps at all, but I thought that it might help you guys get a bit more insight on the subject :), but I do agree that no mater how good a guitarist is, you should definitely practice somethings, even the most basic, I know that I should start practicing and I will once I ditch the Les Paul for a 7 string :), but finding a lefty 7 string is a major pain to say the least :) lol

Anyways, I hope this helped in some way :)

Later cats 8)

Willie
mrfastfingers

Transcribing juss means learning songs by ear...only that u not only learn them, u actually write it down. This means that u hear a song, write down the notes in their correct timing, tempo, time signature etc...
Its cool, rite now im transcribing salamanders in the sun :)
MR4Y

Without MUSICAL THEORY and RHYTM TECHNIQUE all these stuff are really CRAP. :mrgreen:
Roger

Tone and timing. If you don't have that it doesn't mean shit if you know all the scales, notes, techniques and chords in the world.
Willie

Roger wrote:Tone and timing. If you don't have that it doesn't mean shit if you know all the scales, notes, techniques and chords in the world.
I agree 99.9%, but sometimes it's best to have your own tones because even though you are trying to achieve a goal by being able to play a song or solo the same as the guitartist did, but when it comes to music, it's all about what your own style and tones, as well as being able to match another person's, as a musician, you gotta make it your own cos it's all about personal expression.

Other than that, I agree totaly, cos you need a good, but clear tone as well as good timing and if you ain't got them, you're just not at the finish line yet :)

Anyway take care guys and I'll breeze on back soon :)

Later 8)
Abhishek

The most overlooked part of practicing music is LISTENING to music.....you may not have relative pitch or grade 100 reading skills but broadening your musical visions is the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT TO ANY ASPIRING MUSICIAN!!!!
Trononguitar

as far as practice no-no. most important is dont cheat yourself while practicing, play everything with a clean tone,..no fx ..that includes distortion . strive fo rcorrect tempo/form /fingering/and clarity., (i wish i had)

i think too many peolpe get caught up in trying to sound like someone else, and then spend 2-10 hrs a day for a year just to play 1 peice like "crossroads duel"...or" cannon in d"...or match "rusty" in n.p.m. well.
i admire the dedication but its time wasted that could you be developing a voice and style of your own.

as far as other things, i dont think people listen to enough diffrerent styles of music and other insturments for ideas and influence.

great things to practice with are, put on the radio and play to a orchestra or chamber music, try to fit in, try to play the different roles of the insturments. follow the melody and improvise,
it great for ear training and fretboard familiararity,
i also like to try to copy jazz horn players and there roles in the music.
any insturment is inturpretable in style on guitar, incorporate this into you practice routine and i guarentee you will see huge improvment in all areas of your playing. its fun and edgimakational ...m-kay.
Willie

I agree with that also, Although about 80% of what I have learned has been from Delta Blues, I have also jammed to Jazz, Ragtime, Country, Metal, Rock and a slight touch of Classical and as you say, it gives you a broaderview on music gives you a beter chance to be more creatively independant :) * I can't believe I said that without a typo :lol:*

Although I only have a Roland 2W Cube amp, The tones that I would most are 'JC Clean and Black Panel', they are a clean and quiet tone and sound great when using full echo and also sound very similar to the tone that Steve Uses on 'Amazing Grace' from the Ellusive Light & Sound' album.

Saying that, I think that generaly alot of guitarists that practice a song to try and be able to play it note for note, lick for lick, is something that alot of guitarists use not only as an achievement target, but also as a test for themselves to try and pass :)

It's like I had said before in a previous post, whatever music you play, you gotta make it your own music instead of playing someone else's music because the inspiration is there for ALL guitarists, but the inspiration is for you to try and use it to create something for yourself that can be equally as great :), you just gotta try :)

Anyway, no matter wha, I personally believe that every guitarist is different and have different views and as long as the individula is happy to try and achieve what it is that he or she wishes to achieve as a musician and an artist, then that is what is most important :)

Peace Everyone :peace

Later 8)