Why JEMS are Shite

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

do you think someone playing a Jem live is....

cool.
17%
cool.
17%
cool.
17%
cool.
17%
cool, but trying to be a certain Mr Vai
5%
5%
5%
5%
not cool, play another guitar
3%
3%
3%
3%

Total votes: 388

bubble

Why JEMS are Shite

#1 Post by bubble » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:41 am

prob not the best way to start a thread, but what the hell....

Before you all come around my house with pitch forks and burning sticks, I would just like to say that Jems are perhaps the best looking and sounding guitars in the world... and I am seriously thinking about buying one.

BUT

More than any other guitar on the market (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) if you turn up to a gig with a Jem, everyone thinks you are trying to be Vai - even though the guy next to you is playing a Santana PRS or whatever.

comments such as "go-on steve" don't seem like the end of the world, but you really are in a lose/lose situation...... if you rip out FLOG or any other of your favourite tunes then it compounds it.

Or

if you just play non-virtuoso kinda chops people assume your shit and drill you for that too........

And the worst offenders for doing this.....guitarists (the "normal" audience thinks your guitar looks and sounds like the daddy)!

so here it is...

V41

#2 Post by V41 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:43 am

If you show up to a live gig playing a Jem and playing Vai tunes, who's to say you aren't trying to be Steve? :P

Nikkoe

#3 Post by Nikkoe » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:06 am

Well, who wouldn't want to be, or try to be like Mr. Vai? :)

Haha, nevertheless, I think that Jems are just very good looking, that's all. If people associated you with an artist each time you pick up a guitar, then you'd have to start your own line of guitar, no? Also, it's not because you play a Jem that you shouldn't play Mr. Vai's songs, so that people don't think you're copying him. I mean, it's just a guitar that sounds good and looks good too. Personaly, I don't like the Gibson LesPauls, they're too big and too heavy for me, not enough frets; so if I bought a Jem instead, then, would it mean I tried to copy? Not really, just that the Jem answered my criterias more accuratly than the LesPaul.

Seriously. :roll:

bubble

#4 Post by bubble » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:21 am

it's not about wheter you are trying to be Vai or not..... it's the fact that if you play a Jem it's that much more harder for you to represent what it is you want to be..... and that's always been the point!

If you played some awesome stuff on lets say a £200 guitar and it sounded amazing people would be like " wow... he can really play that fuckin thing"

But do it on a Jem nd it's a totally different reaction! - and it's the guitar fraternity who are the most guilty of doing this, even though we (include myself here too) get reallt pissy when people just say "vai's crap etc etc".

Nikkoe

#5 Post by Nikkoe » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:44 am

Ahah, then buy a really crappy guitar, do your stuff and get reknown, than make up your own brand of guitar. That's if you wanna be you.

Or else, who cares what other people say? You know who you are and what you do.

acoates

#6 Post by acoates » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:27 am

When I can afford one I will be playing a jem without hesitation. Most of the people I've played for anyway have never heard of Vai anyway so it wont matter. They are beautiful and sound and play great. I doubt I will ever be as good or try to play just like him anyway, so if people think im trying to be him their arguments cant really hold up

another virtuoso

#7 Post by another virtuoso » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:03 am

I'm saveing up for a 7vwh right now, and for a while i almost considered getting something else for this reason. But, everyone who i've told i'm getting this guitar has been like "woah man thats badass" so i kinda changed my mind. Although, I do really like the gear vai uses and i've got to be careful picking out my equiptment becuase i dont want to look like i really am copying him. I already have his signature bad horsie 2 wah pedal, and a little alligator, but im planning on getting rid of the 'gator. I want an EVH phaser too though, which just happens to be in steves rig also :roll:

but i think i could get away with useing a jem and most of the gear i want even if some of it is used by vai becuase the great majority do not know what all is in the mans rig.

bubble

#8 Post by bubble » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:07 am

again, I can't help but feel you've strayed from my point...

it's not about having you own brand of guitar, or even buying a crappy one and getting known, or even caring what people say. (cause none of that really bothers me) - I'm sponsored by music man, so don't really care!

It's the fact that steve Vai as a brand name has always maintained it's integrity, and yet the signature model Jem which has achieved this (with a little help from steve's fingers) at the same time disolves this quality purely by the reaction that it's fans display... check out the fuckin irony in that!

SalamanderExcess

#9 Post by SalamanderExcess » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:23 am

It is a beast of a guitar, but i wouldnt buy one, i try to be unique. Noone else i know got my guitar. Also, universes are ok, you can get them witout tryin to copy vai.

Vai_in_ga
Newcomer

hello

#10 Post by Vai_in_ga » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:35 am

I own a jem 7dbk. The one Vai used on the ultra zone album. I am at this moment rying to trade it for another guitar. I really want an Ernie Ball music man John petrucci model. Anyone interested?

Big Bad Bill

#11 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:09 am

I suppose turning up to a gig with a Jem will cause people to make assumptions about you and your playing. If you can live up to those assumptions, fine, if not, they may level claims of 'style without substance' at you-whether that's right or not. You'd be a brave person to have one on stage though!

{TKG}MALICE

#12 Post by {TKG}MALICE » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:34 am

i would show up to a gig and play for the love of god... actually i AM doing that lol, for an intermission thing and im prolly gonna play the animal 2 so yah....and comments like go on steve or something like that would be a complement to me so i dont care if it looks like im trying to be him, the fact is i would like to be lol

Tris

#13 Post by Tris » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:05 pm

I play the RG350 White with Pear Pickguard, I can't even afford a Jem!! I don't care what anyone thinks but, I do know what you mean.

Surrender_Shyboy85
Newcomer

#14 Post by Surrender_Shyboy85 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 pm

I'm gonna be purchasing myself a Jem 7WHV and i can't wait to be honest I'd sell my soul........but wouldn't get even half the price of it lol. I'm not an amazing guitarist and barely play any vai song but I'm trying and need some inspiration hence why I'm get myself a JEM :D .
I suppose hes right when saying that whoever shows up to a gig with a jem is trying to be Mr Vai but the Ibanez guitars are amazing. You can get a great sound out of them no matter what your style is, expect banjo .... or the triangle.......uh em.......... the jems are an amazing instrument hence why an amazing guitarist is using them. :D

MR4Y

#15 Post by MR4Y » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:03 pm

The JEM is a artwork instrument. If you stop thinking how "vai" you're beign and concentrate on your playing you'll impress more people then: "look at me I have a steve vai guitar!"