Vais vibrato

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
dweezil 9

Vais vibrato

#1 Post by dweezil 9 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:59 am

Okay so I've used the search, and like usual it was no help. I checked out the information about his vibrato style on his site, but I was wondering if someone couldgive me more information, my vibrato is pretty poor I think, Vais vibratos are so amazing, i know he uses the circular vibrato, so any help on this techneque? I can't seem to do it.

Thanks in advance.

shredlord

#2 Post by shredlord » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:14 am

vai uses several styles of finger-vibrato. actually mostly the standard rock vibrato.

his "signature"-vibrato is the circular technique. it's a mixture between the rock-vibrato, where you bend the string slightly up and down in a slight amplitude, and the classical (violin-like-)vibrato, where your finger slides up and down the specific fret quickly. the classical vibrato is very subtle, and not very much used in rock guitar music.
to combine the two techniques and imitate steve's vibrato is a little bit awkward... it's just a circular motion of your finger.
i would suggest that you start on a low, wide-fretted note, like 5th fret on the g or b string.
in slow motion that would be:
start with your finger on a certain point like right before the fret. now bend the string slightly upwards (with "up" i mean up like thick E-string and down like thin e-string) while moving your finger up to the middle of the note, right between the 4th and 5th fret. the slide your finger more up (but only to the point where the string would buzz), in direction of the 4th fretwire, while releasing the bend.
that way it sounds quite weird, but if you did it right, you should have executed a kinda "C"-shape movement. continue that movement clockwise, till you get to the point you started on.
you're just moving your finger in a circle.
it is a very fluid sounding vibrato technique, but also difficult to do at some time. even steve doesn't use it all the time, if you watched his videos etc.
just start slowly and very perfect, try to avoid stringbuzzing, make it sound even and harmonic, i.e. don't overbend it. to see an example of the technique, watch, for example, the "tender surrender"-vid, steve does it quite a lot in here.

but if it doesn't fit you, or it feels bullshit, forget about it, and try to make your normal vibrato perfect (especially messing around with the width of your vibrato, or make it slow or quick). try hendrix', gilbert's or malmsteen's vibrato, they really have a nice one.

ChickenScratch

#3 Post by ChickenScratch » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:25 am

People have talked Steve's vibrato to death but nobody can duplicate it properly ... or so far I've heard.

another virtuoso

#4 Post by another virtuoso » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:24 pm

Steve talking about vibrato techniques: http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/84/vibrato.html

Moderator777

#5 Post by Moderator777 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:08 pm

http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117

More info there. 8)

Oh, and the search function worked just fine for me. Maybe you are not using it correctly?

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com