pinch harmonic

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
jemshredder1283

pinch harmonic

#1 Post by jemshredder1283 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:15 am

I'm sure this topic has been posted before, but yeah, i'm having quite the difficulty getting this technique down. for all I know I could be attempting it with the wrong position with the pick/thumb. Anyone have any good ways of practicing/learning it?

Eutow

#2 Post by Eutow » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:16 am

I got my pinch harmonics more after just a long time of attacking the damn thing. Not just like that, but continous days of practice, theres really not that much to them.

Except, if you really want to get technical, then you would want to attack the string at a certain mathematical point to create a certain amount of harmonic(ness?).

Other than that, Its just about keep trying, I got it after a while like that. Also I noticed that smaller picks(since its closer to the skin/finger) have a higher tendency to help you produce your pinch harmonic, but after a while you should be able to do it with anything.

Pom-Bear

#3 Post by Pom-Bear » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:48 am

Hi ive been in possession of a Geunine Jem 7V for some time but havnt played it

i recently got it set up and started palying it a lot but the thing that baffles me is that why is it a lot harder to do any pinch harmonic on My Jem Compared to my other guitars?

my other guitars r a RG350 and RG1620X and i find it a lot easier to deliver pinch harmonics on them and they even last longer

compared to my jem its harder to do any pinch harmonic and any that i do are often weak..

any ideas to whats causing it

NatiFable

#4 Post by NatiFable » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:31 am

Oh man, pinch harmonics were the first thing I could do on the guitar and it was by accident! haha I thought I'd invented it! haha

Use a light guage pick, it seems to help with learning the technique. You need to choke up on the pick's point. So only a little is showing and then strike the string and then angle your thumb so it quickly catches but doesn't kill the note. It's a really smooth transition move. One of the easiest ways is the old 3rd string, 2nd fret A note with the left hand and find a spot near the bridge pickup to strike the note. You'll find there are a ton of different harmonics that WILL ring out for you!

As far as the Jem 7VWH comments-I had to go to a extra heavy pick when I bought the guitar. It puzzled me. I also could not get any tone or 'Feel' from my picking hand until I went to an extra heavy pick for that guitar. I have played mediums since my beginnings-decades ago and I loved the feel of the mediums in my hand <I also own thousands of custom print and custom print glow in the dark medium picks I will probably never use again :( >

Try changing to a pick that is a little heavier than the one you use on the Jem. If you're already using an extra heavy pick, I would go one guage or so lighter.

peace and light

Pom-Bear

#5 Post by Pom-Bear » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:39 am

well the thing that puzzles me is that ive always used heavy pelctrums and always found pinching easy and all my guitars r set to 9s as i like the feel of them

well.. im currently trying to learn satch boogie i kno basically all of it just cant get the Pinch Harmonics to sounds 100% perfect on my 1620X (H-H setup) ive also found its harder to pinch on H-H setups comapred to H-S-H since the single coild must make the pinch harmonic sweet spots larger

ebrown

#6 Post by ebrown » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:33 am

i found it easier to get pinched harmonics on the top three strings(G, B, E), and i couldn't get pinched harmonics on the bottom three(E, A, D). i can now get pinched harmonics on all strings after a few days of working at it. On the bottom strings i have to attack them harder to get them to become pinched harmonics, if you you dig your pick into the string and let it kinda slap back onto your thumb it sings really well. when i try on the top three strings i have to play softer and find the sweet spot where it will become a harmonic. i recently used some 11s and found that it was a lot harder to get the bottom E to become a harmonic. its hard to explain how to get them but if you practice it a bit you'll get it pretty easy, moving your picking hand up and down the string helped me figure out where the sweet spots where and how to attack the string. its all up to how you experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

beyondthenotes712

#7 Post by beyondthenotes712 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:19 am

Pinch harmonics aren't some hit and miss type thing. Imagine your fretboard continuing on over up to your bridge, then fret a note and find where the natural harmonics would occur regularly, and try to pinch some an "octave" or a "fifth" up. You should be able to do it on both up and down strokes. Practice it all over the fretboard, experiment a little, and have fun!

guyzif

#8 Post by guyzif » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:16 am

Rhe previous posters have got the tecnique down perfectly. I personally would suggest 0.96mm picks as they work brilliantly for me. They have the right amount of attck but also enough flexibility for speed too.

Pinched harminics are a major part of my playing style, so thats what i recommend.

Zebula77

#9 Post by Zebula77 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:29 am

I've got a technique of doing pinch harmonics that is similar to what Eric Johnson does. I hold the pick between my thumb and middle finger (which is actually how I hold it anyways. Kinda like Eddie Van Halen) and I place my index finger right over where the harmonic is and kinda 'pluck' it. I find I get more accurate and clean sounding harmonics that way.

guyzif

#10 Post by guyzif » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:57 am

Thats an interesting way of doing it.

beyondthenotes712

#11 Post by beyondthenotes712 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:41 am

Zebula77 wrote:I've got a technique of doing pinch harmonics that is similar to what Eric Johnson does. I hold the pick between my thumb and middle finger (which is actually how I hold it anyways. Kinda like Eddie Van Halen) and I place my index finger right over where the harmonic is and kinda 'pluck' it. I find I get more accurate and clean sounding harmonics that way.
This is not necessarily a "pinch" harmonic, but it is one of the best ways to comand harmonics from your guitar. It is definitely much cleaner, and if you practice it enough you can perform little arppegiated flurries of harmonics. Another technique is tap harmonics, which involves fretting a note and then tapping the harmonic lightly with your right hand. You can even do this for whole chords! Harmonics are a very unique thing about guitar and there are a myriad of ways to produce them, both conventional and unconventional (e.g. using your tongue :D), so experiment and have fun!

MR4Y

#12 Post by MR4Y » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:29 am

when you do the PH (pinch harmonic) on the 12th fret with the open string, it's an octave pinch harmonic, and it works because you're matematically splitting the string in two. when you do the same PH on the 5th fret you're splitting the string into four parts. probably you have to split equal when you hit a string. when you hit the 12th or the 241th fret you produce an 8th PH, when you hit the 5th fret or the 15th fret, you produce a 5th PH (dunno)

guyzif

#13 Post by guyzif » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:35 am

MR4Y wrote:when you do the PH (pinch harmonic) on the 12th fret with the open string, it's an octave pinch harmonic, and it works because you're matematically splitting the string in two. when you do the same PH on the 5th fret you're splitting the string into four parts. probably you have to split equal when you hit a string. when you hit the 12th or the 241th fret you produce an 8th PH, when you hit the 5th fret or the 15th fret, you produce a 5th PH (dunno)
This is only part true i think. When you hit the string, all the harmonincs are produced similtaneously crating lots of sinusoidal waves increasing by 1/2 wavelength each time.

When you are hitting a pinched harmonic you are basically creating a smaller standing wave on the string and cutting all the other frequeccies produced when you play normally.

shredlord

#14 Post by shredlord » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:20 pm

to get the correct terms:

-if you hit the open string and you produce a harmonic by putting your finger over the frets (like 7th, 5th, 4th, 3.2nd, 3rd etc.) it's called:

natural harmonic

-if you produce a harmonic by hitting the string both with your pick and the edge of your thumb, it's called:

pinch harmonic

-if you hold down, for example, a-string, 5th fret, and then tap the octave, like 17th fret (quick, by just hitting it shortly), it's called:

tap harmonic

-if you do the thing with you index touching the string and plucking it at the same time, like eric johnson does, it's called:

harp harmonic

kay, just wanted to mention that.

guyzif

#15 Post by guyzif » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks for the individual definitions dude.