Why JEMS are Shite

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

do you think someone playing a Jem live is....

cool.
66
17%
cool.
66
17%
cool.
66
17%
cool.
66
17%
cool, but trying to be a certain Mr Vai
18
5%
cool, but trying to be a certain Mr Vai
18
5%
cool, but trying to be a certain Mr Vai
18
5%
cool, but trying to be a certain Mr Vai
18
5%
not cool, play another guitar
13
3%
not cool, play another guitar
13
3%
not cool, play another guitar
13
3%
not cool, play another guitar
13
3%
 
Total votes: 388

Message
Author
User avatar
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher
Member
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:59 am
Location: Bucketheadland

#31 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:03 am

Play whatever kind of guitar you want & don't worry about what those other people think or say, just be yourself, give them something beautiful to remember you by & have fun while you're at it! :mrgreen:

Ant711UK
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:56 am
Location: UK
Contact:

#32 Post by Ant711UK » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:50 am

I used to worry about things like this but I have the lot now. A Jem, Legacy, Pedals etc. I use them all and I love it. Non muso audiences don't even know what it means for a guitarist to be standing there playing a Jem. It's just a guitar with a 'funny little handle thing' to them. The people who take the piss are usually other guitarists anyway and I've been playing too long to care about what any of them think these days. I'm happy being a Vai wannabe!

Tony

fyrie
Member
Member
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:31 am
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

#33 Post by fyrie » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:26 pm

I played a gig last night with my Jem7VSBL and Legacy. I got lots of comments on how cool my guitar was, and not a single Vai reference. I guess that just proves that Jems are slick-looking mofos.

Gastric Sumo
Member
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:22 am
Location: Cali4nia

#34 Post by Gastric Sumo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:53 am

Arrgh! He's got one of those Jems. I've always wanted one but they are way to expensive. I can't afford one so he must be some kind of show off or something. Look it even has GOLD on it just like Steve Vai's. I bet he even thinks he can play like Steve Vai or something. He's probably just a spoiled little rich kid who's mommy bought him an expensive guitar. I know that he can't play it like Steve Vai. Yep, I was right. He can't play it like Steve Vai.

This is what I would think to myself if I saw you playing a Jem. You should just give up now, and sell your jem(to me) for real cheap, so that you may feel comfortable with yourself again. In fact, now that you're all scared shitless, I'll buy all your jems thank you. :twisted:

jonnyboy mills
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Northwest England

#35 Post by jonnyboy mills » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:29 pm

I have two jems a 7v and a white 555 as a back up got the legacy this one was used by steve on the g3 04 tour and both head and cab are signed by the man himself (sorry guys i had to slip that one in) and i have the same pedals next is the eventide (only realy for studio use, unless i get into a whitesnake tribute band :lol: ) the jem is an awsome guitar and i couldnt give two shiny shites what wise cracks i get from other players bcos i can shred for england!! . Take care everyone. :wink:

NatiFable
Member
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Deming New Mexico

#36 Post by NatiFable » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:57 pm

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong at all with buying a guitar that your hero, or a guitarist that knows what he's doing, plays/designed, ect. This has been talked about before on this board. http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1003&highlight=

Why would I have any second thoughts about playing a fantastic sounding guitar? Did you know that the Gibson Les Paul is actually named for a great guitarist-Les Paul. So where does it end? Anyone that plays a Strat is a Hendrix rip off? You play a Les Paul, just like Jimmy Page. So anyone that buys a PRS is doing so because of Santana? These are argueably the biggest artists associated with these companies. So by your logic, anyone that wants to play any one of these guitars is some form of copy cat.

What brand guitar do you play? Who do you listen too? Or are you a total original? Don't tell me, you have a guitar that you changed the pickups on and now you're able to speak such drivel from your pedestal-because you are the 'go where no man has gone before' guitarist.

Steve Vai and Ibanez designed a beautiful sounding guitar in the Jem. You get all the great stratish tones but you also get the modern sounds and combinations of the two. It looks great and the playability is fantastic. I'm sorry if you feel that we Jem owners have somehow 'sold our musical souls' because we bought a Jem.

You also mistakenly assume that the whole entire world knows that the Jem is Steve Vai's signature guitar. I love Steve Vai, but I know for a fact that the people out there in this world that aren't musicians don't know a Jem from a Strat from a Les Paul. If the world were that smart then Steve would have alot more Grammies.

If you're going to buy a Jem, then buy one because it's the guitar you want to play. If you have to sit there and judge what other people will say about that guitar, you had better develop alot thicker skin to deal with the harsher criticisms that are out there in life.

peace and light

jonnyboy mills
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Northwest England

#37 Post by jonnyboy mills » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:13 pm

well said!!![/quote]

GGGrev
Member
Member
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:03 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Contact:

#38 Post by GGGrev » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:54 pm

I'd tell them to fuck off and grow the fuck up instead.

And then proceed to rip their heart out or chop their hands off.

My 2000000 cents.

Jet444
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Australia

#39 Post by Jet444 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:42 am

Actually, i thought one of the great things of becoming a better guitarist was finally being able to get that one guitar you've always wanted and to then PLAY IT WITH PRIDE( :lol: ) honestly, i can't wait till i can finally one day say, "I'm going to buy an Ibanez Jem today." what Vai fan wouldn't want one?
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! :x
:D

bubble
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 am
Location: the moon

#40 Post by bubble » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:22 am

NatiFable wrote: So by your logic, anyone that wants to play any one of these guitars is some form of copy cat.

What brand guitar do you play? Who do you listen too? Or are you a total original? Don't tell me, you have a guitar that you changed the pickups on and now you're able to speak such drivel from your pedestal-because you are the 'go where no man has gone before' guitarist.

I'm sorry if you feel that we Jem owners have somehow 'sold our musical souls' because we bought a Jem.

If you're going to buy a Jem, then buy one because it's the guitar you want to play. If you have to sit there and judge what other people will say about that guitar, you had better develop alot thicker skin to deal with the harsher criticisms that are out there in life.
Some intersting bits n bobs in there, although it's quite a serious response to a fairly mild message. It's not a sin to relax ya know. :-)

Couple of things that I don't wholly agree with though - By my logic not everyone who owns a signature is trying to be a copycat, BUT you can't deny that some members of the guitar fraternity will make comments about such. (and this is based on experience of playing live with a Jem and not just what I think people are gonna say)

I don't really want to get in the "what do you play" debate, but I'm fully endorsed by a more than respectable brand and am currently teaching in several US Colleges. (including MI later in the year), so although I don't consider myself to be on a "pedestal" I wouldn't necessarily think that everything that leaves my mouth is "drivel" either.

You seem a bit overly sensitive about this thread about Jems - no offence meant from the thread, but it just annoys the crap out of me that people look straight past the great sounds and looks because it is a signature axe.

In fact buying a JEM is closer to being true to yourself if it delivers all of the things that you require, than buying something else just because it means you are not purchasing a signature guitar.

Bubble out.

NatiFable
Member
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Deming New Mexico

#41 Post by NatiFable » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:34 pm

bubble wrote:
NatiFable wrote: So by your logic, anyone that wants to play any one of these guitars is some form of copy cat.

What brand guitar do you play? Who do you listen too? Or are you a total original? Don't tell me, you have a guitar that you changed the pickups on and now you're able to speak such drivel from your pedestal-because you are the 'go where no man has gone before' guitarist.

I'm sorry if you feel that we Jem owners have somehow 'sold our musical souls' because we bought a Jem.

If you're going to buy a Jem, then buy one because it's the guitar you want to play. If you have to sit there and judge what other people will say about that guitar, you had better develop alot thicker skin to deal with the harsher criticisms that are out there in life.
Some intersting bits n bobs in there, although it's quite a serious response to a fairly mild message. It's not a sin to relax ya know. :-)

Couple of things that I don't wholly agree with though - By my logic not everyone who owns a signature is trying to be a copycat, BUT you can't deny that some members of the guitar fraternity will make comments about such. (and this is based on experience of playing live with a Jem and not just what I think people are gonna say)

I don't really want to get in the "what do you play" debate, but I'm fully endorsed by a more than respectable brand and am currently teaching in several US Colleges. (including MI later in the year), so although I don't consider myself to be on a "pedestal" I wouldn't necessarily think that everything that leaves my mouth is "drivel" either.

You seem a bit overly sensitive about this thread about Jems - no offence meant from the thread, but it just annoys the crap out of me that people look straight past the great sounds and looks because it is a signature axe.

In fact buying a JEM is closer to being true to yourself if it delivers all of the things that you require, than buying something else just because it means you are not purchasing a signature guitar.

Bubble out.
Y'know Bubble, when you title something as you have, you are obviously going to get people that will speak up for themselves. Was it entirely neccessary to call Jem's 'shite', and on Vai's site no less? And have the nerve to call it a 'mild message'? Pleassse...

What a dumbass!!! No, I'm sorry, I take that back-to call you a dumbass is to insult dumbasses everywhere.

Overly sensitive has nothing to do with my post-I'm a proud Jem owner/player. Which is a hell of a lot more than I can say about you. So let me ask you this-What kind of company would let you endorse their product anyway? It's obvious that you are an utterly horrible spokesperson! I thought the whole purpose of endorsement was to be able to talk about the products you are, <in one way or another>, paid to play! And also and more importantly, get other people to want to buy those products. What a joke! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

Please decide what it is you want to post and say it, and stand behind it. You think Jem's are 'shite' but you're thinking of buying one. Hi there Sybil...

You feel that Jem players must conform to what the 'guitar fraternity' thinks. Well, Bubble, you go ahead and conform. Go on and be the little posterboy for 'I can't even play the "best looking and sounding guitar" because I want the Frat boys to love me'. 'Bubble' is a perfect name for you buddy-Easy to see through and full of air.

By all means, please let me know where you'll be teaching-I want to see someone who can not only play their 'unmentionable' guitar but will also shove his head up his ass and also stick his foot in his mouth at the same time!!! <talk about a showstopper!>.

Best of luck with the teaching gigs-You do know what 'teaching' is, don't you"? Or is it just the 'endorsement' definition you have problems with?

peace and light

Linkin-France-JEM
Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:00 am

#42 Post by Linkin-France-JEM » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:11 am

Nikkoe wrote:Well, who wouldn't want to be, or try to be like Mr. Vai? :)

Haha, nevertheless, I think that Jems are just very good looking, that's all. If people associated you with an artist each time you pick up a guitar, then you'd have to start your own line of guitar, no? Also, it's not because you play a Jem that you shouldn't play Mr. Vai's songs, so that people don't think you're copying him. I mean, it's just a guitar that sounds good and looks good too. Personaly, I don't like the Gibson LesPauls, they're too big and too heavy for me, not enough frets; so if I bought a Jem instead, then, would it mean I tried to copy? Not really, just that the Jem answered my criterias more accuratly than the LesPaul.

Seriously. :roll:
Agreed

5thD
Member
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Cleveland
Contact:

#43 Post by 5thD » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:06 am

If somebody has a problem with me & my Jem, I say feed'um fish heads & rice.

hey, hey, you, you, get off my cloud!

OrangeVai
Newcomer
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 7:46 am

#44 Post by OrangeVai » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:38 am

Well i own a 77FP and to be honest i wouldn't use it on stage because i prefer to leave it at home !!! Safety measures uknow.....

Most people probably don't know about the Jem Being Steve Vai's Sigature model, they probaly don't even know what a sign model is !!

Still, you'll have a reduced part of the audience, the guitar players, complaining about it (this guy's got a jem and can't even play a decent riff), so if you plan to play Nu-Metal you'd better bring something else unless you've included a super-shred whammy solo.

A friend of mine wanted to join a Blues-band, but he went with his jem....
Well instatnly the guys looked at him like "you've got a jem, you porbably don't play blues but hairmetal-shit".

bubble
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 am
Location: the moon

#45 Post by bubble » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:40 am

NatiFable wrote:
bubble wrote:
NatiFable wrote:
Bubble out.
Y'know Bubble, when you title something as you have, you are obviously going to get people that will speak up for themselves. Was it entirely neccessary to call Jem's 'shite', and on Vai's site no less? And have the nerve to call it a 'mild message'? Pleassse...

Please decide what it is you want to post and say it, and stand behind it. You think Jem's are 'shite' but you're thinking of buying one. Hi there Sybil...

You feel that Jem players must conform to what the 'guitar fraternity' thinks. 'Bubble' is a perfect name for you buddy-Easy to see through and full of air.

peace and light
Haha.. relax, and don't take all so seriously.

I'm pretty sure that if you read past the title that I actually say that Jem are a great guitar!

My point has been, and continues to be that this is sometimes overshadowed by other peoples comments when playing one live... (based on experience so a totally valid comment)

Don't remember ever mentioning that guitar players should conform to playing any particular Brand just to fit in with the guitar fraternity... but that it's a shame that people feel the need to judge a player by the axe he plays....

As for the endorsement, the fact that I don't mention the brand I represent means that I can place my posts on this (and other) websites without prejudice or recriminations. Endorsement doesn't mean you have to sell the product 24hrs a day ya know.

anyway, I'm off to bite the hand hand that feeds me some more....

It's just a guitar NatiFable... not warfare.

Post Reply