Buckethead's toggle switch button

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
1118916GB

How does buckethead do that? I know it's a button. Anyone know how I could do that to my guitar? I'm sure it's not hard right? And how does Buckethead do that trick with his 3 fingers that sounds computerized and augmented?
cockoo
Newcomer

The video is from the january guitar 1 so i thing the licks will be transcribed. Im not to shure about the kill switch.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

The red button? Not sure what he had done, but the effect is pretty cool. Looks like the pickup toggle switch has been removed too, & plugged. It's probably custom made from the factory, unless he had it worked on after it was manufactured, not sure. Whatever he did, it sounds awesome.
MR4Y

it's a on/off kill switch, an add on that cut the guitar signal at pressing without have to turn off the amp. Jackson make some guitars with this thing oif you ordem from the custom shop. I dunno but EMG have this thing too aty selling. and his guitar have a gain boost switch (on the place that should have a tone pot), you can do this computadorized thing using the neck pickup alone.

EVH used to do the same thing with a LP.

just turn off the volume on one pickup and toggle the pickup swich on and off.
1118916GB

yea but buckethead pushes a button; van halen used the switch to go back and forth

and my guitar is gay cuz it has 2 knobs
treeduck

Buckethead is real master of that switch stuff...
j3

1118916GB wrote:How does buckethead do that? I know it's a button. Anyone know how I could do that to my guitar? I'm sure it's not hard right? And how does Buckethead do that trick with his 3 fingers that sounds computerized and augmented?
That's a spring-loaded circuit interruptor. The positive lead coming from the volume is connected to one side of the circuit and the lead that terminates at the positive of the output jack (tip) is on the other side. When the button is depressed, the spring-loaded side is pushed away from the contact that is connected to the jack. When the button is released, the spring-loaded terminal reconnects to the output terminal. They sell these switches at Radio Shack, Napa Autoparts, and many other sources. Any decent guitar tech could install one for about $25 or less. Buckethead's technique, however, is not so easily acquired.
In some cases, you have to pay for the Les Paul style guitar to be completely rewired to accomodate a single volume control (some techs won't do quick fixes based upon pride associated with creating an optimally functional circuit). I do think it's a more durable and practical installation than a toggle switch for this type of guitar effect, but you lose the extra volume control on a Les Paul-- which can be very effective for blended sounds.