Why JEMS are Shite

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

do you think someone playing a Jem live is....

cool.
17%
cool.
17%
cool.
17%
cool.
17%
cool, but trying to be a certain Mr Vai
5%
5%
5%
5%
not cool, play another guitar
3%
3%
3%
3%

Total votes: 388

feratu

#16 Post by feratu » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:28 pm

If you're ripping off Vai, It doesn't matter if you play a Jem or not, the guitar fans are gonna know (and probably know it's a pale imitation). I have a Jem PMC, and I think as long as you have your own ideas and playing style, people are accepting. There is a sort of *whoa* factor associated with the guitar, and people kind of expect that you'll be shredding, so if you play only blues or something that's something to consider. After playing the guitar for 10+ years, I can still say on the whole that its the greatest guitar I've ever played, as well as the coolest looking. To anyone looking for a Jem I'd suggest the early 90's jems and older with the PAF pro pickups. I like these way better than the evolution. Also...there are some deals to be had on pink Jems which tend to fade weirdly, so if you just want the guitar for the playing, and not the looks....

Just cause Kenny Wayne Sheppard plays a Strat, does that mean he's ripping of Stevie Ray Vaughan.....? (OK, bad example :wink: )

hewhoshreds

#17 Post by hewhoshreds » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:03 am

I've only played the Jem555WH and it's incredible, however only two weeks ago I bought myself an Ibanez RG350DX and it plays very similarly to it. What's more, it looks like a cross between a Jem7v and a PGM, with a bit of heroic power metal thrown in...oh yeah!

I'd have to say, I was very keen on saving up for a 7v, but I wouldn't be keen on gigging with it. Granted, it has a great sound and looks incredible but it's not too good for your band's image (If you're in one and depending on your genre...). On the other hand, if you're a private musician, such as a session guitarist or have more than enough money for a jem and can use other guitars live, then it's a great investment.

m0thr4
Newcomer

#18 Post by m0thr4 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:15 am

I would say your words ring true for the vast majority of Jems. I own a Jem7VWH and it's a fantastic guitar, but I would never play it live unless I was in a Steve Vai tribute band or something; and you all know there are simply thousands of drummers and bass guitarists lining up to be in one of those! ;-) For live stuff, I would play either my Strat or my Les Paul Standard.

MR4Y

#19 Post by MR4Y » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:12 am

man. think more of the artwork instrument that you have. this is not any intention to rip off vai. think more of your playing. I know some peoples that have a JEM, know Vai musically and don't play only Vai songs or tributes with the guitar.

Like vai said: "I want a instrument that TRANSCENDS my own name"

toms-ruin

#20 Post by toms-ruin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:47 pm

im only a month or so from bein able to get my jem7vwh, and i cant wait!!

for the last year iv bin playin an rg and for the price i payed its a good instrument.

if people want to take the piss and havve a crack at you while your on stage then they will, wether its cos of the guitar your using (a lot of abuse will somtimes be given for havin a cheap guitar!) or the fact that u just played a face melting solo that the twat in the crowd is jealous of........ if they want to behave like a simple bully let them get on with it!!!! if u take no notice then theyll b the ones looking stupid.

as for people playing jems looking cool, i think that depends on what is being played on it and the attitude and stage presence that it is performed with.

Tobacco Road

#21 Post by Tobacco Road » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:39 pm

If anyone were to show up at a gig with a JEM i would probaly be about the most jealous person in the audience :cry: hahahah

mi2tom

#22 Post by mi2tom » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:18 am

I don't see anything wrong with it

NeeWhan

#23 Post by NeeWhan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:18 am

Jems are neither shite nor great!

Jems are just Jems.

Instruments don't judge...prima donas do! :lol:

Apparent players can make a difference though.

MR4Y

#24 Post by MR4Y » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:23 am

NeeWhan wrote:Jems are neither shite nor great!

Jems are just Jems.

Instruments don't judge...prima donas do! :lol:

Apparent players can make a difference though.
yup! :mrgreen:

PureVa|

#25 Post by PureVa| » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:50 pm

i own a jem77fp and its definately the greatest guitar ever concieved so i say, BUY ONE! i didnt buy a jem because vai plays them, i bought one because its unique looking, sounding, feeling ect...its an extremely high quality instrument so if you have one you better own up to its reputation! :wink:

justfallon
Newcomer

#26 Post by justfallon » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:08 am

PureVa| wrote:i own a jem77fp and its definately the greatest guitar ever concieved so i say, BUY ONE! i didnt buy a jem because vai plays them, i bought one because its unique looking, sounding, feeling ect...its an extremely high quality instrument so if you have one you better own up to its reputation! :wink:
Too right- I brought one because i'd hankered after it since I first saw one back in 1990. It's by far the nicest guitar I've ever played, with the sweetest sound and most addictive neck to be had.. I couldn't give a toss if other guitarists expect me to play like Vai when I'm on stage, who cares what they think? it's me that's up there doing the business, and if they haven't got anything better to do with their lives than to stand around grotty pubs saying 'ooh he thinks he's steve vai with that guitar' then that's their look-out..

MR4Y

#27 Post by MR4Y » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:37 pm

also as I said: think more on the instrument and your playing. instead of how "vai" you are being with a JEM :mrgreen:

pr1nce

#28 Post by pr1nce » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:04 pm

The JEM is a fantastic guitar, at the end of the day who cares what people think of you playing it, as long as you enjoy playing it and you sound good :D.

RG1550GXWB-WM Ltd Edition

#29 Post by RG1550GXWB-WM Ltd Edition » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:56 pm

I've voted "cool" because my guitar teacher has one and IMHO it has the most beautiful sound you can find in a guitar!

chris_lpp

#30 Post by chris_lpp » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:37 pm

Nikkoe wrote:Ahah, then buy a really crappy guitar, do your stuff and get reknown, than make up your own brand of guitar. That's if you wanna be you.

Or else, who cares what other people say? You know who you are and what you do.
get really good.....get a shitty lookin guitar decent playability, let them slag you then make like Eugene then just walk off stagge (or moon them first)