Kirk Hammett

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
barhouston

Yeah, I know. I was on the could-be-a-better-musician side, but still made it clear that I'm a Metallica fan all the way. People get offensive/offended too easily, and suddenly there's no middle ground. Thanks to all you who kept it a real discussion about music.
Last edited by barhouston on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1118916GB

No problem. Fuckin morons who ruin everything piss me off.
barhouston

1118916GB wrote:first off, Santana is a fucking good guitarist. he doesn't shred; he plays with all soul. U disagree then you dont know fucking shit about guitar. you are a pathetic guitarist who doesnt know shit about music. Seriously.
:|
burnt out

What I don't get is...

Aren't there far worse musicians out there to rip on besides:

Santana
Angus Young
Kirk Hammet
Yngwie
Kerry King

?????????
barhouston

Me. :D
1118916GB

Avril Lavigne, Billy Joe Armstrong, pop guitarists, etc
Ricardo

What I don't get is...

That are famous and over rated? No. :lol:

But it does get really old after awhile. You would think the majority of Vai fans would be above it.
Little_Dreamer

burnt out wrote:What I don't get is...

Santana
Angus Young
Kirk Hammet
Yngwie
Kerry King

?????????
Since when are these people bad musicians?
:shock:
What I don't get is this 'play only technical without emotion' thing
it makes no sense to me can somebody please explain it, I would like to know how you can tell that someone plays without emotion...

BTW my Santana Post was IRONIC, he's one of my absolutely favourite musicians!!!
On Carlos' new album Kirk does the Wah-Solo, right?
The solo has some great parts although I don't really like the intro...
Although I hadn't really listened to the solo when I wrote my previous post I still say he does some great soloing on this CD 8) :wink:
But maybe it's just the fact that he plays on an Santana album which makes me think this solo is great :wink:
burnt out

Since when are these people bad musicians?
exatly - they aren't bad musicians - sure other musicians may be more technical but aren't as good of songwriters - while the list of musicians I mentioned are better songwriters and therefore are more well known and have more saying power - both are fine and sometimes they even intermingle and you get great songs and awesome technical playing all in one

I would also argue that songwriting is the better musical skill to have than just being a technique monster.All the chops in the world ain't gonna mean shit if you don't have something to hang them on or some song to showcase them in.But should you strive for one or the other (either songwriting or being a technique monster?) no, you should strive for both in your own music that you want to make and in whatever music you listen to.But sometimes you have to settle for just one or the other.You can't always get both.But it's nice when you do. :wink:
arpeggio_owen

lol ive created some kind of monster ahahha :lol:
Lake of desire

arpeggio_owen wrote:lol ive created some kind of monster ahahha :lol:
OK, I said I wouldn't post to this thread again, but... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bubble

1118916GB wrote:Avril Lavigne, Billy Joe Armstrong, pop guitarists, etc
So wrong about Avril Lavigne - interesting, well played (and performed) songs aimed directly at the pop/punk market. Let Go was out for ages with massive sales!

Wrong about pop gutarists - most of the guys I've met and played with doing that kinda work can smoke most people on the guitar, but are just playing what is required to make a decent living from the instrument.

Gutherie's been on some pop album stuff, and I'm pretty convinced that he'd take on anyone!! someone like hammet..haha, nothing compared to govan.

All I can say is go to a Christina/Kylie/Destiny's child gig and really listen to what the guitarist is doing live........ I guarentee that some of the stuff will impress the crap out of you!

I'm not particulary "pro" pop stuff, but be a little careful who you cite as being able to rip on, cause you may just be suprised!
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

As individuals on their instruments, "pop" guitarists might be very skilled & even come up with some cool riffs, hooks etc..., but a lot of times it's THE SONG itself that's lacking. A lot of these pop songs are just crap, with some decent playing here & there. I'll admit that there's some pop that's creative & well done, but those songs are not the norm & overall, it's all the same old crap being rehashed over & over again, just with a different pretty face or nice booty presenting it.

It's possible to have solid performances in shitty songs. We've all heard virtuosos write shitty songs too. Writing a great song isn't the easiest of things. The bottom line is that it's all about THE SONG. I like to focus in on individual performances in songs too, but as a music lover, I listen to SONGS, always have, always will. If the song sucks, I don't care how great the musicians are; all that tells me is that there's great musicians out there that don't have a clue as to how to write a great SONG. :wink:
IbanezFreak666

kirks solos fit perfectly in with james rythym playng, fast and furious and lots of FOCKING MEHTAL!
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Imo, Metallica have written many great songs, just not many recently. :mrgreen: