Jazz Fusion

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
mesavox

#46 Post by mesavox » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:17 pm

lydian7 wrote:
Flemenco guitar isn't that hard. Just learn to harmonise the phrygian dominant scale and alternate pick at a rapid speed up and down the scale. Obviously there's more to it than that, and the nuances of the style are as intricate as any other, but it's not as difficult as it may first appear.
I can't believe I just read that. I missed it the first time through, but... wow. I now feel there is probably no way of talking to you about this. Think what you will, and I'll keep on enjoying the aparently useless simple 12 bar blues based jazz that is EVERY STINKING WHERE. LOL :D

You've definately made some of the wildest comments I've seen in a while. LOL

MatJB

#47 Post by MatJB » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:52 am

Lydian 7 has a point.

mesavox

#48 Post by mesavox » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:13 pm

MatJB wrote:Lydian 7 has a point.
About what? Care to elaborate? He said a whole bunch of stuff. LOL

cho_888

#49 Post by cho_888 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:44 am

Guys if your looking into Jazz Fussion you must check out Brett Garsed
http://www.brettgarsed.com
He is one of the worlds best, do your self a favor and listen to him

redmancba
Newcomer

#50 Post by redmancba » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:01 pm

I want to get into jazz as well, and I was wondering if, for a teacher, a piano player would be a good investment. I know a kid who is incredible at the piano and he is very humble and down to earth who I think would be willing to teach me some stuff. Would it be as beneficial as a jazz guitar teacher? I really want to get into jazz and learn from a real player instead of a book like smj said. Thanks for the time. Oh and smj, I listened to some stuff on your website and I love it. I hope to someday be able to play like that.
Thanks again,
Conor.

ernzzz

#51 Post by ernzzz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:41 pm

well piano and guitar are different instruments.. what comes good for one will not per se come good for the other... for example raise half tone a chord in a piano, requires re-thinkin all finguers.. in guitar (and more in jazz with its standart chord patterns..) just need to move ur hand up a fret.. (and thats were the scale shapes enter too).. so a pianist will focus things differently.. (imo)

in this sense a pianist could not teach u the more optimal way to look at things.. maybe will be more able to teach u how music theory works, and then u grab your books, and transpose the idea on guitar (wich is not bad!) .. but definately, anything u can learn comes handy.. be to adapt it at ur own way, or just for guidance or curiosity.. anyway if u can, take both! the pianist and the jazz guitarist hehe

redmancba
Newcomer

#52 Post by redmancba » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply ernzzz. I figured it would be better to be taught by a guitar teacher, but I definately still want to get together with this kid and at least jam (he is only 16, maybe 17, and has two cd's out, and goes to college for music.) I could upload a song if no-one minds, but I understand if it is frowned upon. Does anyone perchance know a good guitar teacher in South Florida?

mesavox

#53 Post by mesavox » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:16 am

If a piano player is the only person who really knows jazz to teach it to you, by all means jump at it. My exposure to jazz has been from a trumpet player playing the piano in class. You might need a good chord book, but as mentioned, it won't hurt to have to do a little theory leg work.

smj

#54 Post by smj » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:53 am

I recall that Joe Satriani studied with jazz pianist Lenny Tristano....seemed to work out alright for him...lol.

Sean Meredith-Jones