Any advice on what Vai song to try to learn? (info inside)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
AlwayswithmeAlwayswithyou
Newcomer

I've been playing for about two years, and I'd like to try learning a Vai song. I've learned some simpler Satch stuff (AWMAWY comes to mind) and stuff like Jeff Beck's "Cause We've Ended as Lovers." What song would be the best start for me? Thanks.
Deyo

Liberty might be good for a start. Answers solo might help you also. Sisters too. .. it really depends on your skills after two years.
ernzzz

liberty or warm regards is a good try... sisters its more complex (mentally), but yeah maybe at the same technical level...
Deyo

ernzzz wrote:liberty or warm regards is a good try... sisters its more complex (mentally), but yeah maybe at the same technical level...

warm regards ? that one has some pretty nasty fretwork, i am not sure :?
ernzzz

yeah it has some tricky sweeps, the tapping is easier maybe... its not super easy.. but big part of the tune its just a melody.. so i dunno, i remember it encouraged me to take that little parts and use em as excercises..
yet i looked at it when i played for 4 years or so.. at 2 i was looking more for fingerpicked things like stairway to heaven, nothing elsematters, or just improvising blues over Vaughan..
mi2tom

for the love of god it started slow with "feel" then towards the end "techniques"
Rakuku

Hand on Heart?

The first Vai song I ever learned was Tender Surrender. I wasn't at all good technically, but I had heard the song and it raised hairs on the back of my neck. I learnt a good 3/4's of it... Never picked it back up though. Sooner or later.

When it comes down to it, you can learn any Vai song you want; it just takes devotion.
HiddenDedication

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Die to live.
I've also just been playing for only 2 years and my guitar doesn't even have a whammy so good luck playing Vai... But die to live is fairly easy to pick up I think. Maybe also The blood and tears?... Not the most difficult solo he's made.

Now I'm a sad, frustrated and horrible tapper for various reasons but if you're somewhat into it I believe there are a few others as well.
lydian7

Die to Live :wink:
jemshredder1283

ive just been starting to learn vai songs, and the first song i learned the whole thing of is bangkok. ive been playing for a little over a year, so im sure it wont be hard for you to learn that song. its a little tricky but its pretty fun. i also learned the 1st part of fire garden suite. thats really easy to learn, bummer is that its only like am inute of the song, haha. liberty would probably be a good choice. giant balls of gold is pretty easy too (or most of it is).
IbanezFreak666

Juice!!!
ernzzz

c'mon... FTLOG, Hand on Heart and Juices are waaaaay too hard for a 2 years player... :roll:

i agree with Rakuku, it just needs devotion.. but to a certain point.. i learned weeks ago the FTLOG solo part, i played guitar for 7 years.. and i just cant play it at correct speed...

Hand on Heart is the last song i learned before.. and actually was very hard to figure the rithm on the tapping and so... and the same goes to Juices.. its really hard to match this groove, and nail all the harmonics.. and whithout this, Juices is not Juices..

its like if i say now "windows to the soul"... yeah if u closed me in a vault for 10 years, before i ever played guitar, with a tab and disc, i could figure it... or just go mad... :twisted: :D

its good to push ourselves.. but to a point... :P
Hobophobic

ernzzz wrote:c'mon... FTLOG, Hand on Heart and Juices are waaaaay too hard for a 2 years player... :roll:
That's a pretty bold statement. It assumes everybody progresses at the same rate and has the same discipline and desire to learn which is obviously not true.
ernzzz

brain haves a limit of plasticity... of course i'm not telling everybody progresses at same level... but unless u're a total genious, or a total borderline, will be similar...

if u take a 10 year experience pianist, and make him learn guitar, will be so fast.. but a 2 years old player (and nothing more) young person (...) will not understand things like the tapping on Hand on Heart (mainly rithmically), or put the right accent and feel (or even understand) on Juice, or figure the fastest FTLOG solo parts.. and better i dont talk about the technique needed...
{TKG}MALICE

ernzzz wrote:c'mon... FTLOG, Hand on Heart and Juices are waaaaay too hard for a 2 years player... :roll:
P
psh... i learned for the love of god already and i had only been playing for like a year... so dont say its waaay to hard for ppl who have been playing for 2 years... its not really that hard... just take it slow and as it was said b4 devotion is the key