We want a Steve Vai´s Instructional Video ASAP !!!!!!!!

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Backfromdead

Hi mates,

Just wonder why there isn´t a Steve Vai´s Instructional Video around yet?? It will be the best way to see in depth Steve´s Techniques & Playing Style...
Rumors said that in the past there was one available (1980´s); anyway I think that it will be a GREAT contribution to the music community if Steve release one ASAP (..or more than one :D ).

...BTW; I think that Ruta will agree with me too ( ´couse lots of Steve´s followers will die for the opportunity to buy it ) .

Mike, thanks in advance for your feedback about this post!

PS: Please be honest guys; aren´t you interested in a SV Instructional Video? Many great Guitars players have already released their own, and IMPE (in my personal experience) I can tell ya´that these videos have made a lot for my playing.

Please join this "wish chain" by posting your oppinion about this request, and please cast your vote in the poll above this message!!

THANKS!
Grandor

I want to see a sv instructional video out too.
or a whole series or ten.... lol 8)
Nick.

Joe Satriani said the best instructional video is a live show.

and this is true..watch them in action..and play along to it..simple..it improves your hearing...and playing too.

and theres a live Vai dvd coming soon as well... :wink: :)
Oliver_Reed

Oh no we don't!!!

What does an instructional video give you? - I'll tell you what - techinque and only technique, thats what. How I played this riff really fast - how a melodic minor sounds if you play it at this speed etc. etc.

What we love about Steve is his creativity, his invention, his flair. Can you teach that in a video? - no, I don`t think so.

If Joe Satriani said that the best instructional video is a live show then I agree with him. Go to his show. Be inspired.

There is no tutrotial you can take to make you great.

Ollie.
Backfromdead

Dear Oliver_Reed,

Oh YES we DO !! :)
What does an instructional video give you? - I'll tell you what - techinque and only technique, thats what. How I played this riff really fast - how a melodic minor sounds if you play it at this speed etc. etc.
You´re right pal ...exactly what I look for in an instructional video....

Yeah, I love Steve´s creativity, his invention and his flair too, and I support Joe´s opinion about a live show, but there are several limitations on this method:

* did you bought G3´s Video? (where you can see when it comes any of the best SV lick, the camera director punch on the drums player and you´re not able to see it happens, etc. etc??)

* I have all Paul Gilbert & Frank gambale´s instructional videos, and everytime that I need to review any of their techniques I just have to put the tape on again (as you can figure out, I can´t ask Satch in the middle of a live concert to replay a portion of his solos :? .....)

OK, a live show is always cool, but anyway WE WANT A STEVE VAI INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO ASAP!!!! 8)

Regards,

Backfromdead

PS1: to buy a virtuoso instructional video don´t make me a great musician (I know it, I know it)...but helps me play a little better my guitars

PS2: I don´t wanna became Steve or Satch.....I´m just an admirer that will love to see closely some of their techniques...that´s all!! :roll:
shader

They should make a G3 DVD for the upcoming tour with multiple camera angles (i'm pretty sure the dVD format allows for this)... and film it at whichever show i'm at (lol)
playnoevil777

I personally would love an instructional video by Steve.I would also really like to see it complete with a walkthru of 2 or 3 of his more popular songs like FTLOG(obviously),Bad Horsie,the head cuttin' duel,etc...I just named my personal favs,but I think most ppl would agree that an FTLOG walkthru would be super cool.Also the formation of some of Steve's more used chords and their name,some technique tips and how to's(i.e. tapping,sweeping,pinch harms),or even instead of whole songs,just some of the more difficult pieces you can't figure out as easy just with tabs,and the song,some visual aid always helps.
Backfromdead

They should make a G3 DVD for the upcoming tour with multiple camera angles (i'm pretty sure the dVD format allows for this)... and film it at whichever show i'm at (lol)
shader, I support your suggestion....LOL :)

I personally would love an instructional video by Steve.I would also really like to see it complete with a walkthru of 2 or 3 of his more popular songs like FTLOG(obviously),Bad Horsie,the head cuttin' duel,etc...I just named my personal favs,but I think most ppl would agree that an FTLOG walkthru would be super cool.Also the formation of some of Steve's more used chords and their name,some technique tips and how to's(i.e. tapping,sweeping,pinch harms),or even instead of whole songs,just some of the more difficult pieces you can't figure out as easy just with tabs,and the song,some visual aid always helps.
playnoevil777, I fully agree with you, pal!
Last edited by Backfromdead on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wintonsmith1984

Oliver_Reed wrote:Oh no we don't!!!

What we love about Steve is his creativity, his invention, his flair. Can you teach that in a video? - no, I don`t think so.

If Joe Satriani said that the best instructional video is a live show then I agree with him. Go to his show. Be inspired.

There is no tutrotial you can take to make you great.

Ollie.
I do agree with you. Couldn't say it better.
the third eye

yes i would like instructing video muchly great!!! :twisted:
atifman

I disagree, Oliver. great technique makes it easier to express yourself and play the music you come up with in your head. If your technique is sloppy or slow, it limits your creativity. you'd come up with something in your head and you'd be like, "oh, i can't play that, it's too fast or hard". see what i mean?
many steve vai songs would be different if it wasn't for his technique: like Principessa without the fast run, the climactic solo in FTLOG, the song Juice, Warm Regards, etc.

on the other hand, if steve does an instructional video, i hope it's not all repeating what he teaches in his Ten Hour workout, 84 mini lessons, and Tempomental. I would be more interested in a lesson on theory, style and songwriting approach, while touching on technique and his difficult peices (especially how he comes up with and plays those tapping runs).
Dan

I think an instructional video would be great.

A live video is great to watch, and you can analyse it to a certain extent, but a classic example is the one mentioned before on these forums: the camera switches to the drummer during the last run at the end of the FTLOG solo, and the drummer's just like hitting straight eights on the kickdrum or something. How could you learn that run, and see the technique he uses for it without even seeing it? Sometimes being able to see what a player is doing makes something click in your head that makes your hands seem to work way better.

Watching a live show teaches you things in a certain kind of way, but the stuff that's put on an instructional video is different. To me, watching a live video "instructs" me on how to play with more passion, or have more fun while playing. I learn new tricks, and how to get better musically to a small extent, and it helps my ear. An instructional video is more geared toward practicing and getting better technically, which is different then these things. It's more based on technique and stuff so you shouldn't buy it if you want to play *musically* like Steve Vai. No video or teacher or anything can do that. You just have to have it in you. However, I think it'll help people to play his songs and get better technically and I would love it if he disected his own songs, etc.

It would be awesome to see how Steve practices, and gets his songs down to the point that he does. I mean, he does ridiculous stuff, like jumping around, holding the guitar in unorthodox positions, etc, while playing ridiculously hard guitar parts, and doesn't mess up. I'd like to see how he practices to get it down to that extent.
Backfromdead

Thanks Dan for your support!! :D :D
A live video is great to watch, and you can analyse it to a certain extent, but a classic example is the one mentioned before on these forums: the camera switches to the drummer during the last run at the end of the FTLOG solo, and the drummer's just like hitting straight eights on the kickdrum or something. How could you learn that run, and see the technique he uses for it without even seeing it?
Well, I´m happy that you agree with the example that I´ve previously posted about trying to learn from a live video......and the camera director switches to the drummer on the best part of the guitar solo... :x

8) 8) 8) WE WANT A SV INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO ASAP!! 8) 8) 8)
Big Bad Bill

I seem to recall Steve did mention he was working on an instructional CD-ROM/DVD quite a few years ago. But he was keen to make it totally different from the usual 'guy-sitting-on-a-stool-ripping-out-riffs-and-licks-with-TAB-at-the-bottom-of-the-screen' type of project(good old Steve)! It became more and more complex, interactive etc and as usual Steve shelved the idea as he needed to get albums out, tour etc. The project was never mentioned again. Steve does put 517% into everything he does and he's a perfectionist so I assume he felt he couldn't devout the time it rightly deserves.

So I assume there is some material in Steve's Mothership that will one day make in onto an instructional DVD-but don't hold your breath.............!
Oliver_Reed

Backfromdead - oh lordy!, it`s brainsaber again, isn`t it?

I can tell by the numerous quotes in the replies and over-use of emoticons.

How have you been?

Ollie.