All has failed

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Little_Dreamer

What about
AC/DC's Who made who, it already has great lead passages (tapping included) :wink:
Satch's Tears in the rain...

İf someone asks me to play something, i usually just improvise some jazzy or Spanish stuff (arpeggied Chords, two handed Chords + some melodic stuff, so it never get's boring and it works :D (İ was in the school orchestra after the first time my music teacher heard me play), if someone asks you to play a specific song you don't know, just say, ,can İ hear it?, and figure it out, they will be very impressed, the main melody or chord changes are enough to show you're a good musician :wink:
Oh, and very important, if someone tries to bash you by playing some fast stuff, play something slow and melodic or join him playing the same riff he does/did and show how much cleaner you can play 8) , if you play some faster stuff they might call you a show off again...
İt's so said listening to people playing Malmsteen stuff and screwing up half of the notes, because they try to play faster than they can control :cry:
and then they call you a show off because you can play Rescue me or bury me. İt's a shame :evil:
*theanimal*05

I got bullied for ages cos they reckon im showing off. bunch of nobs....

In todays world, Kids my age (13-18) follow the crowd so much its sickening.
I read an article in Guitar player magazine on Yngwie. He was saying that Being good at your instrument is becoming cool and is slowly but surely coming back. Vai has aslo said this in a interview. I find this hard to believe.
has anyone else seen this happening.....8yr olds playing the end of answers solo, shredding crossroads with a blind fold etc... i sure havent.

Now im not saying their arent any good young players out there. Its just not as popular as it used to be.( not that i was around when it was...so i was told..)

I blame Nirvana and society ;)
bubble

can't speak for everywhere in the world, but there is a definate swing towards guitar playing in mainstream music in the uk... although much of this is in the alternative (lost prophets etc) genre, there is more stuff coming into the top 50 chart!

And even if not on cd, i have to confess that I got dragged to a britney spears concert with my much younger sister couple of years ago..... now i'm not a fan of that per say, but on a couple of tracks her guitarist was doing some wicked stuff - and i'm talking proper shreddy extended swept arps etc!

So even in times of musical drought, there is still good stuff about, just have to look harder to find it!

don't think we'll have 80's shred back for a long time, but maybe tasty solos will about pretty soon!
Pyrostasis

As a teacher myself i think that this guy is a bit of a fool. Yes - hes allowed an opinion. He could have said 'Thats not my thing' or words to that effect, but by what you are saying he just slagged Vai off? Who is he to say what is good and what is bad. A lot of my students are into bands like Good Charlotte and Linkin Park etc. Whilst i dont exactly spend my hours listening to this i NEVER say to them 'Thats crap - why dont you listen to some good music?'. As a teacher he should recognise that people have individual tastes and you have to respect them to keep and students interested.
another virtuoso

floevo wrote:Im glad i dont go to school anymore!! Have you got a new guitar teacher? if you can play all those vai songs and your teacher thinks vai is crap, looks like you should be givin the lessons mate!!. Teachers are ovr rated anyway. Go it alone and then you can express yourself freely without anybody breathin down your neck about scales and chords.

Keep widdlin man. When the girls see how fast your fingers move, they,ll come runnin (literally).
A teacher is only over rated if he doesnt know how to teach.

I have a teacher and he's awsome. very cool guy and he knows a ton of stuff about guitar which he is now pouring into me. He doesnt bash the music you like even if he isnt into it - he is open minded. We work on my physical and mental abilities. I learn what he gives me so i can learn some more the next week. He likes his job and enjoys seeing his students move forward and become better players.

^that is a teacher. If yours doesnt doesnt seem to compare, it might be time for you to find someone else! How are you suppose to learn and grow as an individual player if the one you are learning from is narrow minded? You will only become what he wants you to be instead of what you want you to be.
LongBow

Here's what I think:
1. Do not try to convince your teacher, more than that, do not talk Vai with him.
2. Do not change your teacher if he does a good job teaching you blues or whatever, just for the fact he does not like Mr. Vai. It is ridiculous!
3. Don't put pearls in front of the pigs, in other words, do not play Vai in the places where that typa of music YOU ARE SURE is not appreciated - i.e your school.
4. Just hang on to what you are doing, all great talent had hard lifes (at least childhoods :))
wholetone

This is a tough issue, especially with young students who quit playing caus' simply, they want to be flashy but don't want to learn the scales , modes, etc..Some "teachers" mock many great guitarists that play well, that's why, you guessed it, caus thay are simply jealous or missed the reality boat, and went on to have a child with Kathy the bartender. Do you think they really want to be home teaching a fifteen year old than be out on a world tour somewhere ? I would first learn the basics of the guitar, then split from teacher who thinks there is a "certain" way to approach the guitar.
bcgvh

Yeah, it really does take a guitar player and/or musician to really "get" and enjoy guys like Vai. Vai is one of my favorite musicians, but before I really got into music theory and the guitar this was not the case. Why? Vai is complicated and his stuff goes over everyone else's heads.....you don't ever hear Vai on the radio....people like simple, catchy songs...therefore you have bands like the White Stripes selling records out the you know what and idiots thinking that guitar players like that are the absolute best.....
bcgvh

Yeah, it really does take a guitar player and/or musician to really "get" and enjoy guys like Vai. Vai is one of my favorite musicians, but before I really got into music theory and the guitar this was not the case. Why? Vai is complicated and his stuff goes over everyone else's heads.....you don't ever hear Vai on the radio....people like simple, catchy songs...therefore you have bands like the White Stripes selling records out the you know what and idiots thinking that guitar players like that are the absolute best.....
DaniHel

*theanimal*05 wrote:For those that responded to the forum 'Vai has No feel' i would like to say thankyou. I took much of your advice and did what was necessary by making a cd compilation for my teacher of some of vai's most beautiful songs. i aslo added some bluesy stuff to prove him wrong about the comments he said.

this is the list of songs on the Cd

1. Tender Surrender
2. Rescue Me or Bury me
3. Blue Powder
4. Jibboom
5. The riddle
6. Windows To the soul
7. Melissa's garden
8.Chirstmas Time is here
9.Feathers
10.Glorious

a week later after giving him this cd of vai at is best, he still states proudly that Vai cant Play with feel and cant play blues.

Apart from my teacher, the kids at school wouldnt know a good guitar for shit. They know im a huge fan of vai and constantly i get remarks like "Vai is shit" "John Frusciante would smash him" " Joe satriani is crap" bla bla bla....

I can honestly say that i am an accomplished player in the technical sense. I can play many vai songs all the way through like freakshow, blue powder, Rescue Me or Bury Me.

For My Assesment for yr 10 i played and sang Rescue me or bury me all the way through. I got bagged out big time cos everyone thought i was trying to be a wanker. WTF is fuckin wrong with bein good at your instrument. I didnt spend 4 hours a day on weekdays and almost 8 on weekends to be bagged out for bein crap.

What annoys me even more is when another player gets up in my class and plays acdc with many mistakes, he gets hailed by everyone for bein a great player.

These events have lead me to my next few questions..

"Why are people like us who choose to dedicate themselves to their instrument, suffer constant verbal abuse for being show offs?Why does everyone prefer The guitar player from the White Stripes to people like EVH and Vai? Is clear evidence of this in Rolling Stones top 100 PLayers of all time? Has Guitar playing gone downhill? What is your view on The current scene?

regards Tobi Atkins
Where the fuck is "Lotus Feet" , "whispering a prayer" and "for th love of god"!?
DaniHel

*theanimal*05 wrote:For those that responded to the forum 'Vai has No feel' i would like to say thankyou. I took much of your advice and did what was necessary by making a cd compilation for my teacher of some of vai's most beautiful songs. i aslo added some bluesy stuff to prove him wrong about the comments he said.

this is the list of songs on the Cd

1. Tender Surrender
2. Rescue Me or Bury me
3. Blue Powder
4. Jibboom
5. The riddle
6. Windows To the soul
7. Melissa's garden
8.Chirstmas Time is here
9.Feathers
10.Glorious

a week later after giving him this cd of vai at is best, he still states proudly that Vai cant Play with feel and cant play blues.

Apart from my teacher, the kids at school wouldnt know a good guitar for shit. They know im a huge fan of vai and constantly i get remarks like "Vai is shit" "John Frusciante would smash him" " Joe satriani is crap" bla bla bla....

I can honestly say that i am an accomplished player in the technical sense. I can play many vai songs all the way through like freakshow, blue powder, Rescue Me or Bury Me.

For My Assesment for yr 10 i played and sang Rescue me or bury me all the way through. I got bagged out big time cos everyone thought i was trying to be a wanker. WTF is fuckin wrong with bein good at your instrument. I didnt spend 4 hours a day on weekdays and almost 8 on weekends to be bagged out for bein crap.

What annoys me even more is when another player gets up in my class and plays acdc with many mistakes, he gets hailed by everyone for bein a great player.

These events have lead me to my next few questions..

"Why are people like us who choose to dedicate themselves to their instrument, suffer constant verbal abuse for being show offs?Why does everyone prefer The guitar player from the White Stripes to people like EVH and Vai? Is clear evidence of this in Rolling Stones top 100 PLayers of all time? Has Guitar playing gone downhill? What is your view on The current scene?

regards Tobi Atkins
Where the fuck is "Lotus Feet" , "whispering a prayer" and "for the love of god"!?
Tobacco Road

I don't get why everyone here is getting so offended. People will say what they want to say, and if they say vai blows, who gives a fuck. Personally i love it when people say he is shit becuase they have no idea what they are really missing out on. If there all getting off on the main stream shit, thats great, other then that you shouldn't really give two fucks, we all know how amazing vai is!
UtopianFir
Newcomer

Tobacco Road wrote:I don't get why everyone here is getting so offended. People will say what they want to say, and if they say vai blows, who gives a fuck. Personally i love it when people say he is shit becuase they have no idea what they are really missing out on. If there all getting off on the main stream shit, thats great, other then that you shouldn't really give two fucks, we all know how amazing vai is!
Exactly. People are afraid of what they can't understand or comprehend. Jealousy can make people say alot of things they wouldn't normally say. I hate when you play after someone who is not even in the same ball park as you and you make them look bad without even meaning to, then everyone calls you a show off or gives you dirty looks just because you've actually spent time practicing and you can actually fuckin play. I've found there is a fine line between a show of technique and "wanking." Most people will dig it if you only show off a little bit, but when your playing is over the top all the time only a select few (mainly fellow guitarists) will truly enjoy it. When I play for people I'll usually throw in a few sweeps here and there and do some tapping but nothing to the point of blatantly showing off. That seems to give the best results.
Tobacco Road

You couldn't of said it better UtopianFir
Tobacco Road

John Frusciante isn't one of the best players around today, but he has so much feel and love for the insturment its unreal, he pores every fucking emotion he has into the guitar, just becuase he can' shred doesn't mean hes not a great player, but for some pretty decent playing check out the mothers milk album, some kick ass stuff, i dunno what happened to him after, at the time he was a killer at the age of 18