women can't shred

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

Women can't play guitar

Yea
8%
Yea
8%
Yea
8%
Yea
8%
No
17%
No
17%
No
17%
No
17%

Total votes: 404
Ricardo

Here is a young hot chick who tears up the fingerboard. Click "music" and check out Partita in E major, that is the one that Becker struggled with in his video. I am sure Yngwie dreams about being able to play more than 4 bars of this one, but she tears through it like it is "Mary had a little Lamb".

Then check out the Kennedy Center Video, fast forward to 12:53 for some more Bach arpeggio craziness.

Then check out her photos.

http://www.anavidovic.com/opening.html

Ricardo
NatiFable

Ricardo-Ana is amazing-I had fun listening to her sound clips here at work.

I don't really know of any 'female shredders'. I honestly don't believe woman are interested in being shredders. I know of a ton of female guitarist, but not many shedders.

Women seem to play from their hearts and souls more than guys-and that's the truth as far as I believe. I wouldn't even call Jennifer Batten a shredder-she plays fantastic musical pieces. They are well thought out and played beautifully-"Flight of a Bumble Bee" amazing! Leni Stern plays some gorgeous multi-layered pieces with a JamMan or something. Ani DiFranco plays absolute beautiful 'in your face' guitar-very melodic, very percussive, gorgeous fat tone. Sharon Isbin is a monster musician. Bonnie Raitt is a great tasteful slide player. I could go on and on with woman guitarists...I'm talking woman that actually 'play' and don't just 'wear' a guitar-Alanis, Shakira, Avril, ect.

I honestly feel that woman exemplify 'musicianship' in guitar rather than the ever male idea of 'shredder' type playing. In the end I'd rather hear Ani or Bonnie sing a song with solid playing backing up their music than some person that just turns it to 200 m.p.h. and let's it fly! haha

But all in all, I know there are 'shredders' that are woman but like most 'male-dominated' fields, these very capable woman guitarist probably have to work twice as hard to garner any respect or notice in the industry. Jennifer Batten mentioned in an interview that Will Lee from David Letterman's band asked her if she 'air-guitared' the solo to 'Beat It' when she played with Michael Jackson in NY. She considered it a backhanded compliment-like a girl couldn't play an EVH solo, but she did it so well that someone would assume it was a recording. haha

peace and light
mesavox

The girls in Phantom Blue shredded quite a bit in that vain...

Honestly, I don't even consider Vai a shredder. Compared to Yngwie, Angelo, etc. Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Johnson, Pitrelli... none of them are shredders yet all of them are immensly more interesting to listen to for long periods of time. The Yngwies are great for a period and then it's like, Ok I need something else. Vai, Pitrelli, Skolnik, Petrucci... all those guys give you so much more including shredding from time to time. In that sense, Batten is every bit a shredder. Of all the above part time shredders Petrucci is the fastest and has the most tendency to check into an all out shred mode but even for him it's maybe 10% of the time.

I don't know why I can't think of any other names... I just know I've ran accross some killer women guitarist's webpages over the years. Rena Petrucci (Rena Sands before she married John) is a pretty monsterous player as well.
shredlord

i wouldn't say girls can't shred. but there's a problem...
because of that, women won't even try to kick their male shredders out of business...

the lack of the wonderful...

MEGALOMANIA
Henrique Henriques

Gtdork wrote:
alienillusions wrote:OMG, is anybody gonna make a post without mentioning Jennifer Batten?Is that the only female shredder young aspiring women can look up to?! :roll:
This is a link to a site of this chick I've met on the internet. She is Brazilian, she's a guitarist, lives in L.A. I originaly posted a picture of her in the Hot Babe of the day thread, and SHE surely CAN Shredd. So here it is! :wink:
Have fun!!
bump.
Tris

She's pretty hot, i'd give her the hammer. She's a classical guitarist, J. Becker wasn't. There is a difference.
mi2tom

the great kat
nosferatu777

I know there are women who can shred. I don't think it is wrong, however, it seems weird. I'm not used to hearing a flurry of notes from a female guitarist. I prefer listening to a woman who can play an acoustic and sings really good.
Joey S
Newcomer

Check out Katrina Johansson. She is on Michael Angelo's label. She can shred and is melodic. And hot.
www.katrinajohansson.com

What about Heart?
OU812Manny

Sorry, but that isn't the right link to see Katrina Johannson's site. This is it- http://www.katrinaguitar.com/
Joey S
Newcomer

You are right: www.katrinaguitar.com

Trying to recover from New Year's Eve.
j3

Ricardo wrote:Here is a young hot chick who tears up the fingerboard. Click "music" and check out Partita in E major, that is the one that Becker struggled with in his video. I am sure Yngwie dreams about being able to play more than 4 bars of this one, but she tears through it like it is "Mary had a little Lamb".

Then check out the Kennedy Center Video, fast forward to 12:53 for some more Bach arpeggio craziness.

Then check out her photos.

http://www.anavidovic.com/opening.html

Ricardo
I got into this fray too late to be the first to mention Ana Vidovic, who can probably play that Partita faster than anyone I've ever heard, but it does bring up the topic of shredding women classical guitarists. Though the topic in genenral strikes me as BS, it does give us the opportunity to mention/turn some others onto some of the great women guitarists of whom I'll just mention a few here: Badi Assad, Sharon Isbin, Ida Presti (RIP), Antigoni Goni, and this new player I just discovered- Xuefei Yang. If there's anyone on this board who could 'shred' anyone of these guitarists, I'd be suprised. I think I remember watching (Antigone Goni) practicing her scale sequences in 16th notes at 208BPM --without a pick, of course. And she was just warming up.
So to put an end to the argument, I don't think there's any gender-related limitations to guitar speed, energy, perseverence, soul, ....anything. The fact that there are more men guitar players and more men with competitive attitudes toward music will ensure that there will be more men shredders until the composite of competitive guitar players shift towards women, but it's not as if there's a rational argument for the concept that being a female is an impediment to developing virtuosity.
{TKG}MALICE

one of the best shredders i know is a girl
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

OU812Manny wrote:Sorry, but that isn't the right link to see Katrina Johannson's site. This is it- http://www.katrinaguitar.com/
Perhaps my favorite female guitar player. She's mad hot too.
Katrina Johansson
Newcomer

Thanks!!!!!! :D

Katrina Johansson