Jamming tunes.

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Christophar

What are some of the stuff you guys play when you jam with your pals? Any chord progressions or tunes you enojoy? post em!
PureVa|

for fun jammin we just play hendrix...and that usually escalates into a 15min improv fest. were currently workin on Giant Balls of Gold cause hendrix can get a little monotonous heh...

yea were hopefully going to play Giant Balls of Gold for the talent show in May at out school. when that comes around ill have someone record it and ill show you guys :D
1118916GB

I jam along to anything. I would listen to the radio and play what they play until some shit like green Day comes up. Then I'd put in a CD that I feel like jamming to. Depending on the mood, I might be in pissed off goth mood and play kkorn. if I feel like playing lead, I'd put in Steve Vai or play some blues CD's or Ottmar Liebert. One thing I do do too is put in different genres. I would jam with Ottmar Liebert (Great flamenco player) and Al DiMeola.

It helps to play different genres. Guitarists tend to be stuck in the Jimi Hendrix blues pentatonic scale using the 3 fingers and moving in those boxes playing the same old licks that we all know and that tends to get boring. Ok he is going fast in the 4 bend to 5, 1, b7, 5 repeat. Ok after he does that lick that every guy tends to do (Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughn) and now he'll play a 2nd to sound different. Its all predictable. Its good until u understand it. You have to challange yourself. Vai is complicated if you don't have sheet music for example. There are times where he is playing E Lydian but then he would change key or the scale. You can even listen to sounds that are going on in the house. I notice that a phone goes down a minor arpeggio. The garage opening is a quarter note sharp B.
hewhoshreds

The best tunes to jam to are your own. It's alot more rewarding and easier to work around. However, other bands that are great for jamming over are Vai, Satriani (Obviously), Racer X, Pelican (Melodic instrumental doom), and..........The Darkness! :D .

Give 'em a go and see what you think.
{TKG}MALICE

when we get in the jamming kinda mood : little wing, for the love of god, the animal, poisin the well, but alot of different stuff.... just a few examples
Christophar

I like to get a nice simple progresstion going that way the less advanced players can get in on it as well. Usaly I get one guy to play the basic rhythem then I get the other guys to play some triads or maybe some 7ths then the more advanced players can duel over it. It works great when playing with lots of differnt skill levels and lots og people.
Little_Dreamer

What about
Rocking in the free world :guitar
Whole lotta love - (Led Zeppelin) :) it f***ing rocks!!!
Oh when the saints :D
smoke on the water 8)
some blues in E :wink:
Foxy Lady :peace
Little Wing :cry:
Smells like teen Spirit :headbang

this is what i remember from my last 2 cool Jam sessions
these are all standards but they're great fun to play and the good thing is you can play them everywhere and nearly everyone will know them :wink:
btw, what do you prefer at jam sessions: Rythm or Lead guitar
İ love playing a solo but i enjoy even more to play a good, creative rythm guitar for the others to improvise over it 8)
fercho

if you want to jam i would like to play something of my inspiration, because if you play something of other guys you are stealing, the best thing you can do is take the scales but not the same notes that the original song, well is point of view.
Jay3

My Brothers a Bass player and on our spare time we jam a bunch of tunes, including the following:

Texas Flood- Stevie Ray Vaughn (good fun for soloing and improvisation)
Voodoo Chile- Jimi Hendrix (same as above)
Little Wing- Jimi Hendrix (ditto)'
And we play some Ozzy, Like Mr.Crowley.

So almost anything that you can improvise on for 10 minutes without gettin bored, Hense blues.And occasianly depending on your mood some metal.
Jay3

Oh and Crossfire by Vaughn.
Bill Efting
Newcomer

With my last band we jammed a lot of old school Metallica and Megadeth kind of stuff.

But with my backing band I have now we just rock out improvisations and occasionally a Vai or Dream Theater song. Home has been on heavy rotation recently.
arpeggio_owen

hendrix is the king of jams, well as gb said he is all blusey and predictable, but dude he paved the way, and he does do melodic thing and fuse the natural minor with pentatonic for a sweet sound, and stuff like star spangled banner and all taht anti-solo stuff. Any way geeting back to point he is a mad guitarist to jam over cause he basicly jammed every live show, little wing awsome instumental cause you can do the intro then go straight to the solo and it has a mad prgression.
stu_hig

In school our band always jam to Smoke on the Water. It's an awesome tune! :) A while back we also done I'm the Hell Outta Here which is a pretty good jamming tune.
Luan

With a friend we used to play riffs by any band and the improvise on them.
Some wich I used: mouth for war (the solo riff of the pantera song), Not easy way out (ozzy song) and others