8th Strings

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
di
Newcomer

If you watch the G3 Live you'll see that both Joe and Vai are using 7 strings guitar. Have you tried to over-take them with 8 strings? By adding 2 more strings? Learn how focusing on Bass with Joe and learn how to expertise in treble with Vai. Enjoy your journey.
Also, ask the Ibanez vendor get you for 8 strings. :)
Di
b2

There are alot of custom guitars with all kind of numbers of strings.
E.g a well known Norwegian jazz guitar player Terje Rypdal have used for many years a custom Fender Stratocaster with
8 strings. I am not shure if he is still using it.
stu_hig

Rusty Cooley is the only person I know of who has an 8 string. I'm sure there are loads more people who play them though.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

stu_hig wrote:Rusty Cooley is the only person I know of who has an 8 string. I'm sure there are loads more people who play them though.
And let's not forget the amazing Fredrik Thordendal and Marten Hagstrom from Meshuggah.

Mikey
vai.com
wolfv11
Newcomer

Conklin guitars also makes 9 strings
1118916GB

Here's a funny quote that a 8 string tab said

"7 Strings are for pussies".

That is funny as hell although I have a hard time imagining how horrible that sounds. What the hell does it sound like? I could hear some dissonance in G so imagine F with a Bass. Who needs a guitar? Might as well be in a band playing with 2 bass guitars. That is so low.
stu_hig

1118916GB wrote:Here's a funny quote that a 8 string tab said

"7 Strings are for pussies".

That is funny as hell although I have a hard time imagining how horrible that sounds. What the hell does it sound like? I could hear some dissonance in G so imagine F with a Bass. Who needs a guitar? Might as well be in a band playing with 2 bass guitars. That is so low.
I think 8-strings have another bass string and another treble string not, not 2 bass strings (if thats what you were trying to say). :)
1118916GB

not Meshuggah. they drop tune their guitars by a diminished 5th interval. F-Bb-Eb-Ab and so on. on a regular guitar it would be drop tuned a major 7th interval.
ElectricG

Meshuggah play good music in my opinion.
Tiger

Here in Portugal there's a guy called Gonçalo Pereira who has been playing with a 11-string for quite sometime. And lets not forget Pat Metheny's 42-string beauty.

It doesn't really matter how many strings you're playing. For example, there's another guy here in Portugal called Tuniko Goulart who is a master schedder in a 4-string cavaquinho (a portuguese kind of manolin) besides being one of the very best electric guitar players I've ever seen in my life.
1118916GB

no 42 strings???? no way. u are lying. what is the tuning. Why 42 strings. u mean a harP i"d have to see it to believe it.
Tiger

1118916GB wrote:no 42 strings???? no way. u are lying. what is the tuning. Why 42 strings. u mean a harP i"d have to see it to believe it.
Ironically you're not far from the truth. It's a 4-neck-harp-guitar built by Canadian luthier Linda Manzer on Pat's request. The overall string tension nears 1000lbs (aprox. 500kg).

I apologize for the low quality pick but I couldn't find a better one. I think this has been discussed before in another topic so maybe you should try a search. By the way, she's called Pikasso guitar.

About PRS Gonçalo Pereira's 11-string, you can check them out here.

Have fun! :)
cockoo
Newcomer

If i could even begin to comprehand how to play that i would love one
Tiger

cockoo wrote:If i could even begin to comprehand how to play that i would love one
Actually, at Metheny's official website, he describes how it took him several years to figure out how to tune the guitar and then play it accurately. :lol:
barhouston

Here are a couple o' vids of Rusty Cooley with that 8-string. And yeah, it's got a low B and a high A besides the usual six.

http://rustycooley.com/videos/RustySolo8-1.wmv
http://rustycooley.com/videos/Rusty8jam-1.wmv

These are both from the video section of rustycooley.com if you want more.