Timing and Rythem

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
The Prez

I usually try to practice along with a cd, this is better than a metrome I think because of tempo changes. I use the Pandora PX4 to slow the tempo for some songs, but for some solos, even 50 percent of the temp is not enough. Also, it does not change pitch with this. Any suggestions on anyone's own methods.
Matt

Try to practice the parts u considerate hard very slowly with a metronome. Then increase the speed.
Oliver_Reed

Couldn`t agree more.

Except to use a spellchecker - it`s spelt "rhythm" not "rythem"

Ollie.
Reaper

Recording... it wasn't until I started this that I realized how bad my timing was. Sure, I can play along to a metronome, play with a CD, but when the recordings came out sounding like crap, none of that matters...

BTW, I'd take a metronome over a CD anyday. A metronome doesn't allow for the person to lose themself in the noise of the song. I can play Paradigm Shift with a CD (more or less), but take away that CD and put a metronome in front of me... I'm screwed to the wall. I have to drop to about 2/3 tempo just to get the notes.
Junebughunter

The only difference between playing with metronome and a CD is a CD will hide your screw ups better, And metronomes can have time changes too
Last edited by Junebughunter on Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

I practice both ways. With the metronome to get the parts down, and improve them. And then with the CD just to make sure that I have the right "feel" of the song. Sometimes you can't tell that you're playing something slightly off until you play with the song. Of course, you have to be able to hear yourself too though.