All has failed

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
*theanimal*05

For those that responded to the forum 'Vai has No feel' i would like to say thankyou. I took much of your advice and did what was necessary by making a cd compilation for my teacher of some of vai's most beautiful songs. i aslo added some bluesy stuff to prove him wrong about the comments he said.

this is the list of songs on the Cd

1. Tender Surrender
2. Rescue Me or Bury me
3. Blue Powder
4. Jibboom
5. The riddle
6. Windows To the soul
7. Melissa's garden
8.Chirstmas Time is here
9.Feathers
10.Glorious

a week later after giving him this cd of vai at is best, he still states proudly that Vai cant Play with feel and cant play blues.

Apart from my teacher, the kids at school wouldnt know a good guitar for shit. They know im a huge fan of vai and constantly i get remarks like "Vai is shit" "John Frusciante would smash him" " Joe satriani is crap" bla bla bla....

I can honestly say that i am an accomplished player in the technical sense. I can play many vai songs all the way through like freakshow, blue powder, Rescue Me or Bury Me.

For My Assesment for yr 10 i played and sang Rescue me or bury me all the way through. I got bagged out big time cos everyone thought i was trying to be a wanker. WTF is fuckin wrong with bein good at your instrument. I didnt spend 4 hours a day on weekdays and almost 8 on weekends to be bagged out for bein crap.

What annoys me even more is when another player gets up in my class and plays acdc with many mistakes, he gets hailed by everyone for bein a great player.

These events have lead me to my next few questions..

"Why are people like us who choose to dedicate themselves to their instrument, suffer constant verbal abuse for being show offs?Why does everyone prefer The guitar player from the White Stripes to people like EVH and Vai? Is clear evidence of this in Rolling Stones top 100 PLayers of all time? Has Guitar playing gone downhill? What is your view on The current scene?

regards Tobi Atkins
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why care?

Do what you want to do, do what you enjoy and if anyone else has a problem with that.. tough.

There will always be more people who think Vai is some sort of unemotional fx-happy wanker than there are people who truely dig what he does. So what. There are also people who think Britney is the best thing since sliced bread (although I'll admit that she has two big plus points).

Guitar music will only be dead when those who truely enjoy it, stop playing it because others think it's shit.

J
bubble

welcome to the muso world my friend.....

however, wait till you bust out some of those tunes on stage with an audience who are a bit more open...... should go down real well

Also, if you wanna impress ur mates then play ac/dc or clapton or whatever they prefer... some call that shit selling out, but being good at what you do also includes knowing what to play and when.

If yer mates also think frusciante can wax mr vai's ass then I'm betting they haven't really heard much vai, or just know it winds you up!!
BobsterLobster

I'll just play devil's advocate here...
maybe your ACDC playing friend is more of a showman than you, and more into sharing his love of music rather than trying to show off with loads of technique.
You have to examine WHY you play music... if it's for recognition, approval and to impress, then stop right now to save yourself a lot of pain. If you play to express yourself and to have fun with the music, then go for it. It is a fine line however between having integrity and being self-indulgent. If people aren't appreciating it, it's always healthy to ask yourself if you are starting to disappear up your own backside. Do you play with a chip on your shoulder? Or are you sharing genuine love and joy?
BobsterLobster

Oh yeah, didn't really answer your questions!
Most people who are into Vai are guitarists and musicians. This is because it takes a certain level of musical comprehension to really GET what it's all about. The majority of people who are into let's say White Stripes are more into the look, and the simplicity of it. It's no accident that the song that got them famous is one of the best music videos I've ever seen. Then there's the whole brother-sister stuff which makes them more of a talking point and adds a dynamic to the band that intrigues people. They are well styled by their marketing team and have a very strong visual identity. And their songs really aren't bad with some catchy hooks.
Of course, it's not really for me and they're way overrated but as a photographer I can really understand why they've done well. It's a sad fact, that it's only been since I've become a photographer that I really understand the music biz... I know if a band will make it, not by whether they can play, but if they are very photogenic I know they will rise to the top. Vai has always been a very photogenic artist as well as a great musician, and he has never been afraid to take advantage of this.
Most of the population think that they love music, but in fact what they respond to is the IMAGE of the artists. So if you're a musician, you need to think about how you express yourself visually. You don't have to be beautiful or gorgeous, but you need to have style. You don't need to copy anyone else for this, but you need to be aware of it. I guarantee that if you went into school with a VERY strong visual style, people would take far more notice of your music.
Good luck!
Alex Smith

There will always be "cool." And there will always be insecure morons. And to insecure morons (which, due to many reasons in modern history, has become a very high percentage of the human population), "cool" will always outstrip "good." It's a fact of life that is unfortunate, but part of our wiring.

I'd say, get a new teacher.
Big Bad Bill

It's just narrow mindedness and perhaps even jealousy! How anyone can fail to be impressed by you being able to play 'Rescue Me.....' is improbable so I'd suggest they're in denial and the praise they heap on badly played AC/DC is probably them trying to be encouraging to the hapless player! Steve says himself that he isn't a convincing blues player. I say, who cares about the blues anyway?

Jeroen is right-ignore them and carry on with your craft. If you are continuing to learn from your guitar teacher-then continue with him. If you find his narrow-minded and somewhat immature attitude annoying, seek out more learned and adult teacher!

All that matters is that we are aware of Steve's great music and appreciate wha he does.
Tris

I can't believe this guy, Steve's style is BURSTING with feeling, if you're instructor can't see that there's something wrong with him... as far as playing the blues, Steve's music is littered with blues licks... of course he doesn't play the blues that's not his bag. SRV didn't do what Vai does either.

That moron Instructor of yours just doesn't like Vai or his style, it's like saying Britany Spears music sucks, yet she's sold 25 million CD's who's right who's wrong?. Musical preference... that's all.

I don't know you're instructor but I hate him. :wink:
alienillusions
Banned

Tris wrote:I can't believe this guy, Steve's style is BURSTING with feeling, if you're instructor can't see that there's something wrong with him... as far as playing the blues, Steve's music is littered with blues licks... of course he doesn't play the blues that's not his bag. SRV didn't do what Vai does either.

That moron Instructor of yours just doesn't like Vai or his style, it's like saying Britany Spears music sucks, yet she's sold 25 million CD's who's right who's wrong?. Musical preference... that's all.

I don't know you're instructor but I hate him. :wink:
He's entitled to his opinion, and just because he doesn't like Vai doesn't make him a moron. Hate is a pretty strong word to use for such a petty issue...
TonyMacalpine

people can get into acdc and that sorta thing (and im not dissing them here cuz i love their stuff) because its non threatening. when u hear someone play like a vai tune or an EVH tune, the level of technical accumen and the dedication can be intimidating.

ive noticed that sensing the feeling in a piece of music is a matter of being open to it. having a large degree of technical skill often makes people close themselves off to the feelings the artist is trying to convey. Hemmingway, the author, made use of very long sentences and phrases. the average reader is easily exhausted by those passages, but someone who reads above a tenth or eleventh grade level can process the material and understand the feelings.

also, what school are you at where acdc is more accepted than vai, i sure hope its not a music school. btw, people who came up in the 50's and 60's often branded angus young as a wanker. alot of the 80's heavy metal techniques are derived from his playing too (the open string pull offs in thunderstruck). keep practicing man, one of the most soulful players in my humble opinions is shawn lane (who could play unbelievably fast). you know when music is good when it makes the hair on your body stand on end. shawn's music does that to me and so does vai's.

alot of folks that play guitar dont have the discipline to get good enough to play a vai song, they like to pull other folks down who can, just like crabs in a barrell. they arent true musicians, just posers trying to score chicks or something. f*ck em.
vinccenzzo

Get another teacher. This one obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. He probably didn't even listen to your cd.
Also, what does "playing with feel" mean anyway ? I know a bunch of guys who suck at guitar but when they play, they really get into it. Is that what it means ?
The "feel" thing is an excuse for people who have poor or limited technique. "My technique sucks so let's make up something...let's call it FEEL".
It doesn't make sense anyway because a better technique enables you to transcribe your emotions better.
On the other hand, like it was said in previous posts, you need to choose the right music for the right audience (or the other way around) if you don't want to be rejected. But if you don't give a f**k it's even better, because then you're free...
vinccenzzo

Also I didn't hear your performance of rescue me or bury me. I assume you played it very well. This is a very difficult piece and if played wrong with no accuracy, it will sound like a bunch of nonsense which could explain people's reaction. Nothing is worse that a shredder that can't shred right.
PureVa|

Apart from my teacher, the kids at school wouldnt know a good guitar for shit. They know im a huge fan of vai and constantly i get remarks like "Vai is shit" "John Frusciante would smash him" " Joe satriani is crap" bla bla bla....
well, my friends are not NEARLY as into Vai as I am. im known by everyone who has ever heard of me at my school as the kid who is "obsessed" with Vai. many of whom dont like Vai at all. and i love it like that. i love the feeling i get when im listening to my music knowing that no one around me is listening to the same thing. its all about bein an individual. whenever someone tells me that Vai sucks (and they do occasionally) i just say, well i listen to him cause his music speaks to me. its the same with the people who like rap ect, that kind of music apeals to their lifestyle. i have no complaints about any genre of music (no matter how untalented the artist is... :wink: ). as long as youre listening to music, youre cool with me. i know its extremely annoying for people to put down your hero believe me i know, but just be cool about it and continue to dig whatever music you dig. and theres my 2 cents on the matter

:wink:

oh yea and if you can REALLY play recue me or bury me all the way through, i would love to hear that....as would anyone else on this forum. :shock: lets see/hear what you got bro!
Knyq

BobsterLobster wrote:Oh yeah, didn't really answer your questions!
Most people who are into Vai are guitarists and musicians. This is because it takes a certain level of musical comprehension to really GET what it's all about. The majority of people who are into let's say White Stripes are more into the look, and the simplicity of it. It's no accident that the song that got them famous is one of the best music videos I've ever seen. Then there's the whole brother-sister stuff which makes them more of a talking point and adds a dynamic to the band that intrigues people. They are well styled by their marketing team and have a very strong visual identity. And their songs really aren't bad with some catchy hooks.
Of course, it's not really for me and they're way overrated but as a photographer I can really understand why they've done well. It's a sad fact, that it's only been since I've become a photographer that I really understand the music biz... I know if a band will make it, not by whether they can play, but if they are very photogenic I know they will rise to the top. Vai has always been a very photogenic artist as well as a great musician, and he has never been afraid to take advantage of this.
Most of the population think that they love music, but in fact what they respond to is the IMAGE of the artists. So if you're a musician, you need to think about how you express yourself visually. You don't have to be beautiful or gorgeous, but you need to have style. You don't need to copy anyone else for this, but you need to be aware of it. I guarantee that if you went into school with a VERY strong visual style, people would take far more notice of your music.
Good luck!

you are spot on there. image makes a huge difference in how a musician/band is percieved.
Pi2plank

i'm a part of the muonline online community (an online game) & one of our motto's in our guild is: "we are surrounded by mediocrity" (cause we beat the crap out of our enemies despite us being an underdog)

as frank zappa said it: "Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the @ss."